Cyclist Slams Into Stone Wall...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nobody actually does a parachute jump for charity. They do a parachute jump because they want to, the charity bit it a ruse to get people to pay for it. I can well believe that they only raise about £30 each since the first £250ish of sponsorship goes to fund the jump itself. It makes me very angry that people could even consider asking me to fund their jollies, and that I come across as tight for refusing.

Buck

Guru
Looks like he got a bit gung-ho and was travelling way too fast for the conditions especially as he didn't know the road!

Tim Hall

Oh no, it was in The Telegraph if I recall correctly, so it must be true! It was part of an article where the NHS were practically begging folk not to do charity parachute jumps because of the immense cost to the organisation.

Now, The Telegraph would never ever, ever, even consider printing a fib? ;)
Gosh, if only I'd posted a link to some information on this.

Tin Pot

Guru
Oh no, it was in The Telegraph if I recall correctly, so it must be true! It was part of an article where the NHS were practically begging folk not to do charity parachute jumps because of the immense cost to the organisation.

Now, The Telegraph would never ever, ever, even consider printing a fib? ;)

Found it!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yx55AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=cost+of+injuries+during+charity+fundraisers&source=bl&ots=wYhEP1NTcN&sig=-y5TisrGv5VL_8q77DYQAORQ6b0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDIQ6AEwA2oVChMIyc-ZvL_JxwIVIYLbCh3UlAYa#v=onepage&q=cost of injuries during charity fundraisers&f=false

It refers to a study in Charity Navigator 2007 that in "painful effort" fundraisers (endurance events) the average cost of injuries was $1.13 per $1 raised

I'm pleased with myself :biggrin:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Looks like he got a bit gung-ho and was travelling way too fast for the conditions especially as he didn't know the road!

Put your hands up anyone who has never done that.

I think being pixxing wet through up on the moors is a good excuse for getting a bit eager to get somewhere warm and dry. I bet he wasn't thinking the back of an ambulance though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You do realise that if you eat crap and generally don't take care of yourself, cycling probably won't save you from them? OK, you'll be better off than a couch potato that neglects themselves, but isn't everyone?
From what I've seen of riders on sportives at least 50% of any field are well overweight. Exercise only keeps your weight down if you combine it with a sensible diet.

Buck

Guru
Put your hands up anyone who has never done that.

I think being pixxing wet through up on the moors is a good excuse for getting a bit eager to get somewhere warm and dry. I bet he wasn't thinking the back of an ambulance though.[/QUOTE
You're spot on. All guilty as charged.

Hindsight is great if a tad late.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
:hello: (as long as you don't count riding when it really wasn't safe to do so: I only rode because I'd put a helmet on, ergo was safe :rolleyes: )

Well he had a helmet on and put his hands up to his mistake. My friend came up with a tongue in cheek notion. She suggested that when we put a cycle helmet on, we pre programme ourselves to crashing.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Tim was quoting the conclusions of a study. What is the failure of logic there?

OK, on reflection the logic is sound - but the average of only £30 raised per charity jumper sounds very unlikely, even allowing for the fact that the study is about 15 years old. Most charities appear to insist that you guarantee raising around double the cost of the jump (£200+).

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Nobody actually does a parachute jump for charity. They do a parachute jump because they want to, the charity bit it a ruse to get people to pay for it. I can well believe that they only raise about £30 each since the first £250ish of sponsorship goes to fund the jump itself. It makes me very angry that people could even consider asking me to fund their jollies, and that I come across as tight for refusing.
I agree. I got the hump with a friend "doing a trek" to Everest (or somewhere conveniently nearby to call it such). Under questioning, it was nice - but long - walk somewhere spectacular, with Sherpas carrying everything except your day-bag and the first £1k or so raised, paid for it. I told him have fun and f%€# off!

When I do something for charity, I try to get all donations through Just Giving. That way, the cost of the event is mine to bear.

Russell

Top Bottom