Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What if a wheel comes off, bounces across the road and the disc slices the arm off a watching child? Or cuts the ear off a passing dog? What then? Is there no end to the horror?
you are joking right?? do you know how fast a disc would have to spin to cut through human flesh and bone? and if it can happen with brake discs it can also happen with the rear cassettes, if the rear wheel flie off and approx 100 teeth coming flying towards you on the cassette

and just to add you watch spectator sports at your own risk....the same as when people watch formula 1, rally cross, etc etc etc

Citius

I wonder if the UCI drop their ridiculous weight limit rules would we would see such a big take up of disc brakes?

Most pro team bikes are already carrying added weight in order hit the minimum weight limit, so I doubt it would make any difference..

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I wonder if the UCI drop their ridiculous weight limit rules would we would see such a big take up of disc brakes?
My disc brake machine is 7.6kg without me putting any effort into shedding weight, I could get it down to 6.8 - 7kg for not much ££, as Citius posted above me, many teams are already adding weight to frames!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Most pro team bikes are already carrying added weight in order hit the minimum weight limit, so I doubt it would make any difference..

My thoughts were if the UCI lowered or removed the minimum weight rules then maybe teams would stick to the lighter calipers. At the moment, there is no weight penalty in discs because the teams simple require less ballast in the frame.

I've just added some weight to mine

80592.jpg

and yes, I'm being serious.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My thoughts were if the UCI lowered or removed the minimum weight rules then maybe teams would stick to the lighter calipers. At the moment, there is no weight penalty in discs because the teams simple require less ballast in the frame.

The Focus Izalco Max Disc is bang on 6.8kg. There are sub-5kg bikes out there and given that disc brakes don't add 1.8kg to the overall weight, it would presumably be easy to go much lower.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So if the UCI did away with a minimum weight limit - do you think teams would drops discs in order to create a superlightweight bike?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i dont see why people think discs are heavier - trp spyres are 159grammes - 105 calipers are 162 grammes so a few gramme savings

yes there are discs to add to that weight but its around 80 grammes.......lighter wheels would negate that easily

Top Bottom