Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not if the same issue applies to every team though - then it becomes the same for everyone. If everyone is on disks with a standard rotor size and a standard axle size, then everyone is in the same boat. So what if wheel changes become slower? - the important thing from a competition aspect is that they become slower for everyone, so nobody has an advantage.
It's not equivalent. This isn't formula one where everybody does a wheel change, however I wait to see if it is actually any kind of issue greater than the team car not being in the right place or similar. I'm not sure putting my thru axle wheel on my mtn bike is actually slower than a qr on my road bike, it's just the fiddle is slightly different.

Citius

It's not equivalent. This isn't formula one where everybody does a wheel change, however I wait to see if it is actually any kind of issue greater than the team car not being in the right place or similar. I'm not sure putting my thru axle wheel on my mtn bike is actually slower than a qr on my road bike, it's just the fiddle is slightly different.

Not really sure what your point is - same as mine, I think. No idea why you are mentioning F1.

Anyway, of course it's going to be a bit slower - but assuming the UCI gets the rule changes right, it will be the same for everyone.

oldroadman

Veteran
The point about possible race dynamic changes is correct - just suppose a change with 10km to go, the race flying. With a quick change and 40 seconds lost, it's just about possible to get back with 2-3km to go. Alter that to a minute and it won't happen unless a bottle is sticky enough (or even "do a Nibali") to court a DQ. It may be the same for everyone, and the same everyone will show the same mercy as today when the race is "on" - zero. Commissaires in major races (not your local race when decisions can be variable!), I found are generally relaxed until 60-90 minutes to go about tailgating, but jump all over holding on to cars, and DQ every time they catch someone. Inside the last hour+ it all gets a bit tighter as that's when it counts. Thus the same for everybody is true, and races may be lost when they may not have been.
Counting on UCI to change rules - which ones and why?

Citius

Counting on UCI to change rules - which ones and why?

Rules which will normalise disks in the pro peloton and ensure that everyone is on the same standard. Which will probably involve the effective banning/discontinuing the use of calipers.

Rules which will normalise disks in the pro peloton and ensure that everyone is on the same standard. Which will probably involve the effective banning/discontinuing the use of calipers.
In this decade? No. For the better of the sport? No. How many pro's complain about the braking of top line rim brakes? Unless they make disc brakes compulsory, not likely, then there will be a mix of both. I assume depending on how much their sponsor/s push it. Zilch to do with performance. Anyone who thinks disc brakes are similar weight needs to check again!

oldroadman

Veteran
Wait for the outcry from certain quarters if BC decide not to allow/not allow them in UK races for a while yet. Remembering that there are some UK based Conti teams who might want to use disks in UCI races, then perhaps not be allowed in domestic events without proper rim brakes. I foresee some big headaches. There needs to be an announcement pronto on exactly what is and is not going to happen.
As has been said, for safety it probably needs to be all or nothing. Who is going to announce that everyone with rim braked bikes will have a useless machine from a certain point onwards? If it does not go that way, and mixing is allowed at amateur levels, watch insurance start creeping up. And all because of marketing! Not one pro/ex-pro I know has ever mentioned modern brakes are no good. It's just a demand created by companies who want to sell everyone more stuff for their own profit, and does nothing to make the sport better.

image.jpeg

Nathan Haas appears to be blaming this on a disc brake. Twitter unconvinced.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for that pic @Flick of the Elbow I nearly lost my breakfast.

oldroadman

Veteran
Wait for the outcry from certain quarters if BC decide not to allow/not allow them in UK races for a while yet. Remembering that there are some UK based Conti teams who might want to use disks in UCI races, then perhaps not be allowed in domestic events without proper rim brakes. I foresee some big headaches. There needs to be an announcement pronto on exactly what is and is not going to happen.
As has been said, for safety it probably needs to be all or nothing. Who is going to announce that everyone with rim braked bikes will have a useless machine from a certain point onwards? If it does not go that way, and mixing is allowed at amateur levels, watch insurance start creeping up. And all because of marketing! Not one pro/ex-pro I know has ever mentioned modern brakes are no good. It's just a demand created by companies who want to sell everyone more stuff for their own profit, and does nothing to make the sport better.
A little bit like the original case made for hard shell helmets, they were "better" (for which read we want to sell stuff!)....stands back and awaits tirades.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So no one has ever reported gashes or injuries due to cassettes, mechs, chainrings etc etc......but they report them for discs. Strange that isn't it

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i wonder of they will report injuries due to road surface, bikes, team cars etc etc ................i'm guessing a lot more have had injuries due to those issues, than they have to discs

Top Bottom