Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

So no one has ever reported gashes or injuries due to cassettes, mechs, chainrings etc etc......but they report them for discs. Strange that isn't it

Not really surprising at all. It's a pilot where one variable has changed, so it's inevitable that's going to be the focus of reporting.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
i wonder of they will report injuries due to road surface, bikes, team cars etc etc
They do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Someone was blaming motorbike oil on the cobbles knocking Cancellara off - nope it was the bloody big patch of mud.

I personally don't think discs will make much difference. Rim brakes can stop a road bike quicker than the laws of physics can stop you going over the bars, even lowly Shimano long drop ones with good pads.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Maybe you don't follow it as closely as some people do.
Did you miss all the coverage about accidents due to road furniture, moto bikes, team cars, dogs, wheel failures?
I dont see them being reported in the same way as this disc one..........

jowwy

Well they are on cycling news, and the moto support and camera bike issue is liable to cause a change in procedures
Im talking more about injuries due to crashes........im pretty sure a large 53t chainring will do a lot more damage than a disc inboard of the frame. They just bitching cause its new tech and trying to make a bigger story out of it that what needs to be made

fossyant

Chain rings generally have the chain on it. The issue is that the discs have very sharp edges and in crashes, you land on wheels and the 160mm rotor is a damn sight bigger than a cassette. Maybe have a rotor with a rounded edge ?

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Im talking more about injuries due to crashes........im pretty sure a large 53t chainring will do a lot more damage than a disc inboard of the frame. They just bitching cause its new tech and trying to make a bigger story out of it that what needs to be made
I think you are attaching more to it than most everyone else here; it's reportable, there is no "bitching". Much more coverage has been given to many other incidents over the past few weeks than this one, in fact had you not kept going on about it then it would have remained a "oh look, someone got injured" moment for me. Within all the other stories and happenings it's a minor event in relative terms.

fossyant

The Moto riders are the issue. My daughter was watching Roubaix with me and was shocked when I said a rider had been killed by a motorbike in a race.
You see some stupid stuff.

jowwy

I think you are attaching more to it than most everyone else here; it's reportable, there is no "bitching". Much more coverage has been given to many other incidents over the past few weeks than this one, in fact had you not kept going on about it then it would have remained a "oh look, someone got injured" moment for me. Within all the other stories and happenings it's a minor event in relative terms.
Think i made one comment and then rich p quoted it and i replied.....maybe i should just ignore people hey

Top Bottom