Do you legally need two brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
By being able to buy a Dutch bike which doesn't comply with a BS standard? That means that £0.05 doesn't have to be wasted by attaching Chinese made bell loosely to the brake cables.

Reactions: gaz
D

Deleted member 1258

By being able to buy a Dutch bike which doesn't comply with a BS standard? That means that £0.05 doesn't have to be wasted by attaching Chinese made bell loosely to the brake cables.

How is that a benefit, whats the benefit of buying a bike that might not comply with safety or traffic laws, that might be dangerousness to ride as well as possibly being illegal.

Has the RTA been ammended now to make this illegal. I seem to remember it not being specified which side to drive/ride , unless directed by Keep Left signs?

Nah, it's still not illegal per se, but thanks to the Highway Code which is accepted guidance that does state we should drive on the left, you can guarantee you'll get a prosecution under careless driving at least if you try it for any decent distance!

Little yellow Brompton

How is that a benefit, whats the benefit of buying a bike that might not comply with safety or traffic laws, that might be dangerousness to ride as well as possibly being illegal.

The benefit is that " I can". I might want to buy one becuase I'm off to Gouda, or because I want to complete my collection, or maybe because I want to buy a bike without a bell!

D

Deleted member 1258

The benefit is that " I can". I might want to buy one becuase I'm off to Gouda, or because I want to complete my collection, or maybe because I want to buy a bike without a bell!

I understand because I can, either of us could, but I don't understand why you would want to, even if its because you can, theres enough dangers inherent in cycling so why would we want to deliberately add to them.

Yep, section 28 and 29 of the RTA are about dangerous/careless cycling. At least they were when I joined! An example of it in use:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...list-prosecuted-for-injuring-biker/19266.html

Please don't let this turn into a debate about iPod wearers, that wasn't what I intended - this was simply the first google result I found of the charge being used.

:edit: unless you're simply being picky about my grammar of 'careless DRIVING' when referring to a cycle, in which case I apologise for my error and you can ignore this post.

Little yellow Brompton

I understand because I can, either of us could, but I don't understand why you would want to, even if its because you can, theres enough dangers inherent in cycling so why would we want to deliberately add to them.
Are there? The Dutch don't seem to find it so, maybe it's the extra brake that causes the problems?

Little yellow Brompton

Yep, section 28 and 29 of the RTA are about dangerous/careless cycling. At least they were when I joined! An example of it in use:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...list-prosecuted-for-injuring-biker/19266.html

Please don't let this turn into a debate about iPod wearers, that wasn't what I intended - this was simply the first google result I found of the charge being used.

:edit: unless you're simply being picky about my grammar of 'careless DRIVING' when referring to a cycle, in which case I apologise for my error and you can ignore this post.
I wasn't be "picky" just seeking clarification.

To sum up..

Riding on one side or the other is still not defined and it's not an absolute offence to ride on the right, but it may be proved to be dangerous/careless cycling?

Thanks

rusky

CC Addict
Possibly, in the same way that in France you can be nicked for not having a fluo jacket or bulb kit in the car, or in Germany for not having spare specs if you need them for driving. Courts can be funny places!

Going slightly OT here, The spare bulb kit is an interesting one these days as some exterior bulbs are dealer only replacements!!!

D

Deleted member 1258

Are there? The Dutch don't seem to find it so, maybe it's the extra brake that causes the problems?

The more you post the more it sounds like you are on the wind up! After over 40 years cycling I can say there are plenty of dangers on the roads, some of the nutters we share the roads with, the conditions we encounter, snow ice, wet roads, wet leaves, fuel and oil spills, two brakes give me the best chance of dealing with these.

subaqua

What’s the point
Going slightly OT here, The spare bulb kit is an interesting one these days as some exterior bulbs are dealer only replacements!!!

likely worded "where possible to replace " to overcome sealed beam and sealed units. any frenchies on here who can ind and translate relevant french law for us.

Little yellow Brompton

The more you post the more it sounds like you are on the wind up! After over 40 years cycling I can say there are plenty of dangers on the roads, some of the nutters we share the roads with, the conditions we encounter, snow ice, wet roads, wet leaves, fuel and oil spills, two brakes give me the best chance of dealing with these.
So explain to me then, how the Dutch manage not only to survive, but thrive; more cyclists, more bikes, more journeys, more miles, all with less brakes? Maybe, just maybe, the number of brakes is not the be all and end all of cycle safety?

D

Deleted member 1258

So explain to me then, how the Dutch manage not only to survive, but thrive; more cyclists, more bikes, more journeys, more miles, all with less brakes? Maybe, just maybe, the number of brakes is not the be all and end all of cycle safety?

I've no idea how the Dutch do it, but Holland is a different country with a different culture, I've never ridden over there, and no good brakes are not the be all and end all of bike safety, they are an essential part of it.

Top Bottom