Do you legally need two brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That's your opinion, it seems that those making, selling and using "Dutch" bikes have a different opinion(s) and find them less than essential. It's IMHO a dangerous route to follow to think that "illegal=dangerous, therefore* Legal=safe"

*( Why can I never find the symbol for therefore?)
I found something that might interest you whilst doing some reading on the subject in general.
On this page near the bottom, under the heading International Requirements.

Would it be possible to argue an imported bike falls under this? Maybe not.. but worth knowing about.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Our legislators don't always get it right, sometimes the law is an ass, but in this case they have got it right, two brakes are usually safer than just one brake.

What flavour of Ubuntu are you on? I'm running 10.04.

Yet again you seem to be arguing against the reality that is Holland.

Errr 11.1 I think...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've done some digging and found the legislation regarding brakes on bikes. It can be read here.

Basically it outlines the following
[etc]
It goes on to say that a (traditional) trike not designed for load carrying can just have two front wheel brakes, and, in answer to the original question, a bike temporarily imported, or for temporary use in this country, doesn't need to comply with UK standards.

So (more or less) to use a Dutch bike with no front brake would be illegal for a permanent UK resident.

Holy Warrior

What is the fascination with the front wheel? Surely if you just had to have one then you would choose the back? Safer surely, less chance of going over handlebars!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What is the fascination with the front wheel? Surely if you just had to have one then you would choose the back? Safer surely, less chance of going over handlebars!
You can stop in about half the distance with the front wheel alone than the rear wheel alone.
Only an in-experienced cyclist will go over the handlebars when braking with the front wheel.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yet again you seem to be arguing against the reality that is Holland.

Errr 11.1 I think...

As I said before I have no knowledge of Holland, but I do have over 40 years experience of cycling in this country, all that experience has taught me that I need two brakes.

D

Deleted member 1258

In dry conditions with good grip the front brake is the best one to stop you, however in slippery conditions, snow, ice, wet leaves and mud etc, the back brake is the best option, use of the front brake puts you at risk of a face plant.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Of my 3 bikes only 1 has a front brake, the other 2 a rear coaster brake only :-). My bike shop not allowed to import any bikes from Europe for me with rear coaster only, so I had to import mine from the USA instead myself

Top Bottom