Do you legally need two brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I've no idea how the Dutch do it, but Holland is a different country with a different culture, I've never ridden over there, and no good brakes are not the be all and end all of bike safety, they are an essential part of it.

That's your opinion, it seems that those making, selling and using "Dutch" bikes have a different opinion(s) and find them less than essential. It's IMHO a dangerous route to follow to think that "illegal=dangerous, therefore* Legal=safe"

*( Why can I never find the symbol for therefore?)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That's your opinion, it seems that those making, selling and using "Dutch" bikes have a different opinion(s) and find them less than essential. It's IMHO a dangerous route to follow to think that "illegal=dangerous, therefore* Legal=safe"

I think you can only put it in if you have a numerical keypad.
  • Hold down alt
  • Press + on the numerical keypad
  • press 2234 on the numerical keypad.
These instructions are for windows based operating systems.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I could be wrong and maybe it has already been said but I thought you only legally needed a front brake or are 90% of little kids bikes illegal?
BS 6102-1:1992

Cycles. Specification for safety requirements for bicycles

Abstract
Requirements for all bicycles intended for use on public roads with a saddle height of 635 mm or more.

Jezston

Über Member
Construction and Use laws. Two brakes required, front and rear, on a bike with freewheel. Simple.
Try telling a court that euro law applies to UK legislation when vehicles are involved. Wait for smiles, and the fine.

Has anyone heard any stories of any brakeless fixed riders ever being so much as pulled over for not having two brakes?

D

Deleted member 1258

Our legislators don't always get it right, sometimes the law is an ass, but in this case they have got it right, two brakes are usually safer than just one brake.

Thanks but no keypad and Umbutu! :-(

What flavour of Ubuntu are you on? I'm running 10.04.

To be legally sold in this country a pedal cycle has to have two independently braked wheels as far as I understand the law, unicycles are exempt for obvious reasons.

Holy Warrior

I've just taken the front brake blocks off a crappy £15 old MtB off ebay because when you apply the front brake it doesn't release. Also for some reason the brakes are the opposite way round so by habit I apply the front instead of the back. Now they're off there's no problem and it runs well.

That bike is just for a short commute to work and back, about 3/4 miles in all. Surely it's just up to you if you want to ride it that way? I won;t be thrashing it down the hills like I would on my roadie.

Zoiders

Just suppose I was a Dutchman on holiday in the UK with my coaster brake equipped Batavus with no front brake. Could I be prosecuted for riding without a front brake even though my bike meets the requirements at home in another EU country?

As an aside, I do own an old Batavus roadster with a coaster brake. It has been fitted with a Weinmann front caliper brake which is virtually useless as the rim doesn't have a proper braking surface. It probably complies with the law but to all intents and purposes, it may as well not have a front brake.
Ignorance of the law is no defence.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've done some digging and found the legislation regarding brakes on bikes. It can be read here.

Basically it outlines the following

a. Every pedal cycle shall be equipped with at least one braking system​
b. (ii) if it is not so constructed that one or more of the wheels is incapable of rotating independently of the pedals, be equipped with two two independent braking systems one of which operates on the front wheel, or if it has more than one front wheel, on at least two front wheels, and the other of which operates on the rear wheel, or if it has more than one rear wheel, on at least two rear wheels.​

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
To be legally sold in this country a pedal cycle has to have two independently braked wheels as far as I understand the law, unicycles are exempt for obvious reasons.
It's fine to sell them without brakes if the intended purpose is for use on an enclosed track.

Top Bottom