Does your workplace have a problem with sickies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We had a chap who regularly got a stomach upset, usual blamed on a weekend bbq , on Mondays or Tuesdays after a bank holiday, usual if the weather was decent.
I have a mate who regularly got upset tummy, but as the rest of the family were vegetarian it was always blamed on his habit of takeaways. He has since been diagnosed with Crohns and still has lots of time off, but at least the reason has been found.

That's possible, just wondering why the zero hour bods are infection resistant?

Maybe zero-hours would cure cancer? :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had quite a few nurses on sick on the spinal ward, but they can't really come in with contagious diseases when most of the patients were elderly or suffering with cancer and of course the risks to any immobile patient.

screenman

Legendary Member
We had quite a few nurses on sick on the spinal ward, but they can't really come in with contagious diseases when most of the patients were elderly or suffering with cancer and of course the risks to any immobile patient.

That I completely agree with.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh aye, our HR would rather you came in with the flu and infect the entire office than go sick. They seem to think that 10 people going ill with your germs is better than you alone staying home until you're better and no longer infectious.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lets face it in every walk of life there may be lazy leg swingers, I know many self employed people who are bone idl and will go bankrupt or live off a partners wages rather than work, so it goes that same for some in other careers.

stephec

Legendary Member

midlife

Guru
Alegedly, when a neighbouring Trust came to look at us regarding a takeover there were quite a few staff still "on the books" and being paid having left a long time ago..............

Shaun

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In my previous job according to the overall manager in charge of everyone and in the opinion of his boss and of his boss too, there was a big problem. Although it is true that the first two managers did have bigger absence numbers than others, it was industry average. They regularly (previous two years) used to dismiss staff for absence and one of the managers even wanted it broadcast how many people had been sacked for absence in each financial year. The company used to complain very bitterly about the amount it paid out in company sick pay, but the vast bulk of disciplinaries were for people who didn't get it at all or on relatively low levels. A huge bulk of absence as measured in the totals was depression, back problems and stress. The latter two were not a surprise to me at all, when I left various friends described a few days later stress having based-jumped off a cliff.

The absence policy was extremely harsh to full time workers who had a tiny number of days off per year, but very generous to part-time employees with large blocks of time off. Each absence was treated the same irrespective of length (although long term sick was treated differently - in theory). Even if you got physically sent to A&E not long before the end of your shift it was treated as the same (examples of this).

Top Bottom