Dream Bike or two seperate ones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You'd get Ultegra on a Giant propel or TCR advanced . Do you already have a wheel collection ? That'll be 4k right there :laugh:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Buy an aero road bike and see if you have enough left over for some deeper section wheels for race days. From my experience, Planet X 101/82 wheels are as fast as anything out there (unless you're willing to pay a collosal amount) and retail at circa 4-5 hundred pounds.

Unless you put in the hours on a TT bike you'll be faster on the road bike with clip on tri-bars in any case.

For what it's worth, I've recently purchased a S3 and absolutely love it. Bought it because it's really compliant at the rear end, meaning I can ride it all day without discomfort, whilst also sacrifising nothing in terms of aerodynamics, something worth considering if you're gonna spend long hours in the saddle.

But, as others have said, there's so much choice at that price point. Just a matter of what floats your boat really.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Really ? That wasn't my experience at all . I was faster on a TT bike right away .
Very annoying as my roadie cost quite a few k and my TT bike didn't :angry:

You obviously have a naturally fat arse so no need to develop the muscles in that area. ^_^

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

Buy an aero road bike and see if you have enough left over for some deeper section wheels for race days. From my experience, Planet X 101/82 wheels are as fast as anything out there (unless you're willing to pay a collosal amount) and retail at circa 4-5 hundred pounds.

Unless you put in the hours on a TT bike you'll be faster on the road bike with clip on tri-bars in any case.

For what it's worth, I've recently purchased a S3 and absolutely love it. Bought it because it's really compliant at the rear end, meaning I can ride it all day without discomfort, whilst also sacrifising nothing in terms of aerodynamics, something worth considering if you're gonna spend long hours in the saddle.

But, as others have said, there's so much choice at that price point. Just a matter of what floats your boat really.

Now you've just made me even more convinced to go for the S3. I suppose if I get any good at Tri's in the future I could look at TT bikes, but to continue on the should I shouldn't I discussion.. I know of a club member (tri club) who races on a Giant propel advanced, clip on bars and is always in the top 5 at events. Suppose it comes down to how good your running legs are. The dilemma continues.

Go for the S3. I had it as a strong contender before I plumped for the R3 and it has the same rear triangle hence the compliance.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Heart says 'splash it on one' the trouble is which one....

Well, I think you already know the answer to that one... We've given you some suggestions but would you love any of them as much as the S3? ;)

(Personally, I'd probably go for the Aeroad CF SLX 9.0, having ridden one and loved it, but unless you can get hold of one for a test ride, you'd be taking a step into the unknown.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

Well, I think you already know the answer to that one... We've given you some suggestions but would you love any of them as much as the S3? ;)

(Personally, I'd probably go for the Aeroad, having ridden one and loved it, but unless you can get hold of one for a test ride, you'd be taking a step into the unknown.)

There is something about the S3, it is truly a dream bike. I also like the Argon 18 Nitrogen - got a tough decision to make.

Thanks for all the advice.

ayceejay

Guru
If you have 'permission' to buy a bike you are half way there so get creative.
What if this one wears out and you have to wait until you are 80 to be in this position again?
If you get two now you will be all set.
Next move on to the cost.
See - if you take the cost of a good bike and half it you get two average bikes so in
economical terms, not to mention what you really deserve at your age you should get two
good bikes at the right price it only makes sense and how much do you love me anyway.
Might be best to leave out that last bit.

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

To keep you all updated, as I know deep down your intrigued to what I do. I ran the two bike scenario past her in charge.

On the look alone I knew that it was not going to sit well, I made my plea. I felt it was well balanced in favour for two bikes - can you guess??? i'm going for one....got to keep them happy also.

Choices are:
Argon 18 Nitrogen 2016
Cervelo S3 and
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 0 2016.

All with Di2, all in the price range. Leader at the moment is the Giant - Its £500 quid cheaper and has a decent set of wheels. Both the Argon 18 and Cervelo would need a set of race wheels at some point.

Anyone any thoughts on the above bikes..

Top Bottom