Dun Run lite - Friday, 3 Oct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Ooh - two fixed riders already. That's tempting. Except that I have to ride back too. I've never done 200 on fixed. Tell me it's a bad idea....

wanda2010

Guru
Hmm. Now tempted to try on my SS. Someone tell me it won't work and I'll have to walkthethoseshortsharpswhichwon'tbegood :stop:

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Hmm. Now tempted to try on my SS. Someone tell me it won't work and I'll have to walkthethoseshortsharpswhichwon'tbegood :stop:

Please no single speed / fixed riders who are not really used to this stupid fad.

Although it's not mountainous, the route is undulating. On the official Dun run, I overheard inexperienced riders at the end cursing the hills.

And it's going to be a really long ride: 112 miles from Hackney to Dunwich, plus the way to the train station you've chosen. Bail out points are limited, time frame is not overly generous with most people booked on the 1427 train from Diss.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
@redfalo - Stupid fad? Wot you on about!! SS/fixed is great if you enjoy it and I really love my SS riding However you'll be pleased to know I thought through my idea on my commute home this afternoon and decided against it. Gears will be better for me.

@User - that revolver might still come in useful for something.

No decision as yet but my stupid knee is casting doubt on my plans to do this ride. I see my GP again next Friday and intend to do whatever it takes to get a Diclofenac prescription but even if successful I may not see enough improvement by the following weekend to feel confident setting off from London Fields. Will keep you posted.

AlexB

Veteran
I have a friend who's like to do this as well. She's done 100km, but no further. She's a good strong rider. That 100km was in horrendous conditions, so I think she has what it takes.
Any estimates on the ETA at Dunwich? My normal route home form Dunwich is to ride to Ipswich via a quiet rural route, so I'm trying to guess what time train to book onto for the return ride.
I usually book a 3pm train and have plenty of time in hand for a departure time of around 11am.

U

User10571

Alex,
The last (only) time we did the battery powered version we arrived in Dunwich at around 9-ish / 10-ish - more like 10-ish
We had been giving it some beans, overnight - no slacking.
My guess is that this ride, given its size, and capacity of current participants, will arrive in Dunwich between 11:00 & 12:00.
An Ipswich train, 2 hrs later wouldn't seem too silly....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Couldn't we leave a bit earlier?
Leave London Fields earlier you mean? That would be a problem for me- I'm on the usual Friday night work-train up routine, and Hackney's a bit further out from Waterloo. I'll be doing well to get there before 11.45 (and if I have to get the later services into London Bridge, it'll be after midnight). Yes, I know the route and I could catch up....but.....

Alex,
The last (only) time we did the battery powered version we arrived in Dunwich at around 9-ish / 10-ish - more like 10-ish
We had been giving it some beans, overnight - no slacking.
My guess is that this ride, given its size, and capacity of current participants, will arrive in Dunwich between 11:00 & 12:00.
An Ipswich train, 2 hrs later wouldn't seem too silly....

We had 2 successful trips surely? When it was just the 4 of us, we weren't hammering it, and in any event we did have to slow up at the end, as I didn't think the Flora café opened before 10, but the second time round it was more genteel. As it's only 113 miles overall, I'd reckon on a 10:45 - 11 am arrival. I'd allow more than 2 hours to cycle from Dunwich to Ipswich though - isn't it 32 miles or so?

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

It may indeed be a good idea if the main group meets at 23:15 for a 23:30 start, provided that @ianrauk waits for @StuAff (and potentially some other fast kids) who then catch us up.

For those interested in the details of my thoughts:

On the original Dun Run in August it took us in a smaller group 9:42 hrs from Hackney to Dunwich. We stopped for 10 minutes at Great Dunmow (after 55k), while the half-way stop at Sudbury (98k) took 35 minutes. We lost another 45 minutes on the way from Sudbury to Dunwich due to four effing punctures (of which three happened on the Moulton - eventually I was down to my last inner tube...).

However, the riding pace was rather brisk and I think we will be significantly slower on Oct 3 because of the bigger group size. I also think we may spend 15 minutes longer at the half way stop. 10:30hrs to 11:00hrs overall time to Dunwich might be more realistic.

In August we stayed 30 minutes in Dunwich and then cycled on to Stowmarket rather than Diss, which is another 51k. We easily made the 8:29am train (despite a 5th puncture) with 45 minutes in hand, but at times it felt like racing against the clock.

The breakfast place opens at 10am, while most people are booked on the 14:47 train from Diss, which is another 45k or 2.5 hours from Dunwich.

My planning may be too cautious, but the worst thing that may happen is that we have to kill some time before the breakfast place opens and maybe an hour or two at the pubs in Dunwich and Diss.

What to people think?

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

I have a friend who's like to do this as well. She's done 100km, but no further. She's a good strong rider. That 100km was in horrendous conditions, so I think she has what it takes.
Any estimates on the ETA at Dunwich? My normal route home form Dunwich is to ride to Ipswich via a quiet rural route, so I'm trying to guess what time train to book onto for the return ride.
I usually book a 3pm train and have plenty of time in hand for a departure time of around 11am.

It's always good to encourage people to cycle more. Frankly, however, I doubt that this ride is the ideal one to start with for your friend. With 112 miles from Hackney to Dunwich plus the ride to the train station (minimum 5 miles to Darsham, with very thin service) it is a rather long ride. Apart from a short stop at Great Dunmow and a half-way break at Sudbury, we won't stop very often or long, and there are not many obvious bailout points. I'd suggest your friend tries out a "classic" FNRttC - with about 60 miles, they are a much better way to start night riding. Many people (at least me, that's for sure) found their first FNRttCs quite hard, even if they are used to do long-distance day rides.

Top Bottom