Dun Run lite - Friday 7th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm giving advance warning of yet another AAA ride. As a repeat of something I've run a couple of times in the past, this aims to provide a bit of the Dun Run experience, only:-

a) without 1,000+ other people
b) on the same roads, but with less traffic
c) provide a halfway break without having to queue for 30 minutes for food (which you might then find they've just run out) or the toilets
d) gets you to Dunwich at a reasonable hour in the morning, just in time for an early lunch
e) as per d) but gets you there when the pubs open
f) allows you to easily get a train back home

How can all this be achieved by one ride, I hear you ask?

Simple. The intention is to leave from the traditional London Fields, Hackney departure point, at midnight on Friday 7th June. The pub should still be open at that time for anyone who wants pre-ride refreshments, then we ride through the night, heading for Dunwich. By leaving so much later compared with the actual Dunwich Dynamo, there is far less traffic, so by the time you're out in the countryside, virtually everyone else is asleep. I've got a simplified route for getting out of Hackney, which doesn't involve going through churchyards, or the wrong way down one-way streets which is what usually happens on the Dun Run, and I also use User10571's A414 minor deviation to Moreton, plus I go on the A1120 to Yoxford, but apart from that, and using the 24 hour Tesco in Sudbury for the half way stop, it's near enough the Dun Run route.

The Flora Cafe on the beach at Dunwich opens at 10, and we should be there some time after then. And of course, by arriving at Dunwich on a Saturday, there's no major problem regarding trains. Just cycle back down to Darsham, hop on a little train, to change at Ipswich.

Usual things apply, no-one will be left behind, but bear in mind we're out in the middle of nowhere, so no trains for a bail out. Less than 113 miles, no major hills. What could be easier?

For ride reports from 2010, see here.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Adam sounds like fun so can I say provisionally yes.

U

User10571

Good call Adam.
I'll need to see how I'm disposed..
JB

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hrmph. Would love to do this, but I'm going to see Eddie Izzard at the O2 the following night. Logistics of getting back/kip/up to the smoke again no worky. Unless I go for a hotel room...
Second thoughts, I'll get back to you!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ohhhhhh, this sounds fab! But, like, Arrrgggghhh!!! 4th June is my Bday... and I really want to do the Whitstable Ride the previous weekend, but am dog/house sitting, of which I think I can do now, but then it means I cant go out that Saturday night if I do, as Whitstable means no cycling back and lotsa beer, but, then, doing this too means no partying that weekend too... So where do I fit in my bday celebrations?? Arrggghhh!!

wanda2010

Guru
Birthday celebrations begin on arrival back in the smoke on Saturday afternoon. Continue til early hours of Monday morning. Sleep Monday back to work on Tuesday. Where's the problem?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Haha, that would be great.. but my dog/house sitting duties extend till Sunday evening... Which means walkies and poop scooping in between...

Top Bottom