Dunwich Dynamo 4th July 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
andygates said:
Penny peloton (now sadly just one, mine bit me) will be leaving early as it's slow - so someone please come and nick the damn jersey off me :biggrin:

Andy, will do :biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
stevevw said:
Right boys just got back from Sainsbury's

24 Giant Granery Rolls
26 Flapjacks
Big box of Mushrooms
Bag of Tom's
18 Eggs
32 Slices of bacon
15 Cans of Stella
2 Bottles of Guinness. Any of you want one of these will have to fight me and Aperitif for them. :biggrin:

I will be on the road in 1/2 hour to Dunwich and hope to see you all at Liverpool Street.

Cheers Steve

You are a star Steve.

I've just gor back from M&S, with chocolate brownies and flapjacks. From the LBS I got Powerbars, Powershots, caffeinated gel thingy, lucozade glucose tablets and hydration tablets.
If anyone starts to lag on route, just ask me for a quick pick-me-up :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Bike is in the car to get me to the station. Just need to decide on clothing - I can't believe it will be that cold tonight, and should be dry...

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Where's Liverpool Street?

:tongue:

Sitting Duck knows, I hope.
Chelsea Bridge (north side) at 5.30pm if you want to follow him.

I'll be leaving at just gone 4.30. I'll be going up to Hyde park, then right at Knightsbridge.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have some Thorntons chocolate caramel square things and a bag of jellybabies - will pack a banana also (just to be healthy) :tongue:

SiS Electrolyte (lemon 'n' lime) in bottle 1
Blackcurrant High juice in bottle 2
Good ol' fashioned H20 in bladder

Got some pasta bubbling away that I will add some red pesto to right now... gettin' close :blush:

Andrij

Über Member
G&T mixed; bacon sarnies, Soreen and chocolate packed. Let's see... Oh, yeah! Must get the bike ready...

Bon chance, y'all!

Will1985

Über Member
I'm back. I think it fair to say that we are all tired. Must go and have a shower then dose until the Tour starts on TV.

Tynan

Veteran
How well prepared you all were. got to London Fields at 8.30 without any dinner, my pre booked train ticket, no longs, no spare pair of shorts for the supposed return leg and no waterprrofs of any descriptions

My desire for a beer was met with a polite but firm 'we had one, we've been waiting for you' oh well

an awful lot of bikes and riders, shags

off we went, loads of bikes wriggling through heavy traffic, the first flat was to an unfortunate all of 50 yards from the start, tubs I'm told

barely into Epping and I paid more attention to talking to Will than riding the bike, a coming together and staying togeher saw me and bike sprawling in the road, thankfully Will's posh bike sayed up, two sound chaps behind us picked my bike smartly from it positio lying in the opposite lane.

A quick check found a tad of roadrash to the right forearm and nothing else other than a bit sore to right collarbone, the bike was A1 other than the come off chain, even the mudguards were as they should be, no so much as a scuff yet found, yay, the much admired, ridicule and insulted new Assos shorts were seemingly unblemished, phew

erm, Will set off as he continued for the whole night, at a brisk (for me) pace that I could keep up with almost comfortably, plus he knew the route very well, lovely

hooge crowds and queues at the halfway stop, swamped, food was starting to run out as we left after a long wait in the queue, a tad chily but the shorts, base top and ss top I'd put on at the first stop saw me comfortably through the night, balmy it was, with a gentle but helpful tailwind.

The last 30 miles seemed to drag and a rear you knowwhat from a flint delayed us and slightly rattled me, Will shot off into the distance for the last few miles when it was clear that even an idiot like me would find his way, a welcome call from CC posse HQ that the first two riders were somehow there ahead of us, had laid out the table and chairs and were enjoying Stella1 at 6am, the rider with me at the time found that rather revolting, it sounded very good to me and spurred my cadence to leave him disgusted and eating dust

Arrived, hooge queue for the cafe that remained for hours, the cheeky campervan plus cheeky chaps was a welcome sight, a soothing cup of tea and can of stella was proffered and accepted and enjoyed to a backdrop of the hooge queue, soon to experince a prolonged shower.

Les autres rolled in soon after and the most excellent Stevevw got busy on a small stove doing bacon and egg butties for all, he let me have a go too, I added mushrooms to the menu and even some tomatoes for a second round of baps

pudding of tasty flapjacks and stella, I had four (stellas), yum

Will's dad arrived to share the load of taking us all plus Radius, on leave from being superior with the fixed types to our various destinations, brilliant

All thoughts of riding home were dropped, even the heavyweights showed no interest, the rather weary looking Aperitif reported 20 minutes sleep between FNRttC and back and setting off for the Dun RUn, lunacy

A bit of a crush of bikes anxious to get into the London train's Guard's carriage was resolved just about, he had room for hundreds, but it was making the train late, signal failures at Shenfield made that academic as we were routed in through some crazy lines via Forest Gate, Seven Kings and the like

Home, thank gawd, I pushed the bike from the station to the house, that weary

Me and Will averaged 17.2 mph he tells me, cor, but still beaten to the finish by the lead pair with an average of 15.something, how does that work, Will was incredulous

Anyhow, good night, good peoples, special mention to Stevevw for proving van, makings and a lift, excellent man, the idea of the hooge queue and then riding to Ipswich didn't appeal to anyone I suspect

There was a general feeling that the van shold be provided for all CC rides and Will insisted it be tricked out in CC livery

Right, washing, bathing and eating, I smell

Tynan

Veteran
yikes a small hole in the shorts over the right cheek

that explains the lack of injury I suppose, the splendid Assos pad, hurray, too bad on the shorts though, boo

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice ride and nice to meet you all. Had about an hours kip since getting home and feel rather knackered. Glad you managed to get on the train Tynan, it certainly looked like a bit of a mad scramble and free for all. Happy to report mine was the only bike on the train to Felixstowe so no such problems however the 4 miles home from there felt tough. Excellent facilities in the van Steve so special thanks for that and that Stella at 6:30 tasted bloddy good. Good to see the fatketeers getting to the breakfast point before the racing whippets and their various excuses of delays and exagerated average times :tongue:

Will do a bit more of a write up when I have woken up.

11uusyh.jpg

SittingDuck (Anthony), Will1985 ,Tynan, StevevW, moi,(me) Radius (Jack), rejedi, (Luke), 4F (Tony)

Big thanks to stevevw for organising the big spread - no demolition problems occured every time something was served up...it was like the CChat Dining Club,
And a special mention for Stephen1985, Father of Will, who dropped us three at Diss Station (and took this group photo for us)

And finally.
SittingDuck.
100 miles and more today...well done him - an inspiration for those taking up serious cycling.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Got home half an hour ago ;)
Been a long day - weekend... Slight cock up with the bike laden lorries meant delay and confusion but at least there was time to chill out on the beach when the sun came out.

Pleased to have done this monster ride and thanks to those who encouraged me to my first ton ;) Avg was 14.2 mph according to Garmin which I am bloody pleased with!

I didn't really know what to expect from this ride but it was tougher than I was anticipating. The casual average of 12mph that was touted in this thread was soon out of the window as the hammer went down for the 1st 25-30 miles and I was wondering if I had bitten of more then I could possibly chew. Dropped the pace a bit after one of our regroups and was helped along by RJ & Mr Teef... Thanks for coaxing me along the route fellas :biggrin:

SPecial award of the day goes to Steve for stirling Bacon and Stella work at the final destination and to Tynan who has proved excellent short order chef potential xx(

Cheers All,
SD

Top Bottom