Dunwich Dynamo 4th July 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A leisurely pace this year, and thankfully I had food with me, so didn't need to queue for an hour at the feed station, whilst at Dunwich the queue was even longer, so we just turned around and got more food in a corner shop in Yoxford. I could certainly believe 800 or so set off. Not so so sure that many arrived though.

Only came across 1 case of abuse this year from a bloke driving a knackered estate car shouting "W*nker". Perhaps the chavs are getting better trained?

Maybe next year I'll take some waterproofs, as it got a bit wet heading back to Stowmarket, although I'd dried out by the time I got to the station. I'm certain I spotted the mysterious Pavel heading east for Dunwich around Saxton Green on the A1120, so he was probably another one who'd got a bit lost.

oscarplu

Über Member
Respect and well done to all you guys and gals for completing this ride!! Although i live on the doorstep of the final destination i just didnt feel id be up to this ride. But hopefully next year with a few more miles under my belt!!!! Well done once again.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
So set off from home at 15:00 hrs for the ride to the train station and upon arrival slightly concerned at the number of bikes waiting to board however all went on and seat taken for the ride to London. Got chatting to some lads from Harleston who seemed suprised at the intention I had for a pre ride guinness I was intending to consume pre start (purely for the protein levels). Train arrived on time and Will1985 appeared in the melee to reclaim bikes and we waited fro Stevevw to arrive.

Sitting duck and redjedi met us at Liverpool street with Mr Duck having to detour via Evans as he had proceeded to leave his bottles in the fridge at home and off we proceeded to London fields with a posse of others who thought we knew where we were going which Will sort of did. London fields found along with the pub in the park and extra cold guinness.

The park then filled over the next hour and a half with bikes of all sorts of shapes and sizes and an educated guess of the numbers in attendance was "a lot". Leyton condor and his mates arrived and we all lounged around on the grass unti Aperitif appeared and then we played the game of all waving at Tynan as he looked everywhere for us apart from where we were actually standing. It was agreed that we would give him 5 minutes before putting him out of his misery.

So the cyclechat peleton set off at 8:30 and then after we had got out of the suburbs of the smoke Steve must have had the smell of the bacon in his nose as he led the pelton out with a speed of 23 mph for the first 30 miles. We re-grouped in the layby just after the shell garage thinking Tynan and Will must have been ahead of us only to later find they had actually stopped at the garage.

A more sensible pace was then set and off we headed into the darkwilds of Essex following an almost endless stream of red flashing lights. After another re-group Tynan and Will appeared and we set off again.

At about 01:00 the mid way stop appeared with a monster queue however the tomato soup and roll was well worth the £ 2.00. Unknown to Steve and I Aperitif, SD and Redjedi and taken the opportunity to have a kip outside so Stevevw and I set off with 50 plus miles to go until Dunwich and I could almost smell and taste the prospect of an early morning Stella Artois.

Steve and I got to Wattisham as the dawn was rising and I was now on home turf and decided to head off like a bat out of hell down the hill into Neeedham market that I know so well. We stopped at Needham to await the others however it was at this point it started to rain and seeing the clear sky infront of us we decided to head into the nicer weather rather than sitting there getting drenched.

My local knowledge avoided the nasty little hill into Coddenham and the more scenic alternative road gave the opportunity of a jimmy riddle stop.

And off we went counting down the miles over the slightly hillier terrain. Up until this point the route had seemed almost downhill all the way with a nice tailwind so these bumps at this stage were unwelcome.

A few incidents of wrong turns followed however before we knew it the A12 had been crossed and the smell of the sea air in the nostrils helped the final assult to Dunwich and we arrived just after 06:30 with 112 miles showing on the speedo with an average speed of 15.5 mph.

Steve's van was located and picnic table, folding chairs, coffee and Mr Stella were administered and with no sign of Tynan or Will, we decided to phone Tynan to tell him that the bar had opened. 20 mins later they arrived and a little bit later the rain started in ernst with the rest of the cyclechat peleton following and the ensuring splendid breakfast

The fatketeers having set up base camp
DSC00686.jpg

Mr Coffee and Mr Stella spy the approach of the racing whippets

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

Top breakfast then followed with lifts arranged to various rail stations and a top day.

Special thanks to Steve who arranged the breakfast and chef number 2 Tynan.

Speicher said:
You are also getting used to having your photo taken. :biggrin::rolleyes:

2gv1w6d.jpg

Me. "Aw ant, you stopped! I wanted to get a shot of you sucking hard on that camelback teat - it would have made a great photo..."
Ant: 'You'll have to be a bit quicker than that mate!'

2d2eurq.jpg

The ton-up merchant at the point of his century.
A big achievement big man - at the time we were chatting and you said you wouldn't have dreamed cycling 100 miles at this time last year. (let's not forget the rest of the miles also...) You're an inspiration to others who doubt and your teammates are proud of you.

Sorry about the speed gang session at the outset - it was massive fun but usually ends in the CycleChat exocet aka stevevw disappearing into the distance. Great terrain for that which turned into an arduous slog towards the end, under that drizzle. Check your Garmin calorie counter too! (Then go down the curry shop :laugh:) Well done.

4F said:

Tony - I sincerely apologise! My excuse was that by the time I got to that end of the photo, I had fallen asleep on the keyboard! ;)
Sorted.

Tynan

Veteran
4 hours kips, refreshed (and sore, road rash mostly, I found all of it when I slipped in a hot bath)

brill pictures gents, thanks, and well done base camp crew, there's no arguing with you getting there first, I'm still bemused how but whatever

really good do, thanks to all

And, Tynan - let us not forget your contribution. An instant camp chef - ready to serve! :biggrin: And your words are well said.
Brilliant, by the way, that you felt so 'at home' with the Stella, at only 08:00 :thumbsup:
But steve's forethought was the mortar to join us CycleChat bricks together.
Thanks steve.
Another useful experience...perhaps next year <runs and hides> there will be a... oh never mind, just an idea...;)

Good clean, gentle fun.

Tynan

Veteran
I with next year as i was this time last year, done and nfw again next year, ditto any other sort of distance ride

sigh

but it was hugely enjoyable to be caning along with Will and reeling in almost everything we saw, walk in the park for Will I'm sure but to keep that sort of pace for mile after mile was very satifying for me

I though Steve lived local, he's drived that van over a hundred miles to position it there

I'd gush more but he'd done it already for himself and stocked it with ludicrous quantities of good things for us later, and then transported us to Ipswich station, with only one quick nap while bombing down the A road moment, how we laughed

Radius

SHREDDER
Good ride that, so many many many thanks to The Camper Van Breakfast Crew, wonderful service, lots of food, and just what we (I!) needed. Brilliant! Thanks to Will n Dad for lift too!
Mileage was 143.38 in the end, not bad. Thanks to Martin for making some over-exaggerated remark about my level of education or somesuch! (and for the company on the return trip, Luke included!). Will PM re ticket repayment, bloody inbred dodgy country ticket machines.

Top Bottom