Dutch Sustainable Safety in action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
London is an exception rather than the norm when it comes to cycling numbers in the UK isnt it?
Its not likely that Dutch style infrastructure will be happening in the UK soon but Strict Liability would go a long way to help balance the situation.

snorri

Legendary Member
1699013 said:
Has anyone told me what a Lycra Nazi is? Is it anything to do with Boss selling cycling kit?
This is what Google came up with, hope it helps.:smile:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/demonlordetna/3520575029/

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
London is an exception rather than the norm when it comes to cycling numbers in the UK isnt it?
Its not likely that Dutch style infrastructure will be happening in the UK soon but Strict Liability would go a long way to help balance the situation.
setting aside pockets like Oxford and Cambridge, that's very true. And London itself is kind of hit and miss - southwest London being the hit and some of northeast London being the miss. And the southwest London boom is all on main roads. Perhaps we're uniquely blessed in some genetic way, and the Gov. should start up a breeding programme to create the next generation of cyclists? (And watch that get quoted by the CEGB nitwits)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I apologise. Edinburgh is booming. Although if you can count 45 cyclists waiting at the same red light, I will gladly buy you a pint!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Brilliant! I've manged to get the BMAM frothing in rage at their keyboards which if nothing else is a result.

Some folk like cycling the way it is over here, some don't. I can't see that's any reason why we can't have a sensible debate about it without going off on one but there we are.

If you feel that you'll entice more folks into cycling by getting them to ride up and down the A3, dressed in gear so garish that it would make Timmy Mallet blush, then great, good luck with it!^_^

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dear lovely CEGB separate infrastructure types,

Stop blaming your existing fellow cyclists for the fact that non-cyclists don't cycle.
Stop denying that integrationists want traffic calming and traffic reduction.
Stop kidding yourselves that integrationists would not like a quality network of off-road cycle routes.

Start figuring out the costs of providing that infrastructure.
Start explaining how you will get it funded.
Start producing the drawings.

and please, please, please accept the political, social and cultural reality that the UK is NOT The Netherlands, or Denmark and is never going to be.

Regards

Greg
well, quite. I was going to say that it's a bit like dealing with the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I've got a soft spot for the JWs and usually invite them in for a cup of tea. Of course I'd invite the CEGB in for a cup of tea as well - if I had a segregated cycle lane in the hallway, which, sad to say, I don't.

OP
OP
R

Richard Mann

Being a bit more positive, what do people think about this sort of thing:

http://g.co/maps/x7es2

Utrecht.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
The usual complant about the width of the cycle lane - it needs to be about twice the width. That said, in my very limited, cycling experience of cycling in the Netherlands motorists are a lot more understanding & respectful around cyclist.

Being a bit more positive, what do people think about this sort of thing:

http://g.co/maps/x7es2

In a UK context, horrible. Cycle lane in the dooring zone on the left. Cycle lanes too narrow (note cyclist having to cycle outside it to cycle two abreast. Swing the camera round and see horrible pinch points with the central islands at the railway crossing - the last place I would want to have an accident and be lying on the ground with the barriers coming down. It probably works in the Netherlands because of driver attitudes but here it would be another crap cycle facility.

OP
OP
R

Richard Mann

1701442 said:
Excellent idea, a lane specially designed to keep cyclists in the door zone.

I think fast cyclists would probably take primary on that road (and they're the ones most at risk from a serious dooring injury). It's a "suggestion" lane, so no obligation to use it (unlike normal Dutch bike lanes, which are in theory obligatory).

Top Bottom