Early fireworks - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I see the American's are trying to get in on the act, with a bigger and better explosion. That's one big bang, luckily no one was hurt.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29812139

There are some awsome clips of Spanish fireworks, is it called Fallas? They rig up scaffolding and string firecrackers from them, the Spanish residents stagger around afterwards looking dazed.

RWright

Guru
I see the American's are trying to get in on the act, with a bigger and better explosion. That's one big bang, luckily no one was hurt.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29812139
That was supposed to be visible from my area. I read about it, downloaded the app, knew where to look and at what time. I was ready for action, then I forgot about it when it was time. :rolleyes:
Doesn't look like I missed much from where I am. I just read about it and saw the video of it blowing up this morning. It was a hell of an explosion.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
That was supposed to be visible from my area. I read about it, downloaded the app, knew where to look and at what time. I was ready for action, then I forgot about it when it was time. :rolleyes:
Doesn't look like I missed much from where I am. I just read about it and saw the video of it blowing up this morning. It was a hell of an explosion.

All sounds a bit Iowa to me.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
That's a bacronym, surely. In other words, I think the term "ned" was around long before someone decided to apply a set of initials to it. See also "Council Housed and violent".
Never heard them called 'bacronyms' before, but indeed.

Anyway, back to fireworks....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When I was a little boy, in the sixties I used to do Penny For The Guy, made a up a guy out of old clothes and stuffed up newspaper, a paper mask for a face and take it out onto the street to collect ( beg, whine, demand with menaces ) money for fireworks. I loved fireworks I thought it was the best night of the year. I rembember the 5th of November as always being cold, and you would put your wellies, balaclava, duffle coat with idiot mittens on, wrap up warm and have fireworks in the yard or garden, or go round to someone's house where they would have a bonfire party, with hot chocolate, hot dogs, and jacket potatoes baked in the bonfire and then a grown up would " Light Up The Sky With Standard Fireworks".

One year when I was a bit older, 9 or 10 filled with excitement for firework night and armed with the few coppers I got for Penny for the Guy and an emptied money box, I went up the local shops and bought a box of fireworks. When I got home and my mother and her bloke saw them, they went ape $41t, and I got a good hiding for buying fireworks. I have never fireworks since.

young Ed

Veteran
right that's it, i've had enough! we have had fireworks going off all night tonight and we live in the middle of the country/no where
'bout to go out to check all the sheep are ok and then will go to bed my self to escape the dreaded things! (both the fireworks and the sheep :tongue: )
i thought fireworks were for guy fawkes night not halloween?
maybe for some revenge i could walk about clad in full black wearing a huge heavy trench coat down to the knees and a hat whilst walking with a stick and maybe a dog and carrying an axe or two with some knives dangling from the belt? :whistle: wouldn't do anything but just walk about
Cheers Ed

classic33

Leg End Member
right that's it, i've had enough! we have had fireworks going off all night tonight and we live in the middle of the country/no where
'bout to go out to check all the sheep are ok and then will go to bed my self to escape the dreaded things! (both the fireworks and the sheep :tongue: )
i thought fireworks were for guy fawkes night not halloween?
maybe for some revenge i could walk about clad in full black wearing a huge heavy trench coat down to the knees and a hat whilst walking with a stick and maybe a dog and carrying an axe or two with some knives dangling from the belt? :whistle: wouldn't do anything but just walk about
Cheers Ed
Get your vortex cannon out and silence the lot!
And do you mean something like this?
Grim Reaper.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
<Useless firework fact alert>
Did you know that bangers go off under water? We used to mould a ball of mud with our hands, stick the banger in it, light the fuse and wait until it started fizzing....and lob it in the river. It was particularly good at night when you could see the flash two feet down.
As you were....
Like a cheap firework, this post has been a slow burner for me, hence the delay in replying...... But I've just recalled something vaguely related that made me laugh a few years ago. There used to be an elver station in Epney that exported glass eels all over the world, and was quite a lucrative business. Eventually it got bought up by some foreign company and run for a while by an intriguing Austrian gentleman known to the locals only as the "Herr Doktor". While waiting for the right tidal conditions for elver fishing, my brother used to while away the hours playing the Herr Doktor at chess and swapping anecdotes over glasses of schnapps. One night the Herr Doktor started reminiscing about carp fishing back in his homeland. It turns out that those Austrians don't mess about when it comes to fishing, and don't waste their time with rods and lines - or even nets. No, with teutonic efficiency they just dynamite the lake and blast the slippery little buggers ten feet in the air in a series of explosions, like a scene from "In Which We Serve". ...... You might be on to a nice little earner.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Like a cheap firework, this post has been a slow burner for me, hence the delay in replying...... But I've just recalled something vaguely related that made me laugh a few years ago. There used to be an elver station in Epney that exported glass eels all over the world, and was quite a lucrative business. Eventually it got bought up by some foreign company and run for a while by an intriguing Austrian gentleman known to the locals only as the "Herr Doktor". While waiting for the right tidal conditions for elver fishing, my brother used to while away the hours playing the Herr Doktor at chess and swapping anecdotes over glasses of schnapps. One night the Herr Doktor started reminiscing about carp fishing back in his homeland. It turns out that those Austrians don't mess about when it comes to fishing, and don't waste their time with rods and lines - or even nets. No, with teutonic efficiency they just dynamite the lake and blast the slippery little buggers ten feet in the air in a series of explosions, like a scene from "In Which We Serve". ...... You might be on to a nice little earner.

I believe my Grandad used to do that too. He was in Eastern France in 1917 at the time, so explosives were readily available, and I dare say conservation was not high on his priorities at the time/

I also have it on good authority that dynamited fish go off extremely quickly so unless you can eat 'em straightaway, they are all ruined and killed needlessly/

Top Bottom