Everyday inventions you are grateful for (apart from bicycles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
There are so many things we all take for granted it's difficult to know where to even start, but agriculture, division of labour, writing, paper, money, banking, germ theory of disease, potable water, vaccines, & anaesthetics would all have to come very high on the list.

Beyond the basic welfare needs that these satisfy, others with a large effect on our modern lifestyle might be:
Education
Industrialised agriculture
Steam engine - enabled the production of mechanical power
Electromagnetism - enabled the production of electrical power
Transistor - enabled the processing of information

That's a bit of a biased list though, because I know little of chemistry & materials science, and their contributions to the production of synthetic materials.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Central heating.
The whole building is warm instead of just one or two rooms.
My parents maisonette had a coal fire in the front room. None of the bedrooms or the bathroom had heating in.
During a particularly cold winter my mum used to turn the gas oven on and open the door to get some extra heat in the place.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Depends where you are putting it :smile:

I apologise in advance for this clip.

View: https://youtu.be/CIXQoRhBZpM?si=CRH3hcxKySWKVU0p

Sharky

Guru
My Mum's sister, I believe, sufferred from a "Hole in the Heart" and after being unwell for some time, died a young lady in about 1940 a long time before I appeared.
My Mum always said that if had been "now", in the 1980's or 1990's, they would have operated and probably saved her.

I am grateful for all the medical advances that have been made in the last 50 years.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The microwave oven.

I'l glad I found what I was going to say on your post number 5 and not had to go all the way through the messages to post 56 (the last one as I post) to find someone's posted it before! :okay: Yes, It's the microwave for me as well. I've used one for 44 years, since my parents got their first one. We had a few mishaps at first, like putting plates with gold gilt in the microwave, and uncracked eggs in to boil them,:ohmy: but we got there in the end.:okay:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'l glad I found what I was going to say on your post number 5 and not had to go all the way through the messages to post 56 (the last one as I post) to find someone's posted it before! :okay: Yes, It's the microwave for me as well. I've used one for 44 years, since my parents got their first one. We had a few mishaps at first, like putting plates with gold gilt in the microwave, and uncracked eggs in to boil them,:ohmy: but we got there in the end.:okay:

I just search the thread for the key word e.g. 'microwave'.

Top Bottom