Everyday inventions you are grateful for (apart from bicycles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When I bought my first place a washing machine and a sofa were my first purchases - place came with a cooker. It was a year or two before I bought a telly or fridge, or even a proper bed.

aye... it was top of my list too when i split with the ex in 2002. A TV was at the bottom of the list and I learned i could live without a telly.

Gwylan

Veteran
When we married (1975) we had no money.

We had an inflatable lilo type double bed mattress. It had a slow leak so it was a race to get to sleep before you were on the floor. The leak defied attempts to repair them.
We had 2 large floor cushions someone gave us.

First real purchase was a flat pack dining table and wooden garden chairs from Habitat. They were on clearance and very cheap.

Visitors got to use a single camp bed that appeared from somewhere.

Then we bought a double bed. That travelled the world with us until about 1997. Goodness knows how much the company spent moving that bed around the place.

I should end saying "we were happy" Well yes, but we were also almost perpetually skint for the first 10 years.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
aye... it was top of my list too when i split with the ex in 2002. A TV was at the bottom of the list and I learned i could live without a telly.

I only bought a telly because a number of my pals were extras in a TV series: the Monacled Mutineer. A lot of it was filmed near Aberystwyth and some of my old university gang who were still there or bumming around after graduating got roped in as extras.

I didn't bother with a fridge but my lodger got fed up not having one so bought one whilst I was working overseas so I was guilted into telling him to take it out of the rent money!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Probably more a matter of necessity than just "oh, lets try it and see".

Mmm not bad. But it would be better if it tasted a bit more of sweaty feet. Just stick it in that cave for a bit. See what happens.

3 weeks later. "Hey lads! It's gone mouldy! Result!"

Top Bottom