Favourite childhood books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
At our infants/ junior school, we had a savings club where we got a sixpenny [6d] stamp every week to save up for a book. That's how I bought "Stig of the Dump".... and "The Silver Sword". Brilliant way to engage children into the value of books!

[Edit: Just looked up "The Silver Sword"...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Sword
[It was just over 20 years after the war, which is nothing really when you think how recent 1994 seems! but then I was about 7 or 8 so it was a lifetime ago for me]

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Exclusively, we drew willies. Our limited knowledge of other bits came from Clegg & Clegg, The Biology of the Mammal. Our copies pre-date this edition by quite a few years. It was a brilliant text book and stood us in good stead for the subsequent practicals.
View attachment 55973
I did some early experimental, exploration into the field, but rather like my Economics degree it was never very useful in the real world.

Brains

Legendary Member
as a kid I read anything and everything, from the age of about 7 to my late teens id go through half a dozen books a week. Many many books stand out like the classics of Stephenson, loved most of Edid Blyton, Lewis, Johns, Tolkien and best of all was the Swallow and Amazon seires which I read and reread many times

ian-allan-abc-wr.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Christ I hated Enid Blyton.

I wasn't as odd a kid as FM, but I did have a peculiar obsession with the libretto of Sweeney Todd at the age of around 8. Earlier on I had a mahoosive book of illustrated Old Testament stories, which was fab. My brother had all the Willard Price stuff - I liked the idea of it and the pictures of manta rays on the cover of South Sea Adventure, but I'm not sure I ever read a whole one. The House at Pooh Corner was probably the most important book of my childhood, closely followed by NM Bodecker's Hurry Hurry Mary Dear and Other Nonsense Poems, anything with Quentin Blake illustrations, Joan Aiken/Jan Pienkowski's Kingdom Under the Sea, Dr Seuss and of course Alex Comfort and Chris Foss's The Joy of Sex, which I must have found somewhere... The other big thing was Usborne's fabulous non-fiction books about dinosaurs and Egyptians and sea creatures and Romans and stuff. Fiction wise... Richmal Crompton's entire William Brown series; Alice in Wonderland; The Wind in the Willows; Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are; Dodie Smith's Hundred & One Dalmatians and The Starlight Barking; Colin Dann's Animals of Farthing Wood, and Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's nerdy adventure game books!

7f7a3143-b669-4e27-9e40-2ef3954b1539.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I forgot about Wind in the Willows, a book I can still re-read and love. I think it would be my Desert Island book.

(It has to be the E H Shepherd illustrations, mind. No Arthur Rackham or anything else.)

Top Bottom