Favourite childhood books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Here are some of mine.

tumblr_n7mi50PO951suuexzo1_500.jpeg

Many more are here:

http://moderntoss.tumblr.com/post/97206952712/bagofdelights-classic-childhood-books-from

My all time favourite book as a kid which I read over and over was Grimble

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3274519, member: 259"]Great stuff. My son's girlfriend's dad is an evangelical minister and listened with obvious incredulity when I told him that I had read all of CS Lewis's Narnia books without noticing a Christian influence.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice till much much later either.
I re-read them (all) one afternoon a few years ago - this explained why I could read a book in a couple of evenings as a kid, but takes me weeks now - it's not entirely Altzheimer's after all, but the books are a bit more effort

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Biggles. I loved the racist world-saving, heroic, fascist bastard

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Biggles. I loved the racist world-saving, heroic, fascist *******

I loved Biggles as a kid, but even in the sixties some of the "slant eye'd Japs" stuff seemed a bit iffy.
There's a big box set going in some of the cheap remainders shops for about 12 quid - I admit I'm tempted.

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember enjoying the Secret Seven books (hides behind sofa in embarrassment) but I love R.L. Stephenson's Treasure Islandd.

I loved Professor Brainstrawm (SP?)

I also loved a book called "Bunst and the Secret Six" by I think Norman N. Chance which was present to my Dad when he was a boy. I have never seen any reference to this anywhere but I think it was a fabulous story.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I loved Biggles as a kid, but even in the sixties some of the "slant eye'd Japs" stuff seemed a bit iffy.
There's a big box set going in some of the cheap remainders shops for about 12 quid - I admit I'm tempted.
Biggles' casual racism was pretty tame next to most of the comics I read

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember enjoying the Secret Seven books (hides behind sofa in embarrassment) but I love R.L. Stephenson's Treasure Islandd.

I loved Professor Brainstrawm (SP?)

I also loved a book called "Bunst and the Secret Six" by I think Norman N. Chance which was present to my Dad when he was a boy. I have never seen any reference to this anywhere but I think it was a fabulous story.

re-read Treasure Island the other day - now that is great literature as well as a superb adventure yearn "for all ages" as they say. Ditto Kidnapped.

tyred

Legendary Member
re-read Treasure Island the other day - now that is great literature as well as a superb adventure yearn "for all ages" as they say. Ditto Kidnapped.
Kidnapped is great too but for me it never hit the spot in the way that Treasure Island did. I have re-read Treasure Island a ridiculous amount of times.

Top Bottom