Favourite childhood books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good OP, there are some funny ones there, my fave is CSI Woking, that did make me laugh.

As a kid I read a lot of Enid Blyton, I loved those books , I don't really remember what else I read back then, apart from Three Men On a Boat and Men Only.

Ganymede

Veteran
You owe me a new keyboard. I am going to share this page with my twin sister later and laugh till we are both SICK. The halitosis one is briliant.

I was an obsessive reader as a child so I read pretty much everything. I used to love the Willard Price "Adventure" books and anything historical - I was a combo of tremendous tomboy and yearning romantic, so it was all grist to the mill. I graduated to grown up books quite quickly and remember reading Jane Eyre for the first time at 13 - I started it in the afternoon literally stayed up until I had finished it at about 2 or 3 am. As a little kid I loved Squirrel Nutkin, the naughty rascal.

Reactions: TVC

swansonj

Guru
Thomas the Tank Engine was a big hit. I loathed Swallows and Amazons. Biggles was great fun a bit later, then I discovered James Bond novels aged about ten. My febrile youthful imagination went into overdrive as I read the slightly naughtier passages.
I read James Bond sitting in the local public library because I guessed my parents might not approve if I borrowed them to read at home....

Ganymede

Veteran
Thomas the Tank Engine was a big hit. I loathed Swallows and Amazons. Biggles was great fun a bit later, then I discovered James Bond novels aged about ten. My febrile youthful imagination went into overdrive as I read the slightly naughtier passages.
Us girls got our febrile kicks from reading the naughty bits in Jean Plaidy. A bit few and far between but usually involving a combo of expensive velvet and bare skin.

Never read Swallows and Amazons, maybe I should now.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Us girls got our febrile kicks from reading the naughty bits in Jean Plaidy. A bit few and far between but usually involving a combo of expensive velvet and bare skin.

You're a girl? Well I never knew that!

rich p

ridiculous old lush

You really should, the graphic sex scenes in the tent were a heady mix for a teenager.
The sequel, Spits and Amazons wasn't quite as good IMHO.

swansonj

Guru
Swallows and Amazons? Never mind the communal changing, washing and swimming - when do they ever go to the loo? In Peter Duck, there are lovingly detailed plans and description of the boat on which they spend months afloat at sea, and there is no provision for a loo (head if you nautical types insist). In We Didn't Mean ... , John spends the whole night steering the Goblin in a storm without apparently ever needing to take a pee. What do you do in an ice-bound houseboat? Various children throw up in various books - but no-one ever, ever, takes a dump.

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
Top Bottom