feel bad but it had to be done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Looks nasty :sad:

Just had a look at their website, did it happen on that dirt track?

Shaun

Yes happened on the gravel section but there is also other pot holes on the tarmac which could be as dangerous

Mandragora

Were the routine thingsdone at the site on, or as soon as possible, after the day - such as filling in an accident report form? Might also be worth letting the local council know - it looks like an Environmental Health issue, possibly (though I'm not an expert). They're more likely to have powers to enforce action if the organisation is a bit slow to respond, and may be more effective than Facebook.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There's a simple fix. Issue the riders with gloves.
Yes I agree but we're straying into victims taking responsibility for their own safety (YKWIM) territory along the lines of: ride a bike = wear hi viz.

Whatever PPE is appropriate as additional cover, the basic state of repair of the track and protection from fast moving parts of the supplied machinery should be a prerequisite

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Were the routine thingsdone at the site on, or as soon as possible, after the day - such as filling in an accident report form? Might also be worth letting the local council know - it looks like an Environmental Health issue, possibly (though I'm not an expert). They're more likely to have powers to enforce action if the organisation is a bit slow to respond, and may be more effective than Facebook.

They did fill out a report which we haven't yet signed or seen. This will be done tomorrow when we go along to see them. They hadn't fixed it all yet and still running the karts as far as I'm aware. I won't know any more untill after work tomorrow

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @jnrmczip, really sorry to read what happened to your wee girl, hope she recovers soon, it looks like a right sore one.
I know the Free Wheel north staff quite well: without knowing the details, I must stress that they are competent, certainly not sloppy in health and safety matters.
The track is used daily by school groups, disabled groups and learner cyclists.
@KatyO, Freewheel North's bike mechanic, is a member of this forum.

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Hi @jnrmczip, really sorry to read what happened to your wee girl, hope she recovers soon, it looks like a right sore one.
I know the Free Wheel north staff quite well: without knowing the details, I must stress that they are competent, certainly not sloppy in health and safety matters.
The track is used daily by school groups, disabled groups and learner cyclists.
@KatyO, Freewheel North's bike mechanic, is a member of this forum.

Hi @Pat "5mph" I Fully Support The Work That Free Wheel North Carry Out. I know you say they are very competent I land I trust your judgement although there is definetly more they could be doing. For example the pot holes on the track are rediculious and after such an incident should be rectified. Yes they have filled in the ones that caused the incident but not immediately and the track was still in use. This is just one of the areas that I am concerned with along with many others. I am in no way out to get them but really want to make sure this doesn't happen again. I will be going to see carol and the project manager today at 1 o'clock to raise the issues I have and give them some advice on how to go about fixing them. I have spent the last hour in work creating a list of things needing to be looked at and also things they could be doing in the future to prevent incidents.
I am however also quite angry at the feeble excuse as to why bayley was left with baby wipes to cover her hand untill she arrived at hospital. I do understand what they said about how they don't usually have accidents like this and only see cuts scrapes and bruises. But for first aid trained staff to act in this way and not cover her hand properly is beyond me. And I will be suggesting a refresher course as part of first aid training covers bandages and burns.
I know I may come across a little ott about the situation but I simply don't want this to happen to another child. And anything I can do to prevent that will be done. Also I hope the organisation can take something from this and be even more competent in the future.

Top Bottom