feel bad but it had to be done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

If you are first aid trained and think that sticking a bandage on a full depth burn is a good idea, then I suggest you don't do any first aid until you take a refresher course.

I suggested it be covered and that bandages and burns are covered in first aid. This doesn't say put a bandage on it but the use of clingfilm is covered under this section

Paul99

Über Member
I haven't ignored others comments and I am not laying full blame on the facility either. My better half was doing the correct limit in the kart in fact under it and I'm sure (not huge on going fast) and probably being overtake by other kids if not the person in charge would have noticed this and applied their rules stated on there sign.

Did they have their eyes closed then? Because if they were going at a safe speed on a gravel track they surely would have seen this crater that caused the accident and been able to avoid it? Multiple factors.

What about the gloves? Do you wear gloves when you cycle?

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Did they have their eyes closed then? Because if they were going at a safe speed on a gravel track they surely would have seen this crater that caused the accident and been able to avoid it? Multiple factors.

What about the gloves? Do you wear gloves when you cycle?

I do wear gloves when I cycle

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

So how did your other half know if she was doing the correct speed limit in her pedal go kart? How can you categorically state that she as doing below the limit?

I know my other half and to be honest I am surprised she even got it moving and it wasn't my little girl peddling.

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Also as I have said previously this is not about blaming the facility in any way. It's solely about helping them rectify any problems and preventing such a thin happening in the future

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

And yet that is exactly what you've done.

We appreciate that you've had a shock and are concerned about your daughter. But you are effectively accusing the facility of negligence. Some of us are trying to point out that you need to take a deep breath, step back and think about this a bit more. Is what you're doing and the way that you are doing it actually productive and likely to improve things in the future?

To be 100% honest I think it will help them in the future by making them even more competent

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

I haven't said I blame them only that I think more could have been done at the time and more needs to be done in the future and that is my opinion. I understand others may not feel that way as this hasn't happened to them. I am only trying to stop it from happening again. I feel I have dealt with the situation fairly as I have not immediately been on to health and safety or trying to claim against them as many others would. I just want them to a dress the issues and prevent them from happening again. Which I am sure they will do and that will be the end of the matter.

Let's assume that the people at the centre knew the correct first aid for burns, and chose the best material they had, baby wipes. Under those circumstances an ambulance should definitely have been called, as that is not enough protection to move the kid safely. Putting a child in a taxi with a basically uncovered serious burn was not responsible.

I am however also quite angry at the feeble excuse as to why bayley was left with baby wipes to cover her hand untill she arrived at hospital. I do understand what they said about how they don't usually have accidents like this and only see cuts scrapes and bruises. But for first aid trained staff to act in this way and not cover her hand properly is beyond me. And I will be suggesting a refresher course as part of first aid training covers bandages and burns.

I have been first aid trained for quite a number of years (the proper 3 day + defib course, not the 1 day), and actually only recently did the refresher as I always keep it up to date.

A child, with that injury? I think that depending on the mental state of the child I'd have been tempted to leave it open. It's quite a large area, wrapping with cling film will be quite awkward to do it effectively, add in that it is a child who isn't likely to give you their hand and willingly let you do it, where you are likely to cause a considerable amount of extra pain.

They are also not allowed to drive you to a hospital themselves, unless somebody there has the correct insurance, but, should I suppose could have called an ambulance, if there's no transport. At least them, keeping the child inside and still till a paramedic arrives, will help reduce the chance of infection etc.

But that is quite severe, and obviously needs medical attention. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable cleaning, definitely one for the professionals! Remember, that first aiders aren't professionals in the medical industry.

However, on to getting your complaint sorted, since your child received hospital treatment after the accident, then it is RIDDOR Reportable, which they should file to the HSE within 10 days of the incident.

The HSE will then perform their investigation into the incident, when you speak to them, you want confirmation that this has been reported to the HSE under the Riddor regulations. If it hasn't, then you really do need to be getting in touch with the HSE.

Top Bottom