First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That depends. There's a difference between emergency only and no signal. For the former, you are correct. For the latter, I fear nothing short of a sat phone will help.
No worries, we'll all have them in ten years anyway. As soon as they can make them smaller and without those silly ariels they'll outsell the iphone.

I have one, never used it myself, but I did give two Gaviscon tablets to a guy on one of the Test Valley rides a few years back

Naughty!

YIu should never give medication, you never know enough about the patient's allergies, condition, other medication and side effects

Tin Pot

Guru
DIY traction kit and a defibrillator.

Our regular Sunday ride group photo:

sja-joe-giggins-reunion-photocall-2.jpg

Always be prepared.

G-Zero

Über Member
In the UK, I carry nowt, but when me and the missus were putting some decent miles together in France, well away from our base, I chucked my mountain first aid kit in a pannier.... Never needed it though !

annirak

Veteran
Im recently qualified first aided too.

I'll be the first on this thread to say it then <deep breath>:

Cycling Is Not A Dangerous Activity.

I don't carry a first aid kit when walking, driving or going to the pub - why would I carry one whilst cycling?

See the helmet & headphones forum for more information*

*And less useful reading too.

:smile:

Who said the first aid kit was for you? What about the unfortunate person in need of assistance whom you pass on the way to the pub?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I carry nothing unusual on my own, but usually carry a small first aid kit on group rides and I'm pretty sure at least one other regular does too.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you do give another person OTC medication, or fluids, etc, and you think an ambulance may be needed, keep track of what the person has been given, and in what amount. This way the paramedics will know what they are dealing with. Information is quite a valuable first aid tool.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nothing.

I'm not sure what kind of first aid kit would help with a ruptured spleen or something else that serious.

If it's cuts/roadrash then just keep riding. There's no real need to be píssing about with playing Florence Nightingale.

I am so pleased some stopped and "Pissed about at playing Florence Nightingale" with me last week. They helped prevent me losing a finger. You have obviously never been in the position where you cannot carry on riding and I hope you never are.

That might be true for prescription meds, or even at a pinch when the recipient is a child, but for over the counter indigestion and other remedies that is just ridiculous.

Ridiculous or not it is the unequivocal position of the HSE who supervise First Aid in the work place and for all the organisations carrying out First Aid in the UK

Are first-aiders allowed to give tablets and medication to casualties?
First aid at work does not include giving tablets or medicines to treat illness. The only exception to this is where aspirin is used when giving first aid to a casualty with a suspected heart attack, in accordance with currently accepted first-aid practice. It is recommended that tablets and medicines should not be kept in the first-aid box.

Frequently asked questions on first aid

Top Bottom