First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have obviously never been in the position where you cannot carry on riding and I hope you never are.
Just searched and saw your thread, I'm glad it seems to have not been as serious as first thought; but I failed to see the bit in the thread which said "I am so glad of the first aid kit"...I saw the bit where you were glad you wore a helmet and the bit where you were glad a nurse was first on the scene. Yet no mention of the first aid kit that helped save your finger.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just searched and saw your thread, I'm glad it seems to have not been as serious as first thought; but I failed to see the bit in the thread which said "I am so glad of the first aid kit"...I saw the bit where you were glad you wore a helmet and the bit where you were glad a nurse was first on the scene. Yet no mention of the first aid kit that helped save your finger.

The first person to stop had a first aid kit. I was wearing short fingered cycling gloves and within a minute the finger with the compound fracture was swelling and the band at the end of the finger was constricting the swelling and the blood flow. She had a bit of a job but she managed to use the scissors to cut my glove off and get the blood going again. She also had a sachet of Saline solution to clean my finger and bandage to bandage me up. I would have had much worse problems is she had not got the glove off. The road rash was not a problem and that was cleaned and left open at the hospital.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ridiculous or not it is the unequivocal position of the HSE who supervise First Aid in the work place and for all the organisations carrying out First Aid in the UK

Frequently asked questions on first aid
The way I got around it was by having my own personal supply of paracetamol (so they were just borrowing of a work colleague), which they could have one but I wasn't supplying it as a First Aider .... it was the thing that most people I worked with expected to be in the first aid kit.

subaqua

What’s the point
single man kit as a hangover from lone working many years ago. not that it would have been much use had i hurt my self seriously .

Plasters
triangular bandages 2 no
2 small wound dressings
2 medium wound dressings
celox powder
Faceshield ( I have a pocket mask)
antiseptic wipes
Non Latex goves
first aid scissors
Mepore tape
safety pins

you can search for when I stopped and helped a guy lying on the floor outside Leyton Tube station .

I was under the impression that this thread was about what first aid stuff people carry when they're out riding their bikes. But if you want to talk about your workplace again, you carry on. :rolleyes:

You are aware that the HSE govern ALL first aid training in the UK and that it is not just limited to the workplace?

If you go on a First Aid Course from the St John Ambulance, the British Red Cross or any other organisation it is to the HSE approved syllabus and they ALL say no to carrying and administering medication

But if you wish to deny the reality by erroneously claiming I am talking about my workplace then feel free

Onthedrops

Veteran
Simple tiny first aid kit for me. A few plasters, small bandage, medi wipes, tape and tiny scissors. All contained in a neat zip up pouch which fits nicely in my under saddle bag. Thankfully never had cause to use it but it's there if required.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Missing the point again I see. You sound like those people who used to say no one should attempt to do CPR in case they did more harm than good, like breaking the poor dying person's ribs. If I'm out cycling and I see a person who needs an Elastoplast, I'm going to carry on offering one regardless of what the HSE has to say about it ^_^.
That has to be one of the silliest rules in the past about plasters in schools, now they seem to be more sensible!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The first person to stop had a first aid kit. I was wearing short fingered cycling gloves and within a minute the finger with the compound fracture was swelling and the band at the end of the finger was constricting the swelling and the blood flow. She had a bit of a job but she managed to use the scissors to cut my glove off and get the blood going again. She also had a sachet of Saline solution to clean my finger and bandage to bandage me up. I would have had much worse problems is she had not got the glove off. The road rash was not a problem and that was cleaned and left open at the hospital.
Glad everything came out all right, hope you are well on the mend.

Missing the point again I see.

The only point being missed is that according to all those with any role in First Aid Training or the provision of First Aid both at work and in the community disagree with you. It is NOT First Aid, no matter how you wish to deny this point and make ridiculous claims

You sound like those people who used to say no one should attempt to do CPR in case they did more harm than good, like breaking the poor dying person's ribs. If I'm out cycling and I see a person who needs an Elastoplast, I'm going to carry on offering one regardless of what the HSE has to say about it ^_^.

As someone who was an HSE qualified First Aid Instructor for a number of years dealing with everything from new mums to Fire Services, lets just say that my opinion on when to eprform CPR is well informed and totally unrelated to your fantasies

Yes there are cases when I would not perform CPR for instance, one guy I know quite well has made a formal DNACPR statement

As for the claim that HSE don't approve on plasters, care to verify that one as I can easily disprove it

Myth: Adults can't put plasters on children's cuts
June 2008
jun08-large.jpg

The reality
We've often heard of teachers, volunteers and carers being told to ask parents for permission, or even requiring parents to drive over and put the plaster on themselves. This persistent myth causes a lot of unnecessary hassle and worry.

There is no rule that says a responsible adult can't put a plaster on a child's minor cut. Some children do have an allergy to normal plasters. If you know a child is allergic you can use the Hypo-allergenic type of plaster. The important thing is to clean and cover the cut to stop it getting infected.

You really shouldn't believe the internet until you have checked it independently

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I take a phone. I used to carry some savlon (or similar) and some plasters but, never used them so I don't bother. Anyway savlon takes up valuable flapjack space.
I don't think that a bit of savlon and some elastoplast is going to make a bit of difference with an off. I went through a phase of carrying something for stings but then just decided to woman up.

Actually, now I think of it. I do have a sachet of vinegar in my saddlebag. Very handy for wasp stings etc. I got it from a pub lunch that we were at. I dare say, that it might come in handy for chips while out on a ride too.

LocalLad

I was just thinking the other day that some electrical tape might be handy in the saddle bag - great for potential emergency repairs, and great as a temporary plaster.

I also like the space blanket idea - when I was commuting 150 miles a day, I always had a couple in the car - came in handy when I saw a motor cyclist knocked off by a car.

The problem with drugs is that many have side effects or can interfere with other medications. In a cycling incident scenario this can be an issue

User13710's post, whilst intended to discredit, is actually a superb support of the responsibilities and liabilities of giving drugs to strangers

You sound like those people who used to say no one should attempt to do CPR in case they did more harm than good, like breaking the poor dying person's ribs. .

If you perform CPR and do break ribs then as you are performing an approved First Aid process and in the approved manner then you are covered and there will be no come back.

However if someone reacts to a drug or medicine that you have given then as it is NOT an approved First Aid process, you are open to claims in the worst case

The difference is subtle, but important

If someone says to you "Do you have any Gaviscon" and you provide the two tablets then it is their request and their decision

However if someone says that they have "heartburn" and you then suggest that they take Gaviscon and they react it is your responsibility as you ahve technically decicded what is wrong with them and given medication

Not forgetting that you have decided it is Heartburn and Gaviscon is appropriate. Heartburn can be the first early warning of a heart attack, which you have excluded?

Top Bottom