First ride... feeling terrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's been a long time since I exercised, let alone even being on a bike. Bought a new road bike (Triban 520) and thought I'd take it down a local bike route near my house.

Had a good amount of water all day, and food etc. But my ride only lasted about 10 minutes...

Light-headed, feeling sick, sore legs, shortness of breath. When I got back to the house, I thought I was going to collapse! I'm a larger man (6ft 4 and around 20st), so I'm sure going from doing no exercise to enjoying a road bike will take it's time to get my body adjusted to it.

But, couldn't believe how bad I felt.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice for someone of my build?

Steppylud

Über Member
I am not as tall but similar weight. Take it easy, build up slow. That is a very fast looking bike to go to for your first effort. Also are you sure you are positioned correctly, correct seat height etc? Your leg muscles won't be used to the effort required. Stick with it but just take it easy. You will get there!

lpretro1

It may be a good idea - no offence intended - but given your stated weight and the fact that you haven't exercised in a long time it would be prudent to go to the doctor for a health check especially after you are experiencing light-headedness & shortness of breath.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi @jonnyfoxtrot - yes, take it slower! And listen to your body. And don't beat yourself up. There are people on this forum who started out cycling up their street and back and now are much fitter (calling @ScotiaLass!). There are also people on here who have started unfit and also on the heavy side and made it through so I'm sure they'll be along shortly to tell their stories.

OP
OP
jonnyfoxtrot

jonnyfoxtrot

I am not as tall but similar weight. Take it easy, build up slow. That is a very fast looking bike to go to for your first effort. Also are you sure you are positioned correctly, correct seat height etc? Your leg muscles won't be used to the effort required. Stick with it but just take it easy. You will get there!

Yeah I was positioned no problem, bike felt great - THE SPEED! Thanks for the encouragement.

It may be a good idea - no offence intended - but given your stated weight and the fact that you haven't exercised in a long time it would be prudent to go to the doctor for a health check especially after you are experiencing light-headedness & shortness of breath.

I was thinking this too - I think I'll take it a little slower next time and build up my stamina first. Thanks!

Hi @jonnyfoxtrot - yes, take it slower! And listen to your body. And don't beat yourself up. There are people on this forum who started out cycling up their street and back and now are much fitter (calling @ScotiaLass!). There are also people on here who have started unfit and also on the heavy side and made it through so I'm sure they'll be along shortly to tell their stories.

Oh that's nice to hear, guess I just need to keep going!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@jonnyfoxtrot , we all had to start somewhere bud.
When I got back on the bike 10 years ago after a good few years of not cycling. I was 4 stone overweight, unfit as an unfit thing from planet unfit. My first ride was to the local station and back. A grand mileage of 1.5 miles. It was ok on the way there, on the way back, Yegods.. I nearly died. It only took 10 minutes, just like your ride, it was all uphill (or now as I see it, a gentle slope). When I got home Mrs Ian though I was going to have a heart attack. I had to go lie down for 20 minutes. I stuck with it. It was very hard work, but the weight soon dropped of and the fitness got better and better the more I rode. It will for you too. It ain't easy and it takes time and effort. But preservere , you will get there.

Check out this video from CC's very own Gaz. 20 stone? Pah!

doughnut

Veteran
10 mins is longer than I lasted first time out. Take it easy and do that 10 minute ride a few times a week. When you are comfortable, add another 5 mins, then another, etc. In a month, you will look back and be amazed at how much you have improved. You will improve in the distance you can go and also in the speed that you recover once you get home. Important thing is to do it because you enjoy it - that way you will keep on doing it rather than looking for excuses not to.

Ganymede

Veteran
10 mins is longer than I lasted first time out. Take it easy and do that 10 minute ride a few times a week. When you are comfortable, add another 5 mins, then another, etc. In a month, you will look back and be amazed at how much you have improved. You will improve in the distance you can go and also in the speed that you recover once you get home. Important thing is to do it because you enjoy it - that way you will keep on doing it rather than looking for excuses not to.
Good advice - also is there a short journey that you regularly do that can be done by bike? Paper shop or something... I do the 3 miles to my aged p's house without even thinking about it now but the first time was Quite Hard! I have to visit to make sure they're all right so it's a good regular bit of exercise.

OP
OP
jonnyfoxtrot

jonnyfoxtrot

@jonnyfoxtrot , we all had to start somewhere bud.
When I got back on the bike 10 years ago after a good few years of not cycling. I was 4 stone overweight, unfit as an unfit thing from planet unfit. My first ride was to the local station and back. A grand mileage of 1.5 miles. It was ok on the way there, on the way back, Yegods.. I nearly died. It only took 10 minutes, just like your ride, it was all uphill (or now as I see it, a gentle slope). When I got home Mrs Ian though I was going to have a heart attack. I had to go lie down for 20 minutes. I stuck with it. It was very hard work, but the weight soon dropped of and the fitness got better and better the more I rode. It will for you too. It ain't easy and it takes time and effort. But preservere , you will get there.

Check out this video from CC's very own Gaz. 20 stone? Pah!

Woah, what an inspiration, thank you for sharing!

Great advice, thank you very much

Good advice - also is there a short journey that you regularly do that can be done by bike? Paper shop or something... I do the 3 miles to my aged p's house without even thinking about it now but the first time was Quite Hard! I have to visit to make sure they're all right so it's a good regular bit of exercise.

I work from home, but I guess going to the shop for some milk will help me out! Thanks again

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hello!
Well done on getting out there. You do have to take it easy, as I know only too well.
I have a host of medical issues (but cleared by my GP to cycle) so I got back on my bike 18 months ago.
At first I could only manage down to the bottom of my street and back. Seriously, that was it. I needed about 3 days rest before I could do it again!

Gradually I went a bit further until I could cycle a few miles and I didn't feel so bad afterwards.
Now I'm cycling several times a week and covering between 40-80 miles in the week, my longest in a week has been 105 miles!
I can easily ride for 30 miles in one go and am aiming for 50 by the end of the year. It's nice to have goals!

I still have a lot of weight to lose (about 5 stone now) but I'm out there and doing stuff.
Take your time, it will happen!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done @jonnyfoxtrot for getting started!
One thing I learnt was to start slow and finish strong! We hop on a bike and our brains think we're kids again, but the body tells a different story!
It's really important to set-out slowly, at least for the first 15 mins, just go very gently and slowly increase speed. If you can't cycle and talk at the same time, you're going too fast. Choose an easy gear and spin the pedals, slow down for the last 5 mins. Very soon you'll be going further and faster - that's the joy of the bicycle, but you need to adjust gradually.
Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom