First ride... feeling terrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are using muscles you've not used in years. Don't expect much. It'll come and quite quickly.

Mouki

Regular
Agreed - Well done! :wahhey:

I am short and was round and went to the docs a few years ago after knackering out just going up some stairs and the Docs told me was borderline obese for my height! Hearing that is never nice! You want to do something about it and DOING something is the first step!

I suggest don't go nuts and don't cut all naughty food out and don't suddenly exercise loads! It's little bubbah steps!

Example:
Week 1: Change 1 thing in your diet (no more coca cola everyday), start walking in the park.
Week 3: Change 2 things in your diet (+no more crisps or chocy everyday) and walk to the shops too.
Week 5: Change 3 things in your diet (+no more take-aways 4 nights a week) and walk to the station / work.

And obviously, start incorporating your bike! You'll be shocked how quickly you gain stamina and strength and shed the weight! :smile:

Keep at it whatever you decide and you'll notice a world of difference! Good luck!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well done and speed is sometimes fun but don't hammer it so hard that you pass out! Maybe join a local freewheeling group and gradually build up the distances and speeds? (My local group's shortest rides are 4 miles.)

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Great work @jonnyfoxtrot. Like others have said it is the courage to just get out there in the first place, but make sure you just take it easy, don't push yourself too hard. When I started training again I didn't think about the distance or the speed that I was going at but worked on time.... 10 Mins then increasing to 15 mins, then 30mins and an hour after a few weeks.

Your body will soon get used to it, and then you will faster than a speeding bullet.

And most of all enjoy!!!! :-)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You've done the hard bit. The first ride. Maybe a 5 minute ride 4 times a week for the first week, then a 7 minute ride and so on and so forth while you get a little fitter. You wouldn't have bought new trainers and gone straight out for a 10 minute run, would you? Bike riding is no different really.

My husband used to throw up after 10 minutes, on a flat towpath. He rides 40+ miles with no bother now.
Keep on keeping on, nice and steady and don't rush. There is no hurry :smile:

You've gone from exercising no muscles, to exercising just about every single muscle simultaneously. It's no wonder you've suffered mild shock. Take it easy, build up the mileage and speed slowly, if you keep at it, you'll start to see the difference in fairly short order. The 520 is a very nice bike, and it will get easier, and feel better as your physical condition improves.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well it's been a long time since I exercised, let alone even being on a bike. Bought a new road bike (Triban 520) and thought I'd take it down a local bike route near my house.

Had a good amount of water all day, and food etc. But my ride only lasted about 10 minutes...

Light-headed, feeling sick, sore legs, shortness of breath. When I got back to the house, I thought I was going to collapse! I'm a larger man (6ft 4 and around 20st), so I'm sure going from doing no exercise to enjoying a road bike will take it's time to get my body adjusted to it.

But, couldn't believe how bad I felt.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice for someone of my build?
Well done for getting out on your bike Jonny! :bravo:

I did have those exact same symptoms a few years ago and in my case it was because I was becoming seriously ill, so the advice to go for a check-up is worth heeding!

I had a major problem with blood clots in my legs which broke off, passed through my heart and started blocking the circulation to my lungs. I have since found out that obese men*** over 5' 10" are at least 5 times more likely to suffer from such clots than shorter, slimmer men. I am 6' 1" and was nearly 17 stone when I got ill. Since you are both tall AND overweight, you are at greatly increased risk, Regular exercise and losing weight will greatly decrease your chances of such problems so keep it up. Just see the doc before pushing yourself too hard!

*** The same would probably apply to very tall obese women, but there were not enough very tall women in the sample group for the researchers to be confident of their results for them.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
About four years ago I rode a £25 bike shaped object from the sea front car park at Criccieth up Castle Hill to the chip shop at full chat. This was my first ride in about ten years, and I very nearly fainted in the queue at the shop. I remember thinking at the time that I was going to die ignominiously in a fish shop queue. Now I have a good bike, a fair bit better fitness, and I ride about 2,000 miles a year. I'll bet you could make this progress too!

Like everyone else has said...don't push too far and just enjoy it! It's an amazing feeling when you get home/work and realise that you've cycled there. On the way you have probably smiled at the sunrise, the bleat of a lamb or the honk of a car that is too close but they don't realise that you are living life and they are missing it!

Keep having fun...and don't pass out. Although the first week that I commuted with my friend, I vomited most days until I told him that I just couldn't keep up and he needed to slow down (it was never in his presence...I just waited until he peeled off to work!)

simon.r

Person
I've not read all the replies, but I'm sure many will echo my experience:

I got on a bike about 20 years ago, aged 30, overweight and ridiculously unfit. Cycled to the end of the road and back (literally 1/2 mile) and thought I was going to die. I kept at it and was soon doing 5 miles, then 10...I'll regularly do 50+ miles now and actually enjoy the ride!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Like others have said, just enjoy yourself. Its not about miles, its about quality, and enjoyment. My first few times lasted 20 mins max up and down the road. Take it easy, gradually build up the time and distance. Have fun.

Katherine

Guru
Well done to you. Don't give up or be put off. Little and often.
Good luck and enjoy your cycling.

5 years ago I started by doing 2 miles every few days and slowly, gradually built up the miles. I now do about 250 miles a month. However I also went for gentle walks at lunchtimes which I have kept up. I actually think that the walking has made the biggest difference to my waistline. Tip : always take the stairs! In addition , I have been going to Pilates, which has helped with stamina, flexibility and strength. All this, plus healthy eating, has taken me from a size 16 to a 10.

Cadire

I work from home, but I guess going to the shop for some milk will help me out! Thanks again

I work mostly from home too, and I know how easy it is to get used to being in one place and not venturing out too much.

I am 6' 1" and 17 stone, so definitely overweight, and like you I also decided to do something about it. I've been riding my bike for almost 2 weeks now and even in that short time I have noticed a difference in my stamina and strength. I go out either in the morning or the evening (or even lunch time!) and what was a bit of a struggle is slowly turning into a real pleasure.

My advice, as a fellow beginner, is to get an app to map your route and progress. I can't stop looking at mine and it spurs me to continue doing what I'm doing. It will do for you too I'm sure!

You have an advantage over me, in that you have gone straight to the roads, whereas I am still trundling along towpaths and cycle routes, so good on you!

Slow and steady is the key. Stop if you need to and don't overdo it!

Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom