First ride... feeling terrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoftusRoadie

千里之行,始於足下
It will get easier but don't rush it (that's not a translation, that's my "extra" advice).
Good luck.

Pish

At last I have found a thread in the "Beginners" section that I can identify with!

So, wrong side of 60 and if you described me as "portly" you would be being kind.

I last had a bike when I was 10, during the last 50 years I have ridden a bike twice. My husband took up cycling three months ago. He bought a second hand bike, changed the front tyre, got it serviced, changed the chain (within about 6 weeks) and then bought a new Dawes Galaxy Cross tourer. The difference it has made to him has been incredible, he comes back from a ride almost euphoric. I thought "I want some of that".

I picked up a Dawes Ladies Karakum three days ago. Walked it about 50 yards to a car park (fortunately empty). Went round it a couple of times, rode through some back streets and then down a street with loads of speed humps. Probably took 15 minutes to get home from leaving the shop. A bit wobbly but I didn't fall off and as far as I am concerned an achievement. Not had an opportunity to take it out since, raining or windy, but looking forward to taking it out at the weekend, if only for another 10 minutes.

The blurb on the bike says that you can sit in the comfortable saddle for hours. I call them liars, but husband says that I will get used to it in a couple of weeks. My friend thinks it hilarious that I have bought bicycle clips, and apparently, the fact that they are the florescent only adds to the hilarity. But, do you know what, I just think of how husband has improved and I don't care.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
At last I have found a thread in the "Beginners" section that I can identify with!

<snip>
The blurb on the bike says that you can sit in the comfortable saddle for hours. I call them liars, but husband says that I will get used to it in a couple of weeks. <snip> .

Your bum/sit bones will get used to it. Just break them in gently.

Sauce pot

Regular
I agree your bum will get used to it. First few times out on my bike I couldn't sit down and thought I'd give up cycling. But I got back on and next time it wasn't so bad and after a few times it. Wasn't the bum that hurt but everything else!! Stick with it

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Good for you @jonnyfoxtrot !

I'm another one who got their arse back on a bike properly after many years. I was generally fit- gym, walking, and riding my bike 1/2 mile each way to work.
So,I changed jobs and bought a road bike which I'd wanted to do for a couple of years. The 5 miles home from the shop were hard, really hard! Jelly legs, racing heart beat!
That weekend I went out for a 5 mile loop and 2 old roadies went by like lightning. I felt so small, pathetic and weak!

If you go in the your ride today thread in the cafe section and see what I was up to last week it's like chalk and cheese!

Keep at it!

xzenonuk

Veteran
Well it's been a long time since I exercised, let alone even being on a bike. Bought a new road bike (Triban 520) and thought I'd take it down a local bike route near my house.

Had a good amount of water all day, and food etc. But my ride only lasted about 10 minutes...

Light-headed, feeling sick, sore legs, shortness of breath. When I got back to the house, I thought I was going to collapse! I'm a larger man (6ft 4 and around 20st), so I'm sure going from doing no exercise to enjoying a road bike will take it's time to get my body adjusted to it.

But, couldn't believe how bad I felt.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice for someone of my build?

when i started cycling again on my old bike i got about 5 minutes and a hill looked like a mountain and i was knackered, stick at it i ended up doing 40 plus mile rides on a mountain bike lol

just stick at it, do bits at a time and let your muscles heal, takes mine about 3 or 4 days if i really push them but their stronger for the next ride, just take your time and tell your self your gonna be getting gaspy and very sweaty and need a shower afterwards and since you need a shower afterwards why not push a little more, meh thats what i do lol wet with shower or sweat there seems to be no middle ground for me lol :smile:

Top Bottom