First ride... feeling terrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
As others have said slow and steady, but little and often.
I started riding again a few years ago and my first rides were enjoyable but very hard work. 2 years ago I did the London to Southend in 5 hours 18 minutes.
I would suggest that you may have a problem with Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) as you haven't exercised for some time. If you do I suggest Natural Hero Muscle Rub. It warms up nicely and best of all it actually works

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well it's been a long time since I exercised, let alone even being on a bike. Bought a new road bike (Triban 520) and thought I'd take it down a local bike route near my house.

Had a good amount of water all day, and food etc. But my ride only lasted about 10 minutes...

Light-headed, feeling sick, sore legs, shortness of breath. When I got back to the house, I thought I was going to collapse! I'm a larger man (6ft 4 and around 20st), so I'm sure going from doing no exercise to enjoying a road bike will take it's time to get my body adjusted to it.

But, couldn't believe how bad I felt.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice for someone of my build?

Yes.

On my first ride - 6 miles taking over an hour - I had to stop 5 times and came back shattered, red-faced and out of breath.

It took a few weeks before I could ride the route without stopping, riding it 3 times a week.

Now? I'm about to do a 600k audax.

My suggestion is to keep going but also keep it steady.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Like a few people on here I have a similar story too. 6'3"' nearly 20 stone, bought a bike. First ride was just to see if I had assembled it properly, but I ended up doing 5 miles! I thought this was an amazing feat and I was totally exhausted and had a really sore arse. Then, as I got into it, after only a few weeks, 5 miles was nothing. The weight started falling off. My arse stopped hurting. I did a 100 miler 7 months later. Now my wife thinks I am obsessed with cycling. I'm not, I just really really really really really like it. I now am 15 stone and still dropping. What's not to like about cycling?:becool:

Get an MOT checkup from your doctor.
Do you walk at all? This is probably the safest way to wake up your dormant muscles. Seeing as you are inexperienced in cycling, very heavy and not very fit, your chances of taking a fall increase exponentially. Stack the odds in your favour by getting some "walk in the park" fitness first.
When you start to ride, your muscles strengthen faster than connective tissue. Don't be tempted to sprint until you are fit AND conditioned. IMHO it will take about 3 months of riding moderate distance at moderate speed before you are fit enough to start any kind of athletic training.

Hi everyone Im a newby to the forum and cycles well not had one for 35 years.Eleven years ago I had a motorcycle accident and suffered a broken back,open book break to my pelvis and multiple other injuries associated with pelvic and back fractures,I am now East Yorkshires answer to the bionic man lol.All this has left me with restricted movement in my left leg and lower back as a consequence of this I have piled the pounds on which has bothered me for years.
So now I'll go back to last summer when my wife had some surgery and once healed decided she wanted to get fit and bought a cheap mountain bike from halfords,she has since run it into the ground with daily 25-35 miles rides and this she achieved with baby steps ,little and often.She the bought a Claud Butler hybrid which I kinda thought looked OK for a push bike,she now throws regular 50+ milers into her schedule.
Anyway I got up one morning 3 weeks ago 6am ish ,usual thing pain in my back etc feeling pretty peed off with the world,made a cuppa and went down the garden to sit in the sun and caughtva glimpse of swmbos bike and that was it I went for a spin had to stop at about a mile thinking my chest was going to implode,turned round went home and collapsed in a heap on the bed I stuck at it and last week bought my own bike a Carrera gryphon and kit and am now up 7 or 8 miles without having to walk up hills etc☺ and my recovery time has come down a huge amount to say I'm chuffed is an understatement
I found my wife's encouragement to be my greatest asset she's picked me up when I've been ready to throw the towel in and kept me motivated and losing motivation is so easy when you are exhausted.The only advice I can give is learn how to use your gears properly they are there to help,have a breather before your body goes into meltdown there's no shame in stopping for a rest as often as you need,freewheel as often as you can/need to,take plenty of fluids on board it really does help,and lastly wear the correct gear ..padded Lycra shorts are a bloody godsend and being a life long bearded grufty mans man biker that's not easy for me to admit to,oh and don't beat yourself up if you feel you've not done as well as you thought you could,think that's it lol ☺

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi everyone Im a newby to the forum and cycles well not had one for 35 years.Eleven years ago I had a motorcycle accident and suffered a broken back,open book break to my pelvis and multiple other injuries associated with pelvic and back fractures,I am now East Yorkshires answer to the bionic man lol.All this has left me with restricted movement in my left leg and lower back as a consequence of this I have piled the pounds on which has bothered me for years.
So now I'll go back to last summer when my wife had some surgery and once healed decided she wanted to get fit and bought a cheap mountain bike from halfords,she has since run it into the ground with daily 25-35 miles rides and this she achieved with baby steps ,little and often.She the bought a Claud Butler hybrid which I kinda thought looked OK for a push bike,she now throws regular 50+ milers into her schedule.
Anyway I got up one morning 3 weeks ago 6am ish ,usual thing pain in my back etc feeling pretty peed off with the world,made a cuppa and went down the garden to sit in the sun and caughtva glimpse of swmbos bike and that was it I went for a spin had to stop at about a mile thinking my chest was going to implode,turned round went home and collapsed in a heap on the bed I stuck at it and last week bought my own bike a Carrera gryphon and kit and am now up 7 or 8 miles without having to walk up hills etc☺ and my recovery time has come down a huge amount to say I'm chuffed is an understatement
I found my wife's encouragement to be my greatest asset she's picked me up when I've been ready to throw the towel in and kept me motivated and losing motivation is so easy when you are exhausted.The only advice I can give is learn how to use your gears properly they are there to help,have a breather before your body goes into meltdown there's no shame in stopping for a rest as often as you need,freewheel as often as you can/need to,take plenty of fluids on board it really does help,and lastly wear the correct gear ..padded Lycra shorts are a bloody godsend and being a life long bearded grufty mans man biker that's not easy for me to admit to,oh and don't beat yourself up if you feel you've not done as well as you thought you could,think that's it lol ☺
That is SUCH a great story! Congrats on your attitude and your improvements - and here's to more fun times on the bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brilliant! Sounds like you have a great wife too :okay:

simon.r

Person
...this has left me with restricted movement in my left leg...

I'm in a similar position (also after a motorbike accident:rolleyes:) and this is an absolute fantastic bit of kit: http://www.getcycling.org.uk/details.php?id=460 I can bend my left knee a bit less than 90 degrees and cycling was becoming more and more painful as time went on, but the pendulum crank means no pain in my knee, even after a long ride. @mickle of this forum is the man to speak to if you think it'd help.

That looks interesting Simon,I'm not so bad at the moment but it may be handy one day☺Are you still riding ?I am but no where near as much as I would likeMy big problem is my left hip,the socket got snapped off my pelvis and was pushed up into my abdomen dislocating my left leg and it is bloody painful but I take my painkillers 30 mins before I go and its bareable,I honestly think the pleasure of being out and about helps too.Its given me a new lease of life and its great

simon.r

Person
That looks interesting Simon,I'm not so bad at the moment but it may be handy one day☺Are you still riding ?I am but no where near as much as I would likeMy big problem is my left hip,the socket got snapped off my pelvis and was pushed up into my abdomen dislocating my left leg and it is bloody painful but I take my painkillers 30 mins before I go and its bareable,I honestly think the pleasure of being out and about helps too.Its given me a new lease of life and its great

The accident that left me with restricted knee movement was 30+ years ago. I became a 'born again biker' 10 years ago, but after another accident that left me in hospital needing skin grafts I've now sold my beloved Rocket 3:angry:. I will have another bike at some point, but no immediate plans.

FWIW neither accident was my fault (hit by cars on both occasions).

Cycling's obviously not the same, but some of the pleasures are similar - getting out in the countryside, stopping at a cafe for a tea and a bacon cob, chatting with people who share the same passion and that general 'wind in your face' feeling whatever the weather throws at you^_^

BrynCP

Über Member
I started at 18.5 stone, a bit shorter than you at 6'2".

My first ride tired me out, I actually only did 1 mile in about 10 minutes, but was encouraged by a family member to do another 2, but that was literally all I could manage and it took me 30 minutes and I was a wreck. Within a week, with 1-2 mile increments, I was up to 10 miles, with rest stops where needed.

Within about two weeks I managed 20 miles, it took me over 2.5 hours and about 3 rest breaks. That was a "long ride" I aimed for on weekends but rarely achived, I knew it was too much to repeat regularly, with week day rides back to 10 miles. The weight fell off and I got much fitter. There were bad days I would take a short cut, but there are still those now 18 months later.

@jonnyfoxtrot just to echo others comments really, though @Mourad_uk I still have crisps when I have a ride (salt you see), the first few months for me were hell really, hated hills ect.... but it comes in time, don't push it to much but ride as much as you can, even if they are short rides, I couldn't ride more than 10 miles for the first couple of months without 2 or 3 breaks (though I could always do a bit of distance, being pretty flat here) and like many a 30 mile ride these days is a none issue, no matter the terrain.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To echo what others have said on here, build up steadily. If you are not a regular walker but decide to have a 5 mile walk, you get tired and muscles you were not even aware of start to hurt. - In my case 48 hours is the turning point for injuries or muscle hurt, starting to improve. Cycling is no different.
Particularly if you gradually extend your distances, the muscle and general discomfort you felt after your first ride, may be a recurring theme for the time being, but it will get easier with time.
An easy way to measure your progress and (hopefully) take some confidence from your body adapting to cycling, would be to build up your time in the saddle very steadily, then in (say) a month's time, do your original ride and see if you feel as bad as you expressed in your post.
I recall having a 4 month or so break from cycling a couple of years back and when back on my bike, going from 5 to 11 to 28 miles in the space of a couple of weeks, (but I am several stone lighter than you and was reasoinable shape). I was wiped out for the rest of the day after the 28 miler. Last Saturday I did 30 miles before our evening meal, just to get out of the house for a couple of hours, with no after effects.
Your body will adapt, you just need to work with it.

Bicykell

Don't know if I'm now preaching to the converted, but I go with everyones advice. Take it easy and enjoy it. The point of what you are doing is to feel better - much much better, not worse. My first ride was 10 minutes last September and I was knackered. Four weeks later I was doing 10 miles, and then (see "You Can not be Sirrus") I was working in a studio about 10 miles from and 800 feet above where I live. the engineer said "Take it from me, mate, you'll be riding up here soon, and sooner than you think." Four weeks later, I rode there for the first time. He was right. Now I go past there around once a week. The speed and distance increase exponentially, not linearly.

But the main thing is, you've started. Don't sicken yourself by trying too hard too soon. Enjoy the freedom, the buzz of cycling. It's brilliant.

Top Bottom