FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
On my way back from Waterloo (about an hour later home than originally planned). If it could happen, it did happen on the way back. Even more of a tortured farce than the journey to Brussels. More to follow in the morning......it's an epic tale & I've been up since 0645 yesterday. Somewhat knackered.
Ride itself was very much worth the bother, of course. Great job Els, and thanks everyone.

StuartG

slower but further
Should have taken the bus Stu. And gotten to see the Atomium to boot :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
Us young(er) people don't get the cheapo bus tickets you know....
I wish, they wouldn't accept my bus pass. It cost a whole fiver to get home from Gent. Don't even get student discount. Ripoff.

That still didn't ruin a brilliant ride. Well that's excepting the cobbles of Brugges which ended thirty five years of perfect harmony between me and my Brooks. The firm but fitting leather was transformed into a pneumatic hammer and made the final 20km a very painful experience. Thank you @swarm_catcher for sticking with me and encouraging me on to Oostende. Much appreciated. Indeed thank you for everything.

I agree with @mmmmartin - the best Friday overnight ever.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Excellent little adventure with so much crammed into a couple of days.
Let us hope fervently that @swarm_catcher organises this again next year, although I can't see a repeat of this year's halfway stop - it's too much of an imposition on the wonderful family - so that needs to be sorted.
Train to Ashford, picked up by @AKA Bob drive to tunnel, through and drive to De Panne in Belgium, park car outside a random house on a residential street. Ride along the coast to Ostend.
Saw strange hotel that looked like a ship:
P4030002.JPG

Main road busy but had segregated cycle path. There is a cycle path along the promenade but it was chokka with forrin peeps and cyclists and dogs etc. At one point we opted to see some countryside by riding alongside a canal but finished up on a muddy track, the sort that would have prompted a look of the most disgust from @dellzeqq so we returned to the coast road.
At Ostend station AKA Bob bought a ticket for him (no ticket needed for his folding bike, obvs), I struggled to extract ticket for self plus non-folding bike with a machine and non-performing credit card then went for the ticket chappie option, tried my French but was told in the finest Oxford accent: "Here we do not speak French, we speak English and Flemish." Rushed to train that was being delayed by AKA Bob folding his bike in the s_l_o_w_e_s_t p_o_s_s_i_b_l_e m_a_n_n_e_r and made it with four seconds to spare. Arrived Brussels Central and after the mandatory faffing with GPS and (failed) attempt to use loos in the extremely posh hotel wandered to Grand Place and took almost three minutes to get there. Steak and chips in the Golden Boot followed by arrival of entire team and away we go. Here are some of us:
P4030005.JPG

We were led by @BalkanExpress by the cleverest way through the most interminable series of tiny lanes and streets to the outskirts of Brussels - ensure he always is with you or follow the GPS track that @redfalo will have. Balkan Express waved goodbye at the outskirts and set off for a warm bed. We set off for the countryside.
Temperature was chilly, felt like 4 degrees, roads were flat as a pancake and hardly saw a car. We stormed along at about 22kph max and rarely below 17kph, TBH I was feeling the strain. @Flandrienne was on a heavy bike but these Belgians seem to really understand how to make a bike shift. Maybe they're good at racing as well? Not sure........
At 3.30am we rolled up into a tiny, sleeping village and stopped at the only house with lights on and went inside to discover the friendliest warmest welcome and a table groaning under the weight of wonderful Flemish food: pains au chocolat, pains au raisin, croissants, breads, ham, cheese, cake, spreads, coffee etc etc etc, it was fantastic.
P4040010.JPG
P4040009.JPG

Suitably refuelled, we donned the mandatory extra layer and set off. Yet more perfect tarmac, small villages and empty roads greeted us, with long sections alongside canals with perfect, traffic-free (very often, no cars are allowed on them) sections. In our lights we could see tendrils of mist rising from the water, and once as we went under a bridge we incurred the wrath of a very small, vociferous duck that squawked loud enough to wake the gods. At Bruges we paused for only 10 minutes to drink water and scoff a bit of grub from saddlebags, rather than loiter at the posh coffee shop we patronised last year, and arrived in Ostend about 9am (I think, not sure). Perhaps we saw a couple of dozen cars on the entire ride.
The same coffee-shop cum bakery as we visited last year was open and several of us wolfed down a €15 "petit dejeuner copious" served quickly (by waitresses speaking English and Flemish - but not French oh non!) and AKA Bob beasted Redfalo and me away to the tram, where we paid €2 each plus €2 for my bike for the 90 minute journey to De Panne. We catnapped on the tram enough to restore some energy. On the way we passed @StuAff hurtling down the coast road at a great rate of knots with a big smile on his face, so he was obviously enjoying himself.
@StuartG used the delights of a folding bike and Megabus to Gent, with a special "old codger's" rate to get him into Brussels and back from Ostend to Gent afterwards.
A short drive from De Panne to the tunnel, where we all slept on the way through and then we back to Dear Old Blighty.
You cannot beat this for a mini-adventure in a country that is supposed to be foreign but seems just like home. The cycling is superb, almost other-worldly, at times - the quality of the tarmac is uniformly excellent and the people friendly, it's not at all like south-east England. As dawn arrived we were by the water with the mist rising slowly and spreading into nearby woods as the dawn chorus became louder. Oh, and we passed some kangeroos. Honest. That's the sort of fantastical ride this turned out to be.
For my money, this is the best cycling the FNRttC offers, with York-Hull the only ride that comes close. Obviously the big, popular FNRttC events have the advantage of big numbers and the social buzz but this ride is my fave.
For 2015, it might be worth taking a car of four riders with bikes on the roofrack and using a ferry or the tunnel, parking in De Panne and the train in to Brussels then doing the ride and the tram back to De Panne.(For four the total cost of this might work out at about the price of the travel from London on the York-Hull ride)
My only advice would be to go for a late afternoon Channel crossing then you can linger longer on the ride and the breakfast, although this would perhaps mean missing out on the excitement of the 90mph motorway dash to catch the Eurotunnel train, which in our case added a little frisson to to an mini-adventure I can only describe as magical.
As always, thanks to @BalkanExpress for services above and beyond the call of duty, to @swarm_catcher but most especially to her friends, who - mum, dad, grandad and grandmum plus young child - got up at 3am and laid on the most wonderful, warm welcome and food for a random bunch of complete strangers who emerged out of the night, wolfed it all down and disappeared into the night. Only in Flanders...........

Sounds like the most wonderful of nights.

It was with great reluctance that I let you set of into the night without me, but, and this will sound heretical, there are somethings in life that outweigh even the best of bike rides. Next year I should be back for the full ride.

I'm glad that the route to Gent worked out, as I can now confess that some of it had only been ridden by me via streetwiew:ohmy:.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My ride report...
The very short version....
Act 1: Dunkerque to De Panne (and hence Brussels): Eeerk! Grr! Hrmph!
Act 2: Brussels to Ostend: Wow! Yay! Flanderstastic!
Act 3: Ostend to Dunkerque: Ouch! F****! F****! (and lots more F***!s).

The very long version....
Warning: This part contains numerous examples of incidents of which the reader may think 'I wouldn't have done that', or 'why didn't he do that?'…hindsight's very straightforward, and so is armchair criticism. If just a few of those things hadn't happened the whole ride sandwich would have been good as the lovely filling. No repeated loops of coastal towns like a really dull Euro adaptation of Groundhog Day, no lengthy stretches on fast roads, and most importantly no crashes and no missed ferry...But they all did. It was A Learning Opportunity. And dear reader, please don't take An Opportunity To Tell Me What I Should Have Done, because I've had plenty of time to think those over and I will do rather better next time. Ta :thanks:

In getting to Brussels, I went for the cheapskate less unreasonably priced option- trains along the coast via Brighton and Ashford Itsnotinternational to Dover, DFDS to Dunkirk, ride to De Panne. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: go for HS1 and/or Eurostar or various other more expensive but less less tedious choices). The Plan, before it went awry, was (version one) train as far as Aalst or thereabouts and ride into Brussels to make the ride mileage up to the ton, modified in version two due to tight timings to train all the way into Brussels, then a short loop out to the Atomium for a photo or two before back to L'Chaloupe D'Or for meet-up and carb-loading. Well, the first part of that went OK.....

Up early, train east from Cosham at 8.05, first change at Brighton and second at Ashford, made Dover on time at noon. Plenty of time to make the 1315 check-in deadline for the 1400 ferry. In view of @mmmmartin's scathing assessment of the DFDS catering, I decided to eat in Dover, and went to the Dickens Corner cafe, who did a fine job for us on Adam's overnighter down there. Too late for the (excellent) breakfast, decided to have a Ploughman's lunch. Portion was positively Normand in size- will add the photo from my phone later. Edit: here it is...I really wasn't joking about the size, was I?
14118149842_6cb655268a.jpg

Decent price, tasted great, served quick. Trip round to the Eastern Docks was straightforward enough, no problems getting around and checking in. The journey itself was pretty uneventful, and self and fellow cyclists (there were quite a few) were first off, and I was on the way east by 5.25. I already had Martin's coastal route option loaded up on the Garmin, and the first part was straightforward enough (a couple of wrong turns due to machine or operator error but nothing major). Nice scenery, quiet roads, was making good time. Probably wouldn't make the 1855 train, but plenty of time for the 1955. Well, there was, until I reached the bridge.....What the photo doesn't show, and neither Martin nor the other people who've put that on routes may have been aware of (Martin certainly wasn't), is that it's raised to allow ships to pass through that section of the canal. And it was raised when I got there. I waited, I waited....no ships in view, no indication of when it might be lowered again. Must have been there fifteen or twenty minutes before I decided to turn back. That meant riding four miles back along the breakwater, there were no alternative options, then back round inland. If I'd taken the inland route to start with, if the bridge had been down, if I'd turned back quicker…I'd have made the train. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: turn inland after the first stretch. You still get some of the pretty bits of the coastline, the inland roads were OK and you don't have to worry about the bridge). EDIT: And there are at least two more similar bridges further along, I had the second one in the first link I put up....!

After that, the rest of the ride to De Panne was quick and straightforward, roads quiet and weather perfect for it, but I'd lost the chance to make the 1955 train. The French drivers gave plenty of room, and there weren't that many of them anyway. I crossed the border into Vlaanderen (didn't take a photo of the yellow sign, should have...) at dead on 8. De Panne station reached ten minutes later. Got ticket from machine, no bike ticket required as I'd brought Chutney the folding rocket. My perusal of the Belgian Rail website had shown the faster option to get to Brussels was to change for the express service at Gent, but the timetables on the station didn't seem to mention that. Nice fluent-English man in the ticket office confirmed the express was both running and quicker. Forty-odd minutes later, on the train. Chutney went into a handy nook at the end of a carriage (didn't seem to be any luggage storage except above seats), nice fluent-English lady conductor was happy with that. Got to Gent on time, and the wait for the express was supposed to be fifteen minutes. You guessed it, it was late. Late enough to mean the speed advantage of fewer stops was wiped out, and then some. SMS exchange with Els to let her know I'd be late and to confirm that L'Chaloupe would still be serving food.

Finally got into Brussels at 11.15. All thoughts of going to the Atomium abandoned, made my way to the Grand Place (one word: wow!) and L'Chaloupe, where everyone else had of course arrived. Els was outside, and I requested that she advise the waiting group that I'd had an absolute mare of a time and really wasn't in the mood for any mickey-taking. Thankfully for me, everyone was understanding and sympathetic, and my mood quickly improved. The Rijsttaart came highly recommended, and justly so. Just what I needed after that day- missed dinner on account of all of that....

Despite my tardiness, we were ready to go on time. A short walk to get off the Grand Place, the easiest way to get through the crowds and then we were on our way. David @BalkanExpress expertly lead the way out of town before heading home. It was indeed nippy, but by heck that was good riding...Belgian cycle lanes are, for the most part, thoroughly sensible and well designed things, unlike, oh, 99.99% or so of the British equivalent. No bits of blue/red paint on the side of the road with potholes and manhole covers here, oh no. Smooth, wide, much of it by canals and with gorgeous views. Not fond of the very steep bridges or the cobblestones, but you can't have everything. Cycle lanes/paths are actually mandatory in Belgium where indicated- it never felt like an imposition because they were so good. You just wouldn't want to use the road....

And then on to the extraordinary hospitality provided by the Vandevelde family. Garmin battery had suffered in the cold, so it went in the rucksack for a recharge (Hindsight Improvement Opportunities- work out how to do this on Chutney while actually being able to see it, and actually let the thing fully charge next time). And we, as that little lot on the table should make clear, were amply recharged too. Very well fed and extra clothing donned- not withstanding our pace, I was feeling the chill- we said our goodbyes and went on our way at 4.30 or so.

The sun rose. The mist cleared. The world's loudest duck did a Donington-level soundcheck. A bottle went into a canal. Stunning scenery, and kangaroos, now clearly visible. Plenty of cyclists went out for a morning spin. I tightened up the front lights two dozen times (or it felt like it). Brugge was as peachy as Brussels, though I'd tear up every one of those cobblestones. Chutney rattles more than any of my other bikes (the hinges and the long cables see to that), and the noise was horrendous, let alone the vibrations.

The final hop to Ostend was straightforward, and the nosh at Caruso was excellent. €15 well spent. Our party dissipated in search of trams and trains, and I said my farewells to the sisters not long after 10.30. Dunkerque was forty or so miles. Check-in for the ferry by 1515. Should have been simple enough. Should have been......

The first part went well enough, the odd large bank of sand on the coastal path notwithstanding- some I resorted to walking. I was indeed hurtling down at a great rate of knots when Team Tram passed me. Then, for some inexplicable reason I decided to argue with a tram line, and lost, hurtling down in the wrong direction. Yup, I didn't want to make that an FNRttK tradition, but I did. Banged knee, nicely scraped up right hand, equally scraped up right thigh. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: Just stay away from tramlines, mmmkay?). A helpful local pointed out in Dutch where I should have been riding...yes, thanks for that. Picked myself up, got on with it. Still time in hand, still made decent progress, despite the constant 'ouch'. Until I reached De Panne, where I ended up going round and round in circles eight or nine times. Road signs not as clear as they could be, I didn't ask for directions, though I had printed the route to Dunkerque I didn't consult it, and I hadn't loaded the route on the Garmin (even if I was in the wrong place, I could have used it to get back on course), because I was worried about draining the battery again. Just trying to use it to see where I was, as so often, wasn't much use. I could have used the phone, but for its recent and very annoying sporadic issue of deciding it hasn't got a SIM card. No working SIM, no data connection and no map. Which was a real pain as in so many respects it's a better navigation aid than the Garmin. I thought to myself- I could get a bus to Dunkerque if need be, there's bound to be a taxi somewhere...but the buses were infrequent and unhelpfully scheduled, and I never saw a taxi. So on I pressed.

Got out of De Panne, stayed on course to Dunkerque, still had enough time…then Adventures In Misnavigation Round Two. There were four or five ways I could have gone that didn't involve multiple u-turns, dead ends, 90km/h roads and getting more and more stressed out, not to mention late for the ferry. I did none of those. And no, dear reader, I did not consult those maps, did not ask a local, and the mobile was again being unhelpful when I wanted to use it to find where I was. I tried loading a route on the Garmin, and it fell over. Oh, and as it was clearly one of those days, I had a chain drop that knotted itself around the derailleur and I nearly had a clipless moment, both in the middle of junctions. Eventually, I made the port just before four. If only I'd taken one or neither of those detours, if I had consulted a map, if.....I'd have made the ferry. As it was, far too late to get on the 4pm sailing. What should have been a forty mile ride in less than four hours had been fifty-five in five. Strava link for the whole ride since Brussels here. No cafe, only food available in vending machines, and a long wait...At least I was able to transfer to the six o'clock sailing and get some first aid....

I was The Cyclist on this sailing. Got a bit of a nap, had a passable enough Caesar salad (thought they couldn't ruin that, was thankfully right). Was the last person off the ferry, and just made Dover station in time for the next train north. I thought that there was no chance of getting home along the coast (Southern's last train to Brighton's about 2230!), so opted to stump up the forty-odd quid for a via-London one and stayed on the HS1 service until St Pancras. The short hop to Waterloo and I was in time for the fast service home, back at about 11pm (only an hour or so later than I would have been if I'd made the earlier sailing and trains not via London).

Wounds and stiffness will heal quick enough, and I will be in shape for this Friday night. And I will definitely be back for this one next year. Learning opportunities will be taken. Tramlines will be avoided.The Atomium will be photographed. More fun, less pain...

Thanks everyone. A fantastic day/night out, even with all those caveats, cuts and bruises.

PS:
For your viewing and listening pleasure (well, if you like industrial/EBM), one of my favourite Belgian works of art, in a promotional video featuring my favourite piece of Belgian architecture and featuring some Magritte-style odd symbolism.

PPS: Shot by a Dutchman. Never mind....

Last edited:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
This was a fantastic ride in many aspects.

I enjoyed a nice Saturday in London and jumped on the the Eurostar at 7pm, arriving Brussels 22pm.
IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

I had a ridiculously cheap London-Cologne ticket (55 Euros or 45 quid) from Deutsche Bahn and only did the first part of the journey. On the train, I met an Estonian who manages a pub in Green Park, fell out with his French girlfriend and was on a last-minute escape to Brussels.

I have been in Bruxelles numerous times on business trips but embarrasingly, have to admit that I never made it to the Grand Place, which blew me away. Nothing against HPC and Wellington Arch, but location wise the Flemish Night Ride's start beats everything.

IMG_1514.jpg

We met up in a nice restaurant which served a speciality unkown in England: white asparagus. I had a portion before heading off.

We were a group of eight, including three Brompton riders.
IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

The half-way stop can't be praised enough.

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Bruges is another absolutely stunning jewel of a city.
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

@mmmmartin , @AKA Bob and I then jumped on what is the world's longest tram line, which brought us to @AKA Bob 's car. It was interesting to see how some people's characters change in the moment they are sitting behind a steering wheel, but also very instructive (I learned a ****load of new curses...).

This ride really deserves a re-run next year. Here's the track. Alternatively, one could ride from Brussels straight to Dunkirk, which is a tad longer (94 miles in total), but makes the journey back to Blighty easier and would be the first Friday Night Ride going through two countries.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
My ride report...
The very short version....
Act 1: Dunkerque to De Panne (and hence Brussels): Eeerk! Grr! Hrmph!
Act 2: Brussels to Ostend: Wow! Yay! Flanderstastic!
Act 3: Ostend to Dunkerque: Ouch! F****! F****! (and lots more F***!s).

The very long version....
Warning: This part contains numerous examples of incidents of which the reader may think 'I wouldn't have done that', or 'why didn't he do that?'…hindsight's very straightforward, and so is armchair criticism. If just a few of those things hadn't happened the whole ride sandwich would have been good as the lovely filling. No repeated loops of coastal towns like a really dull Euro adaptation of Groundhog Day, no lengthy stretches on fast roads, and most importantly no crashes and no missed ferry...But they all did. It was A Learning Opportunity. And dear reader, please don't take An Opportunity To Tell Me What I Should Have Done, because I've had plenty of time to think those over and I will do rather better next time. Ta :thanks:

In getting to Brussels, I went for the cheapskate less unreasonably priced option- trains along the coast via Brighton and Ashford Itsnotinternational to Dover, DFDS to Dunkirk, ride to De Panne. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: go for HS1 and/or Eurostar or various other more expensive but less less tedious choices). The Plan, before it went awry, was (version one) train as far as Aalst or thereabouts and ride into Brussels to make the ride mileage up to the ton, modified in version two due to tight timings to train all the way into Brussels, then a short loop out to the Atomium for a photo or two before back to L'Chaloupe D'Or for meet-up and carb-loading. Well, the first part of that went OK.....

Up early, train east from Cosham at 8.05, first change at Brighton and second at Ashford, made Dover on time at noon. Plenty of time to make the 1315 check-in deadline for the 1400 ferry. In view of @mmmmartin's scathing assessment of the DFDS catering, I decided to eat in Dover, and went to the Dickens Corner cafe, who did a fine job for us on Adam's overnighter down there. Too late for the (excellent) breakfast, decided to have a Ploughman's lunch. Portion was positively Normand in size- will add the photo from my phone later. Decent price, tasted great, served quick. Trip round to the Eastern Docks was straightforward enough, no problems getting around and checking in. The journey itself was pretty uneventful, and self and fellow cyclists (there were quite a few) were first off, and I was on the way east by 5.25. I already had Martin's coastal route option loaded up on the Garmin, and the first part was straightforward enough (a couple of wrong turns due to machine or operator error but nothing major). Nice scenery, quiet roads, was making good time. Probably wouldn't make the 1855 train, but plenty of time for the 1955. Well, there was, until I reached the bridge.....What the photo doesn't show, and neither Martin nor the other people who've put that on routes may have been aware of (Martin certainly wasn't), is that it's raised to allow ships to pass through that section of the canal. And it was raised when I got there. I waited, I waited....no ships in view, no indication of when it might be lowered again. Must have been there fifteen or twenty minutes before I decided to turn back. That meant riding four miles back along the breakwater, there were no alternative options, then back round inland. If I'd taken the inland route to start with, if the bridge had been down, if I'd turned back quicker…I'd have made the train. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: turn inland after the first stretch. You still get some of the pretty bits of the coastline, the inland roads were OK and you don't have to worry about the bridge).

After that, the rest of the ride to De Panne was quick and straightforward, roads quiet and weather perfect for it, but I'd lost the chance to make the 1955 train. The French drivers gave plenty of room, and there weren't that many of them anyway. I crossed the border into Vlaanderen (didn't take a photo of the yellow sign, should have...) at dead on 8. De Panne station reached ten minutes later. Got ticket from machine, no bike ticket required as I'd brought Chutney the folding rocket. My perusal of the Belgian Rail website had shown the faster option to get to Brussels was to change for the express service at Gent, but the timetables on the station didn't seem to mention that. Nice fluent-English man in the ticket office confirmed the express was both running and quicker. Forty-odd minutes later, on the train. Chutney went into a handy nook at the end of a carriage (didn't seem to be any luggage storage except above seats), nice fluent-English lady conductor was happy with that. Got to Gent on time, and the wait for the express was supposed to be fifteen minutes. You guessed it, it was late. Late enough to mean the speed advantage of fewer stops was wiped out, and then some. SMS exchange with Els to let her know I'd be late and to confirm that L'Chaloupe would still be serving food.

Finally got into Brussels at 11.15. All thoughts of going to the Atomium abandoned, made my way to the Grand Place (one word: wow!) and L'Chaloupe, where everyone else had of course arrived. Els was outside, and I requested that she advise the waiting group that I'd had an absolute mare of a time and really wasn't in the mood for any mickey-taking. Thankfully for me, everyone was understanding and sympathetic, and my mood quickly improved. The Rijsttaart came highly recommended, and justly so. Just what I needed after that day- missed dinner on account of all of that....

Despite my tardiness, we were ready to go on time. A short walk to get off the Grand Place, the easiest way to get through the crowds and then we were on our way. David @BalkanExpress expertly lead the way out of town before heading home. It was indeed nippy, but by heck that was good riding...Belgian cycle lanes are, for the most part, thoroughly sensible and well designed things, unlike, oh, 99.99% or so of the British equivalent. No bits of blue/red paint on the side of the road with potholes and manhole covers here, oh no. Smooth, wide, much of it by canals and with gorgeous views. Not fond of the very steep bridges or the cobblestones, but you can't have everything. Cycle lanes/paths are actually mandatory in Belgium where indicated- it never felt like an imposition because they were so good. You just wouldn't want to use the road....

And then on to the extraordinary hospitality provided by the Vandevelde family. Garmin battery had suffered in the cold, so it went in the rucksack for a recharge (Hindsight Improvement Opportunities- work out how to do this on Chutney while actually being able to see it, and actually let the thing fully charge next time). And we, as that little lot on the table should make clear, were amply recharged too. Very well fed and extra clothing donned- not withstanding our pace, I was feeling the chill- we said our goodbyes and went on our way at 4.30 or so.

The sun rose. The mist cleared. The world's loudest duck did a Donington-level soundcheck. A bottle went into a canal. Stunning scenery, and kangaroos, now clearly visible. Plenty of cyclists went out for a morning spin. I tightened up the front lights two dozen times (or it felt like it). Brugge was as peachy as Brussels, though I'd tear up every one of those cobblestones. Chutney rattles more than any of my other bikes (the hinges and the long cables see to that), and the noise was horrendous, let alone the vibrations.

The final hop to Ostend was straightforward, and the nosh at Caruso was excellent. €15 well spent. Our party dissipated in search of trams and trains, and I said my farewells to the sisters not long after 10.30. Ostend was forty or so miles. Check-in for the ferry by 1515. Should have been simple enough. Should have been......

The first part went well enough, the odd large bank of sand on the coastal path notwithstanding- some I resorted to walking. I was indeed hurtling down at a great rate of knots when Team Tram passed me. Then, for some inexplicable reason I decided to argue with a tram line, and lost, hurtling down in the wrong direction. Yup, I didn't want to make that an FNRttK tradition, but I did. Banged knee, nicely scraped up right hand, equally scraped up right thigh. (Hindsight Learning Opportunity: Just stay away from tramlines, mmmkay?). A helpful local pointed out in Dutch where I should have been riding...yes, thanks for that. Picked myself up, got on with it. Still time in hand, still made decent progress, despite the constant 'ouch'. Until I reached De Panne, where I ended up going round and round in circles eight or nine times. Road signs not as clear as they could be, I didn't ask for directions, though I had printed the route to Dunkerque I didn't consult it, and I hadn't loaded the route on the Garmin (even if I was in the wrong place, I could have used it to get back on course), because I was worried about draining the battery again. Just trying to use it to see where I was, as so often, wasn't much use. I could have used the phone, but for its recent and very annoying sporadic issue of deciding it hasn't got a SIM card. No working SIM, no data connection and no map. Which was a real pain as in so many respects it's a better navigation aid than the Garmin. I thought to myself- I could get a bus to Dunkerque if need be, there's bound to be a taxi somewhere...but the buses were infrequent and unhelpfully scheduled, and I never saw a taxi. So on I pressed.

Got out of De Panne, stayed on course to Dunkerque, still had enough time…then Adventures In Misnavigation Round Two. There were four or five ways I could have gone that didn't involve multiple u-turns, dead ends, 90km/h roads and getting more and more stressed out, not to mention late for the ferry. I did none of those. And no, dear reader, I did not consult those maps, did not ask a local, and the mobile was again being unhelpful when I wanted to use it to find where I was. I tried loading a route on the Garmin, and it fell over. Oh, and as it was clearly one of those days, I had a chain drop that knotted itself around the derailleur and I nearly had a clipless moment, both in the middle of junctions. Eventually, I made the port just before four. If only I'd taken one or neither of those detours, if I had consulted a map, if.....I'd have made the ferry. As it was, far too late to get on the 4pm sailing. What should have been a forty mile ride in less than four hours had been fifty-five in five. Strava link for the whole ride since Brussels here. No cafe, only food available in vending machines, and a long wait...At least I was able to transfer to the six o'clock sailing and get some first aid....

I was The Cyclist on this sailing. Got a bit of a nap, had a passable enough Caesar salad (thought they couldn't ruin that, was thankfully right). Was the last person off the ferry, and just made Dover station in time for the next train north. I thought that there was no chance of getting home along the coast (Southern's last train to Brighton's about 2230!), so opted to stump up the forty-odd quid for a via-London one and stayed on the HS1 service until St Pancras. The short hop to Waterloo and I was in time for the fast service home, back at about 11pm (only an hour or so later than I would have been if I'd made the earlier sailing and trains not via London).

Wounds and stiffness will heal quick enough, and I will be in shape for this Friday night. And I will definitely be back for this one next year. Learning opportunities will be taken. Tramlines will be avoided.The Atomium will be photographed. More fun, less pain...

Thanks everyone. A fantastic day/night out, even with all those caveats, cuts and bruises.

PS:
For your viewing and listening pleasure (well, if you like industrial/EBM), one of my favourite Belgian works of art, in a promotional video featuring my favourite piece of Belgian architecture and featuring some Magritte-style odd symbolism.

PPS: Shot by a Dutchman. Never mind....

Ouch! Glad to hear that you made it home in one piece, despite all this misfortune.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Excellent account by @StuAff displaying highest level of determination in the face of adversity, chapeau
also
*reads two above posts*
*goes off to look at websites selling folding bikes*
*thinks about being on the first FRNttC to visit two countries*
*looks at the words "94 miles in total" and goes for lie down in a darkened room to regain senses*

[

PPS: Shot by a Dutchman. Never mind....[/QUOTE]

The other building featured is the "old" Berlaymont building: it has undergone a considerable face lift since the video was shot.

To add to the whole industrial theme, the Golden Chaloupe is about 100 metres from the former office of "Les Disques du Crepuscule"

Top Bottom