FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For your viewing and listening pleasure (well, if you like industrial/EBM), one of my favourite Belgian works of art, in a promotional video featuring my favourite piece of Belgian architecture and featuring some Magritte-style odd symbolism.

PPS: Shot by a Dutchman. Never mind....

The other building featured is the "old" Berlaymont building: it has undergone a considerable face lift since the video was shot.

To add to the whole industrial theme, the Golden Chaloupe is about 100 metres from the former office of "Les Disques du Crepuscule"

I definitely wasn't thinking of that one! :smile:

Last edited:

StuAff

Have been looking at Eurostar.com...they now sell tickets to and from any UK station, and also do tickets from any Belgian station via Brussels (these were news to me at least). Tickets each way as low as £63. And rather faster than the ferry options.....

StuAff

It's a small (digital) world. Lot of Strava segments on the Brussels-Ghent-Oostende-Dunkerque ride, only a couple for Dunkerque-De Panne, including one on the Route Des Dunes (road east from the port). My time for the 2.5 miles was 12:51, average 11.5 mph. The KOM: 5:53, average 25.0 mph. Take a bow, @zigzag!

Have been looking at Eurostar.com...they now sell tickets to and from any UK station, and also do tickets from any Belgian station via Brussels (these were news to me at least). Tickets each way as low as £63. And rather faster than the ferry options.....

The issue here is the size of the bike. If it folds down to less than 85 CM on it's longest dimension you are on and laughing. Bigger than that and it's check in at 20 quid each way in advance

StuAff

The issue here is the size of the bike. If it folds down to less than 85 CM on it's longest dimension you are on and laughing. Bigger than that and it's check in at 20 quid each way in advance
Indeed so. Chutney is easily small enough to do that, though having to bag it would be a bother (I do have a Dahon bag, but it's not the smallest or lightest thing, have a CTC clear bag as well but that's still fairly bulky). Big bike option is pricey, but would have advantages....

StuAff

Excellent account by @StuAff displaying highest level of determination in the face of adversity, chapeau
also
*reads two above posts*
*goes off to look at websites selling folding bikes*
*thinks about being on the first FRNttC to visit two countries*
*looks at the words "94 miles in total" and goes for lie down in a darkened room to regain senses*
Compared to Jensie, or Johnny Hoogerland, let alone Geraint Thomas completing the TdF with a fractured pelvis...that was nothing, really.
94 miles? 'Tis nothing for a hardened audax type, surely. They do have bus shelters on the continent...

StuAff

This ride really deserves a re-run next year. Here's the track. Alternatively, one could ride from Brussels straight to Dunkirk, which is a tad longer (94 miles in total), but makes the journey back to Blighty easier and would be the first Friday Night Ride going through two countries.

94 miles seems a bit short....the shortest I could get with the mapping sites I tried was 109 with Bikehike, Google, Mapmyride & Ride with GPS all seem to insist on taking something equivalent to our route as far as Brugge, then picking up the coastal route at De Panne, giving about 120.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
Next year is a long time. Autumn in Antwerp anyone? Another destination of a certain transport company for those of diminished wheels and wallets :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Envious. Envious. Envious. (Though Barcelona wasn't bad...)

Bruges is one of our favourite cities; Ghent comes close. Our first cycling holiday ever was in Flanders - the really long day from Bruges to Ghent was the centrepiece. Since then we've gone back several times, including starting our long ride to Spain from De Panne.

For a two-country FNR, if you hoick a right at Bruges you can follow another canal to Sluis, in the Netherlands - although getting away from there might be a challenge. Alternatively, I gather there's a 40-mile 4-country loop around Lake Constance...

94 miles seems a bit short....the shortest I could get with the mapping sites I tried was 109 with Bikehike, Google, Mapmyride & Ride with GPS all seem to insist on taking something equivalent to our route as far as Brugge, then picking up the coastal route at De Panne, giving about 120.

Googlemaps when set to walk rather than cycle comes up at around 150 km. A few tweeks to avoid obvious footpaths (and pass De Panne so I can bail out) brings you in at just under 160 . I am not convinced that this is much shorter than Ostend and then down the coast, but I have an open mind.

Flandrienne

We had a good time cycling from Brussels to Ostend , we got all safe and sound around the breakfast table at Caruso ! Thanks for the good teamwork, see you perhaps on the next satnightridettc !? :smile:

Attachments

• DSCN5401.JPG
    DSCN5401.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN5406.JPG
    DSCN5406.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN5415.JPG
    DSCN5415.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN5413.JPG
    DSCN5413.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 47

StuAff

Googlemaps when set to walk rather than cycle comes up at around 150 km. A few tweeks to avoid obvious footpaths (and pass De Panne so I can bail out) brings you in at just under 160 . I am not convinced that this is much shorter than Ostend and then down the coast, but I have an open mind.
Yes, I get the impression that the Google Maps cycle directions are very much a work in progress. With not much in the way of progress. My ride should have been about 200km all in, I added 25 km or so with all the navigation fails...

Top Bottom