Food that makes you gag!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

theclaud said:
Are you French? The French seem to regard them as cattle food. But it's one of the most distinctively-flavoured of all the root vegetables - sweet, nutty, and more fragrant than Mary Archer.

Agreed. They were the staple vegetable in the English diet prior to the potato.

When I asked for them for Christmas, the cook and Mme HF looked at me as if I had pooed on the table.

yoyo

I adore liver, rice pudding, marmite and many pet hates.

Food that makes me really gag is cucumber, melon, bananas.

Flyingfox

..anything cooked in butter..the smell is repulsive
..lamb..a childhood hangup from having lunch at Grandma's
..carrots..I'm the only person I know who got expelled from school dinners for refusing to eat them. They wouldn't let me leave the table until I had eaten them - I didn't so was never allowed to have school dinners again and I was only 7. ;)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Bananas - Can't stand the texture; dont mind the taste.
Courgettes - Taste like rancid pond water.
Vinegar - The smell alone makes me want to heave.

And I'm firmly in the camp that detests Mayo.. trouble is it makes it really really difficult to buy any pre-made sandwiches in garages/service stops... Even bacon butties get dolloped with the sh1te.. should be illegal.

U

User482

Kestevan said:
And I'm firmly in the camp that detests Mayo.. trouble is it makes it really really difficult to buy any pre-made sandwiches in garages/service stops... Even bacon butties get dolloped with the sh1te.. should be illegal.

Exactly - it's not as if I mind other people eating mayo, I'd just like the choice not to.

bonj2

If anyone wants to experience true rankness - olive oil. The taste of it is pretty benign when it's just on salads, in dishes, etc. but try drinking it! euggh xx(xx(:blush: it tastes horrible

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I will eat anything edible, except tripe. But even then, if it's hidden in a decent tasting sauce, I'll have a go. Love liver, though. Don't like raw celery, come to think of it. Other than that, I love food. :blush::laugh:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj said:
If anyone wants to experience true rankness - olive oil. The taste of it is pretty benign when it's just on salads, in dishes, etc. but try drinking it! euggh xx(xx(:laugh: it tastes horrible

I hate to tell you this but you're not meant to drink it! :blush: Try drinking any other oil - it won't be much more fun, I can tell you. Even professional olive oil tasters don't drink the stuff...

I think you are right about the cooking though. The only things I have encountered that I hated were down to bad cooking or their just being a stupid idea in the first place (like the andouillettes mentioned before - I never want to even think about trying them). I remember the horrible smell of cheap boiled lamb mince and onions from when we were particularly poor as a young kid - indeed most of the things we had to eat at that time were not great.

[don't read on if you are at all revolted by bad food stories!]

Then at school, the sausages that squirted cheap rancid fat half way across the room when you stuck a fork in them, and were so vile that you had to cover them in marmalade and swallow the piece without them touching your tongue... in fact the food was so bad there people used to regularly vomit. One school matron was an evil bastard who used to try to make kids eat the vomit if they were sick...

Now that was something I wouldn't want to try ever again. :sad:

Dormouse

I can't stand liver, even the smell of it cooking makes my stomach turn. Brussel sprouts used to have the same effect when I was a child but now I quite like them.

I also steer clear of bread and butter pudding, tripe and kidneys.

Secondary school food was also dismal, the desiccated cheese pie sticks in my memory. We used to soak it in tomato ketchup to mask the taste and soften it up a bit, that is when there was any ketchup.

marooncat

Uncle Mort said:
Cadbury's Smash - I can't swallow it, it's something about the texture.

Me to with Smadh. When I was about 7 my mum was admitted to hospital for about 10 days. My "typical farmer" dad tried to feed me and my wee sister and one night produced something and Smash. I can not remember what the something was (but prob we ate it) but I do remember the two of us refusing to eat this white lumpy mush and him getting very annoyed with us.

He then realised that he could tie in the evening visiting hours with a trip to the chippy so we basically lived off fish and chips for the rest of the time :blush:. When mum was discharged she started teaching me and sister how to cook!!

Apart from that there is some food I like more than others, but nothing much I would not force down if needbe to be polite. Mind you the sushi whale in Iceland was a bit OTT....

Top Bottom