For what reason(s) did you give your children their names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Inspired by Wigsie naming one of his littluns arfer a Patrick Swayzee character.
How did you name yours.

My boy, Daniel Rhys

Daniel after my best mate at the time who died of a drug overdose just before jnr was born :sad:
Rhys after the hero in the first Terminator movie, except we changed to the Welsh spelling to keep Grandma happy ;)

My new one who is due to make an appreance into this world in January we havent thought of first names yet, but middle names will be

Boy ****** John Brian after my father and 'er indoors father
Girl ****** Deleyse Valerie after 'er indoors mother and my mother

Oh yes, I was named named Ian after a very good friend of my old pops Ian Campbell, a famous Wrestler in the 50's and 60's.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Because we both liked them, no other reason

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's true however it has to be said I am a stubborn bugger and would not be swayed by families trying to stick their nose in and tell us what we should do.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've got some funny ones for you. My wife's a children's nurse and she tells me some on the names of the kids she comes in to contact with. One woman called her child down by shouting (and I'll try to spell it phonetically as she shouted it) "Why-Vorner" and my wife wondered who she was calling as the girl she'd gone to see was called Yvonne. the mother had seen the name and assumed that's how it was pronounced! Then there are Red and Blue (girl and boy twins), Chlamydia(!), Aristotle(!) and several Ronaldos.

ChrisKH

Guru
Both me and Mrs KH are decidedly conservative about names and stuck with Old and New Testament. If we had girls we had squillions of possible names and would have settled with Rebecca (Jewish great grandmother's name, Becky for short) if either of our kids had been a girl. But it was not to be.

Benjamin Edward Nicholas (BEN)

So, no. 1 was named Benjamin (my choice as have always liked the name and also an indicator of his Jewish roots, although neither are Jewish by religion) Edward (Great Grandfather, father's side), Nicholas (Grandfather, mother's side and also because he was born close to the Saint's day)

Nicholas Samuel (Nicky)

Nicholas ( as above plus aunt's name is Samantha Nicola). Samuel (aunt called Samantha Nicola & Mrs KH liked the name Samuel).

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
pedantic b@st@rds the lot of you ;)

Two girls, both have first names from classical Greek period, second names are flowers that also are names used elsewhere in the family.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
ianrauk said:
Rhys after the hero in the first Terminator movie, except we changed to the Welsh spelling to keep Grandma happy :biggrin:

;):laugh::sad::laugh: I always wanted to call my first son Reese after the Terminator movie, That or Connor after Highlander!

Some friends of ours have two boys Rhys and Connor and they are both naughty little buggers so we changed our minds. I had always planned on having my fathers name involved in there somewhere (Nicholas) too then I married my wife and my step son's name is Nick so that was one box ticked.

We then had our first child together and we called him Finley Roy. Roy was my grandfathers name and we were stuck on boys names until I saw an old Finley Quaye CD in a box and we settled on that. Finley is supposed to mean White (or pale) warrior which pleased the in laws as they are all old generation Afrikaans and a little racist! (this was not our intention)

As Ian said, We named Bodhi (pronounced Bow-Dee) after the Patrick Swayze character in Point Break, we looked it up and it is Sanskrit for "awakening" or "enlightenment". His middle name was Henry (my other grandfathers name) who was a lovely man and alongside my other granfather hero's of mine growing up.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
User1314 said:
So my first son has a very simple anglo/indian name of just three letters. Begins with J. Sounds like J. Hehehe. Can't go wrong with that.

My Nephew is called Jai, my sister inlaw wanted Vijay and my brother was keen initially as he loves the golfer but eventually they settled on Jai.

Top Bottom