For what reason(s) did you give your children their names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I should add for my first born that the Hebrew Benjamin stands for
Son born in the south/Son of my old age, both of which were appropriate as I'm a codger (as was Mrs KH at 37) and he was born down south in Southend Hospital.

AllThatJazz!

Delftse Post said:
Blimey. I've encountered a couple of Candidas and that was bad enough.

Oh .. I've taught the Candida in the past. You have no idea what this did to that Pastoral lesson plan on ... errr. a "delicate subject":ohmy:

I once taught a child with the surname of "Hamerslag" .. in Liverpool and had Ian Michael Smilley and Ian Mitchell Andrew Pratt in the same class. I cannot describe what that was like to someone as warped as me when using initials with those surnames ,,, I had to really control myself as images of "Rowan Atkinson's headmaster sketch" seemed to well up in my mind's eye! Sorry.

I think parents should consider how christian and surnames work. Kids can be cruel as that "boy named Sue" discovered.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Eldest is Jess and her younger brother is Tom.

We agreed on Tom as I had a great uncle of that name who was a bit of a card and lived to a ripe age. For a girl SWMBO ruled out my suggestions of Siobhan or Rhinnon on basis that neither of us are Irish or Welsh. Compromised on Jessica after a then Guardian column called Jessica's diary describing the world viewed from a middle class playpen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Samuel because Rachel didn't suit a boy and he didn't look like a Joseph.
Bethany; no way was she either a boy nor a Rachel either, she was born in West Wales but we didn't want Bethan long term, we wanted something biblical and like the story of the family of Bethany.

U

User169

Daughter no. 1

SuperStock_1009-6003.jpg

Daughter no. 2

Philippa-of-Hainault.jpg

U

User169

User1314 said:
Is No 2 Boadicea?

:biggrin:No, although that would be quite a name. The picture shows a Queen consort of England from the 14thC.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
ianrauk said:
Girl ****** Deleyse Valerie after 'er indoors mother and my father
Your father is Valerie?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We named our children because we didn't really want to call them No.1, and No.2. So we went for Michael and Katherine.

orienteer

My wife being Japanese, we wanted names to suit both English and Japanese. So Conan and Naomi.

Conan (an Irish name, as in Arthur Conan Doyle) is not a usual name in Japan, but there is a cartoon character called Konan the Future Boy. Naomi is a Japanese name, though pronounced Nah-oh-me rather than the English way Nay-oh-me.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
we didn't "really" name our 3 girls after anyone in particular, we just used names we liked...

Bethany Caitlin = i chose these. Caitlin could possibly be inspired by the woman in airwolf ???

Leah Jessica = the wife did this one.

Emily Edith = i like Emily cos i like the nick name "Emmy" but i don't like the name Emma. Edith is from the wife's Nana who died just before Emmy was born. Emmy don't like it and cries if you use it :sad:

i was named after the guy from the TV series "the champions"...

TheChampionsOpening.jpg

the one in the middle is called "Craig", just like me. my middle name "Robert" is from my dad.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
We called our daughter Róisín Gabrielle. Róisín means 'little rose' in Gaelic and she is named after her late great grandma Rose. Gabrielle is a name we liked and it gives her the same initials as her grandad.

Top Bottom