Forum ride - Central Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

:becool:Hoots!:biggrin:

PFS success started it

To recap: A fair few of us agree that a forum meet up should be within the realms of possibility in Central Scotland. 100km would be a good target to aim for and there are some suggested routes here:

Melvil's idea

The pace would be between 13 - 18mph with plenty of cakestops and chinwags. A loop would be most practical for most of us.

Discuss...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Melvil's idea is no longer available :biggrin:

I'd be up for it, so long as me and my bike could cadge a lift to and from the meetup. I'd prefer a Sunday too, if possible - that fits in slightly better with my childcare arrangements.

10/10 for difficulty! :biggrin: I'm not sure about that one!

I might be up for something a little easier, although transport might be an issue (not many of us from Glasgow).

When are we talking about doing this? Would this be next summer, or in the depth of winter....

Noodley

OK, here's what needs to be sorted out.

First of all;
A date.

Then;
A route.

Then;
A list of those attending.

jassy-x

Melvil said:
Is it this one:

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lenzie_to_Auchterader_Hills_Loop-Cycle-Route-444.html

Modified for Stirling and with possibly the top cut off it?

....thats a good run Melvil...but a real toughy......

...I did that section from Lennoxtown to Fintry and back (over the Campsie hills) a few years ago, and the initial climbs coming from either direction are real gut busters....wouldn't mind doing it again but it might not be everyones idea of fun.....
...as you said we could do a loop from Stirling and back taking in Callander/Killin/Kenmore/Auchterarder etc......customise the ride/distance for whoever is up for it..???.....there are loads of options available..

...obviously we could set up a few get togethers for next Spring/Summer...although I would be well up for squeezing something in this year before winter bites......any thoughts lads..?????

I quite often cycle the Dunfermline-Steelend-Saline-Clackmannan Road and come back via Dollar. (There's also an option to come back via a well surfaced wide rail path which is dead flat) If time permits, after Dollar I then do a loop of Loch Leven and back to Dunfermline. I can't remember how far it is but I'll have the Memory Map files at home if anybody is interested.

HLaB said:
I quite often cycle the Dunfermline-Steelend-Saline-Clackmannan Road and come back via Dollar. (There's also an option to come back via a well surfaced wide rail path which is dead flat) If time permits, after Dollar I then do a loop of Loch Leven and back to Dunfermline. I can't remember how far it is but I'll have the Memory Map files at home if anybody is interested.

Yes, but your opinion doesn't count, as you do 100 milers the day after 55 milers!;) :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Cheeting a wee bit here, as I am still a tad unfit but the Kingdom Cycling Routes in - go on, have a guess :wacko: - look very nice. I've done one which was very pleasant - and not too tough.

So this is really a suggestion of cycling round/in Fife.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Fife also has the advantage that it is easy to get into by train from either coast, as would be Stirling.

Actually I like Melvil suggestion of
Melvil said:
Is it this one:

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lenzie_to_Auchterader_Hills_Loop-Cycle-Route-444.html

Modified for Stirling and with possibly the top cut off it?

The top bit could be left to the those who are really keen while the rest of us take a short cut along the south side of Loch Tay and meet up again in Killin or Kenmore (depending on which way round the loop is cycled)...

gavintc

Guru
I too quite like Melvil's route. It starts on a train line, I could get a train to Croy and finishes in Fife. I personally do not think we need to go that far north to achieve a good ride. If we finish at a station support by trains to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, we make it easy for all to return to home.

Top Bottom