Forum ride - Central Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Having chatted this through with my wife, we are interested to meet in central Scotland for a ride.

Melvil

SWMBO has informed me I'm pre-booked as it were for the 19th :-( but will keep tabs on this thread just in case I become un-booked!

Also, just a thought, could we petition this thread to be a sticky if we have more than one ride together?

Noodley

Melvil said:
Also, just a thought, could we petition this thread to be a sticky if we have more than one ride together?

Good point Melvil. I would be interested in it becoming a regular happening...I might even get some of you slackers along to an audax sometime! ;):eek:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Noodley said:
Good point Melvil. I would be interested in it becoming a regular happening...I might even get some of you slackers along to an audax sometime! ;):eek:

What you have to do is hook us all in with a not-too-hilly first ride or so, just to stoke up the new enthusiasm for longer rides that we commuters have just been exposed to and enjoyed so much.

Then once we start really biting and that bit better able to cope with hills etc, then you can start reeling us :sad:

Noodley

goo_mason said:
What you have to do is hook us all in with a not-too-hilly first ride or so, just to stoke up the new enthusiasm for longer rides that we commuters have just been exposed to and enjoyed so much.

Then once we start really biting and that bit better able to cope with hills etc, then you can start reeling us :eek:

Yes, I know that. ;) Have you not seen the subtlety of my posts so far? :sad:

Seriously, there are loads of easy 100km audax events in Scotland.

goo_mason

Noodley said:
Yes, I know that. ;) Have you not seen the subtlety of my posts so far? :sad:

Seriously, there are loads of easy 100km audax events in Scotland.

I wouldn't rely on me to read the map though; I get lost walking out of a shop and turning the wrong way without noticing..... :eek:

Can you explain audax for those of us not too savvy with the concept ? It's like a mapped ride that you have to complete within a set time, isn't it ?

Noodley

goo_mason said:
Can you explain audax for those of us not too savvy with the concept ? It's like a mapped ride that you have to complete within a set time, isn't it ?

Basic details:

For Calendar events the route is set by someone who provides a set of directions. Everyone sets off at the same time and there is a max and min time limit. The route sheets are easy peasy. I have got more lost on the way to events than I have on audaxes! ;)

They can be ridden at very sociable speeds.

There are also Permanent events, which can be ridden at any time. There are DIY Perms (you make up the route yourself and submit it for validation to a very helpful person called Lucy - well she covers Scotland and N. Englandshire) or you can enter approved Perms which have been previously validated.

It all sounds very complicated, but it's very easy...I think 50km is the minimum distance and there is no limit to the maximum.

alp1950

Hi Guys I'd be interested in joining you although the 19th Oct might be difficult being the end of the October week. But would be up for future rides.

Noodley

alp1950 said:
Hi Guys I'd be interested in joining you although the 19th Oct might be difficult being the end of the October week. But would be up for future rides.

Sounds as if there may be the possibility of developing this...;)

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

'lo

So we're 19th Oct, setting of from Stirling area. 100km or so of not too hilly roadbike friendly terrain. The earlier in the day we set off the better from my POV but clearly we need to ensure everyone (i.e. Noodley) has time to get to the meeting point. Is 9am do-able?

Now we need a route...

I hope it will signify the start of a regular meet-up.

goo_mason

Tetedelacourse said:
'lo

So we're 19th Oct, setting of from Stirling area. 100km or so of not too hilly roadbike friendly terrain. The earlier in the day we set off the better from my POV but clearly we need to ensure everyone (i.e. Noodley) has time to get to the meeting point. Is 9am do-able?

Now we need a route...

I hope it will signify the start of a regular meet-up.

OK - sounds good though I'll defer commenting on the start time until more folks have responded. A couple of questions though - how would someone who doesn't own a car get there (especially for 9am) ? Can we arrange shared transport, or can regular train users who take their bikes supply advice ?

goo_mason said:
OK - sounds good though I'll defer commenting on the start time until more folks have responded. A couple of questions though - how would someone who doesn't own a car get there (especially for 9am) ? Can we arrange shared transport, or can regular train users who take their bikes supply advice ?
With the trains I've took you just turn up with the bike and go. I've only once been refused on Perth train and had to wait to get the next one. If you want more details on bikes on Scotrail check here.

gavintc

Guru
Sunday is a nightmare for the trains. I will need to check, but for example; the first Edinburgh to Glasgow train is at 0800 and the service drops from 4 an hour to 1 an hour. Trains to Stirling will be similarily restricted.

Top Bottom