Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, despite waking-up in Wolverhampton (never a good start), I have made it home, bike is mostly prepped (extra lock for Mr J.) and I just need to load-up the Garmin.
Pasta has been consumed.

Looking forward to a fun day out!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well, despite waking-up in Wolverhampton (never a good start), I have made it home, bike is mostly prepped (extra lock for Mr J.) and I just need to load-up the Garmin.
Pasta has been consumed.

Looking forward to a fun day out!

If you can send me a file I can do the same, otherwise I shall just follow you round.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looks better! :okay:

There are a couple of very tiny differences between your version and mine. I didn't expect you to take the little diversion at Starcross. I just followed the signs when I did it. Ditto near St David's.

Fab Foodie

That looks better! :okay:

There are a couple of very tiny differences between your version and mine. I didn't expect you to take the little diversion at Starcross. I just followed the signs when I did it. Ditto near St David's.

We'll not fall-out over the small details!
All my routes are approximations....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We'll not fall-out over the small details!
All my routes are approximations....
When it took me round a couple of backstreets in Starcross, I just assumed that it must be to avoid a short stretch of busy and/or narrow road. I never went the other way to check.

I have set 2 alarms to make sure that I wake up in time tomorrow. I haven't yet missed a forum ride due to oversleeping, but (given my insomnia) there is always that risk so I set a second alarm to go off on a different device a minute after the first. I have never needed the second alarm, but it stops me worrying about the first alarm, which would make the insomnia worse! :whistle:

Fab Foodie

When it took me round a couple of backstreets in Starcross, I just assumed that it must be to avoid a short stretch of busy and/or narrow road. I never went the other way to check.

I have set 2 alarms to make sure that I wake up in time tomorrow. I haven't yet missed a forum ride due to oversleeping, but (given my insomnia) there is always that risk so I set a second alarm to go off on a different device a minute after the first. I have never needed the second alarm, but it stops me worrying about the first alarm, which would make the insomnia worse! :whistle:

Man after my own heart.
I also like my brekkie to go down before cycling.
Often factory trials start at sparrow-fart, so double alarms are de-riguer. In 39 years I've been late twice!

I'll get the ticker warmed-up by 1030

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colins got lost lol!!!!
Now resynchronised!

Everybody else in the house has already gone to bed so I am going to try to get an earlier night than usual. I'll watch something on Netflix or Prime but try to get to sleep before 02:00 for a change...

I aim to post a quick ride report tomorrow evening before an evening with my family.

Fab Foodie

All cleaned-up and take-away ordered!

What a Joyous day!
Met (for the first time ever) the lovely ColinJ at Crediton Station as planned, well except I then realised I'd left my phone behind, sprinted home (up the hill to get it) and by then was properly warmed-up 🤔

Ian (who also turned-out to be lovely) called to say he was running late and we'd meet at Pathfinder village.

After the initial hard grunt over Whitstone Hill we rendezvouzed with Ian and set-off for more climbing to Haldon forest and the fab descent to lunch at Cockwood.
What I quickly learned is what great riding company these two gents are, that my climbing is improving (it's work in progress) and what a demon descender the mild-mannered Ian is on Devon's precarious narrow lanes!

Lunch didn't disappoint, with diverse conversations befitting men of a certain age - Colin it turns-out is a teller of great tales!

The route up the estuary was blustery with attempted rain. The flatness a pleasant relief from the mornings climbing and a chance to digest our lunches. Plenty of folk on bikes, with dogs, with children, created mobile chicanes.
Ian peeled-off at Exeter whilst Colin and I took one last climb over Pynes Hill and one more beer before home.

46 miles, 3 pints, good riding and bonhomie aplenty.

Thank you Ian and Colin - it was a grand day out!

View attachment 6785 15[/ATTACH]

20230218_104142.jpg

20230218_134531.jpg

Top Bottom