Forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sat 22nd Oct 2022, 52 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hope the weather isn’t doing what it was doing today. The rain in Harrogate was biblical

The same here, but fortunately...

Hebden Bridge forecast 22-10-22.png

:sun::thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll be keeping a beady eye on you lot. I better not catch anyone trying to hitch a tow rope onto my bike! :headshake::tongue:
That's the only way that I would do 25 km/hr uphill!

And there I was, choosing not to point out that that famously long, gentle climb is pretty much directly into the wind for added fun ^_^
The only toughish part of the climb is a few hundred metres at around 8-9% halfway up. The rest of it is more like 2-4% and it averages only 3.4%. That cross/headwind has often been harder to cope with than the gradient. I did the climb on a horribly windy day once and it took me over a hour, more than double my usual time.

I once had such a freak headwind when going in the opposite direction that I had to stand and use my lowest gear to get down to Cragg Vale! :eek:

Domus

Guru
The pros would call it a false flat. ie a hill.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm coming guys!

Got the ok!
Great!

I will bring the Rolls saddle for you and @colly to rock/paper/scissors over!

Is anybody interested in a very skinny saddle (another Selle San Marco, but I don't know what type)? It is lightweight and narrow, no cutout, and would no doubt be comfortable for the right person, but it is too narrow for my sit bones.

I replaced the freehub on my bike ready for this ride. It should be fine but I am going to nip out for a quick test today to make sure.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'll be keeping a beady eye on you lot. I better not catch anyone trying to hitch a tow rope onto my bike! :headshake::tongue:

I think its protocol on a long gentle climb into a headwind for anyone electric powered to sit on the front for the entire climb at a suitable speed to tow the entire bunch up. Same for a tandem going down a long gentle incline. Its just the rules....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think its protocol on a long gentle climb into a headwind for anyone electric powered to sit on the front for the entire climb at a suitable speed to tow the entire bunch up. Same for a tandem going down a long gentle incline. Its just the rules....

If the wind does its usual thing then we would need to form an echelon with @Vantage scraping the verge on the right hand side of the road! :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru
Looking forward to the ride, I hope it's sunny as predicted, the views will be fantastic, so I could be stopping for plenty of sight seeing (or getting my breath back).

I'll be using my 24-34-44 triple with 12-42 cassette, the 24 front and 42 sprocket will be seeing some use if it's steep or I get tired. I'm bringing my GPS along, so you won't need to wait for me.:okay:

Top Bottom