FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham October 10th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, now I'm back from Bognor, I can fill in a few gaps.

Last night's ride showed the FNRttC ethos at its best, with Dellzeqq's mastery of the roads, in rapidly changing the direction of the ride to cope with the road and weather conditions.

Setting off from HPC, the sky overhead was mainly clear, with the waning gibbous moon (86.7% of full if you're interested) hanging high above us and a few twinkling stars to encourage us. Everyone I spoke to, who'd arrived from points east, south and west of London had commented that all afternoon where they were, it had pissed down (I believe that's the technical term). Surprisingly, back home in Luton, we'd had a glorious day of sunshine, which is why, being the permanent optimist, I was thinking the Norwegians had got it wrong with their predictions of 2 cm of rain in Horsham. Following the usual route across Chelsea Bridge towards Clapham Common, the roads were however very wet, showing that lots of rain had recently been falling. And in fact, that was the theme as the ride carried on, with big puddles everywhere. At Mitcham Common, I decided to put on my waterproof trousers and overshoes, just in case..............

Aside from a few cars getting in the way a bit, which got Susie shouting "what's the rush?" at them, generally traffic wasn't an issue. Out in Coulsdon/Chipstead, we could stretch our legs a bit and zoom along on the swoopy downhills, which was nice. Once you get to Portnalls Road, you then start to leave the suburbs behind, meaning you have to switch your lights onto a higher level and concentrate on the road a little bit more due to potholes. It was a shame to lose Frank at the top of Portnalls Road, but he made a wise decision not to risk carrying on. It may be prudent to get a new wheel though! Following the specific risk warning on Reigate Hill, I made my slowest ever descent - I briefly touched 24 mph, but did most of it at 19 mph. Sadly at the bottom Stephen discovered he's got a puncture which ended up needing 2 inner tubes to sort out, as the valve got pulled out on the 1st replacement, and then there was an issue in the CO2 inflater as the cartridges didn't seal, resulting in a freezing fog cloud threatening to envelop us. Luckily we had old skool technology in the form of a pump to get him going again.

Heading out on the little lane past Salfords, we encountered whispers of fog collecting in small grey pools, making the beams of our lights bounce around and then revert to normal, and then we hit Horley, and for once at the A217 junction we went ahead towards Charlwood. I've been out on that road, skirting north of Gatwick quite a few times in daylight, but only once before at night, so it was nice to go down there again. In amongst all the parked residents cars on the left hand side, it was curious to note a number of them with a driver in, lights off and the engine running. Drugs deals or other nefarious arrangements possibly? Who knows? Onwards we pedalled, until all of a sudden we got to the cafe.

20141011_035853.jpg

I deliberately didn't spend too much time inside as I knew I'd feel cold otherwise. Susie spotted that Simon's tyre was slightly flat, which turned out to be a very slow puncture, so I pumped that up. One of the Brompton riders also attended to a flat. At around 4:50 we headed off again. As soon as we passed the sign for Horsham, it started raining. Most of the time it wasn't really wet rain, just constant rain. Simon had wisely decided to re-route by going via the A29. Heading west from Horsham, I'd noticed a number of big lightning flashes south of us, but it wasn't until we stopped by the Audi garage in Five Oaks, that we also heard thunder.

20141011_053949.jpg

The storm was 2 miles away, and above the dark rain clouds got even darker. It wasn't looking good........although my attention was briefly distracted by the odd sight of the cars inside the showroom all having their (LED) front and rear lights on.

Somewhere around Billingshurst/Pulborough (I'm not sure where), Captain Defect's bike sprang a defect in getting a puncture. Now, despite him assuring us it was a 700 wheel, bearing in mind it was steel, had a Schrader valve, and had an old design tyre, I'm farily certain it was a 27" wheel. This would explain why my metric spanner wouldn't fit on the nuts to release the wheel. And even when we found an imperial spanner, I reckon they'd been tightened up by a Halfords chimp using an air compressor as I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to undo them by hand, and ended up using my size 11 foot as leverage, which eventually undid them. However, this wheel was a cornucopia of delights in giving us more things to worry about, as Paul discovered that about 25% of the rim tape was missing. Now if Tim O was on the ride, I'm sure he would have been carrying a roll of rim tape, but sadly he wasn't so we just had to hope the inner tube would hold. Therefore we didn't inflate it to the maximum, although clearly it would end up being under some strain. It was at this point the rain got really heavy, and quite a bit went down my back.

Once we were back on the road, the rain eased off and then stopped and we quickly caught up with everyone else. Despite its A road status, the A29 is quite benign, especially as there seemed to be far more traffic going the other way, and it's got some nice interesting ups and downs, although for some, the ultimate "up" in the form of Bury Hill did prove to be an obstacle. I remember the first time I climbed it, about 8 years ago, and ended up walking it almost from the start, which wasn't nice on a Sunday afternoon with loads of vehicles inches from your elbow. However, at 6:45 on a Saturday morning, it was quite pleasant, and I just spun away at around 6 to 8 mph until the top, and then we all re-grouped at the A29/A284 roundabout.

20141011_071408.jpg

For poor Captain Defect though, his ride was over. Some thought he should be promoted, others felt a demotion would be more appropriate. What possibly would have been useful was a correct inner tube!

20141011_072947.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the A29 towards Bognor (as I prefer the A284 descent towards Arundel), as in places the A29 is narrow, meaning some cars do get a bit close, and the last time we used it, some riders rode 2 or 3 across, oblivious to the cars zooming up behind them. Fortunately there weren't any issues this time, and we rapidly crossed the A27, slipped through Yapton, and all of a sudden we were in Felpham.

20141011_081955.jpg

(They've had a bit of a storm).

And then probably the best breakfast. Followed by beer. Which is a nice way to end a generally excellent night, despite the rain.

I wasn't on the first few FNRttC events, but I think my first was either July or August 2005, and I've probably done 60+. Each one is different, but they all involve Simon's meticulous planning and ability to plan ahead and think of options, coupled with the cheery enthusiasm of those who muck in and help out to waymark or TEC. A merry band of brothers and sisters. Although it won't necessarily carry on in the same way as before, the Fridays are something to be proud of.

Other photos shown here.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
:bravo:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Chapeau!:bravo:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Super post, Adam
This would explain why my metric spanner wouldn't fit on the nuts to release the wheel.
In case you ever need to know, I have a 1980s era pressed steel bike spanner, and an adjustable spanner in my bag. No rim tape tho (but plenty of duck tape). Not that this would have been of any use as I was positively zooming away down the A29 at the time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
rsz_p1020061.jpg
Here's a rather bad picture of mine showing some of you lovely people. It was a challenging night for me, but one I would not have missed for the world. We got pretty lucky with the weather, there was no wind, and Simon ran it as smoothly as a well-greased Victorian steam engine, as always. Thank-you to the scarecrows, TECs, and shadowy people who make it work.
I enjoyed seeing Rich P again. On my first FNRttC in about 2010, he sidled up alongside in Tooting ( he does that you know..) and engaged a nervous and gasping physical wreck in friendly and encouraging conversation. It meant a lot to me, and still does.

Thank you.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Alas, I could not be with you. What could possibly be better than a mini adventure with your chums and a great bike ride? Nothing could come close, obvs.
Hence me going to Spain with @ianmac62 instead of being drenched in Bognor....

The Special Fridays Shirt signed by those on the Bordeaux ride has ascended 10,000 feet in three days, and its wearer is well knackered I can tell you.
Herewith proof:
20141011_122942.jpg

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Sorry, I meant to say that we upheld the finest tradition of The Fridays at all times. By which I mean that after ascending The Massive San Glorio col, we descended to the nearest bar. While imbibing moderately, and minding our own business, having a deserved rest after cycling over the col, two motorcyclists appeared, pleased at their achievement in riding over the col ( 5,280 feet).

Oh how sneered. Oh how we threw them a welcoming, cheerful smile, wrapped in oceans of condescension.
Never mind that we had taken about three months (perhaps a bit less) to climb to the top, and that I almost contracted hypothermia on the way down in the bitter wind, we were The Fridays, and so we were Gods Of The Cycling World.
On our way out we threw them a smile.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@Flying Dodo - yes you are an incurable optimist. Bury Hill is not quite pleasant. Almost everything about it is horrible. It grinds away for ever laughing at you, its tarmac is grotesquely rough (I suspect it's not been relaid since it was built, presumably in the 1930s), the view (although fine) is interrupted by hedges, there's nowhere at the top to stop and exult in your achievement, so you're forced onto a little downhill stretch ending in the most awful large roundabout imaginable, outside a gatehouse which must once have been grand but is now cut off from civilisation by busy roads, and whose residents would have been disturbed by us had it not been that the roar of traffic was much louder. The downhill's not much to write home about either - a narrow fast road which was beginning to get busy.

About the only good thing is that when it was built plenty of motorised traffic was quite slow uphill, so the engineers foresightedly built a crawler lane. And most of the cars took the outside line.

srw

Anyway, others have described things well. Many thanks to Dr Bike Dodo and @ianrauk for their fettling skills. The rest of the ride was just settling off along Lonesome Lane as we caught up, so I hope we didn't delay things too much. That was a Durano - I run marathon, durano and their plus versions on all our bikes - which explains why I'm quite so unused to puncture fixing.

Remarkably, there were only three visitations or other mechanicals, and I'm afraid I'm (relatively) grateful to Captain Defect for the other one because the curry I'd eaten was beginning to do what curries do, so I had an opportunity to find a conveniently discreet corner without holding others up.
I discovered that conifer leaves are quite useful in such circumstances - as they have a built in deodoriser. It might be the only thing that Leylandii are good for.

It turns out that @flyingdodo is wrong - @Captain Defect didn't end his ride with his second puncture. On leaving the cafe for the pub he proudly announced he'd ridden 11 miles on the rims - I gather that two others helped him patch the tyre, which lasted about a mile. I spent about five minutes behind him on the way to the pub before deciding that discretion should get the better part of Schadenfreude and went past him. At about 9:30 we were by no means the first into the pub, which was surprising until the barman who let us into the garden reminded us that there's a Butlins in Bognor. I guess that given the choice between a concrete cabin and a cheap pint and breakfast there's only ever going to be one winner.

As a postscript, the guard who sold us our groupsave to London (and who kindly looked the other way when two of our number skipped the train one station early) said he'd passed us at the roundabout at the top of Bury Hill. He apologised for being a bit slow with the ticket-selling because "he'd been up for ages". Not quite as long as us.

I'm glad to hear that @McWobble got his second train - the traffic in Victoria was utterly horrendous.

Last edited:

srw

Oh - one more thing. How do those of you who like the feel of the wind over your scalp keep warm in the wet? I briefly tried the buff-round-the-head look à @laclaud, but (a) it was uncomfortable, and (b) I got cold, reinforcing my possibly overthought decision not to bring my one and only (baseball) cap. I eventually wound up with the "just get wet" option, but my locks are not as flowing as some people's, so it did lead to a fair amount of windchill.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh - one more thing. How do those of you who like the feel of the wind over your scalp keep warm in the wet? I briefly tried the buff-round-the-head look à @laclaud, but (a) it was uncomfortable, and (b) I got cold, reinforcing my possibly overthought decision not to bring my one and only (baseball) cap. I eventually wound up with the "just get wet" option, but my locks are not as flowing as some people's, so it did lead to a fair amount of windchill.

Buff.. pirate stylee.. with cycling cap on top.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I have a fairly weather-resistant cycling cap (it's a densely woven fairly heavy duty cotton one from R***a) which keeps my sparsely vegetated scalp warm enough. But then I don't tend to feel the cold up there - in fact there were times on the Felpham ride when my head was steaming, both with the cap on and without.

Top Bottom