FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham October 10th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Have fun, Y'all.
Weather forecast, the positive side, looks like you might avoid the wet stuff.

Reactions: srw

rb58

Enigma
Have a great ride. Sorry I can't be with you, but I look forward to reading the reports.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Right.

I'm now hung over.y front wheel was soft this morning but is now hard, as it had been all fay . I'll try and find a garage

See you all later.

Most of us have made it to the coast.

20141011_082221.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
"Most" - sounds intriguing!
Most under their own steam, some train assisted. Two terminal bike failures.

Today's ride has been aided and abetted by monsoon rain, lightning and thunder. Having said that, we were VERY lucky. It only started raining when we got to Horsham but for the entire ride, all the roads were covered in massive puddles everywhere so there had been lots of rain earlier. The lightning was interesting and the monsoon rain only fell at the times we were fixing punctures. Which I felt was a tad unfair. Overall though it wasn't too wet. Possibly.

More info later.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Today's ride has been aided and abetted by monsoon rain, lightning and thunder. Having said that, we were VERY lucky. It only started raining when we got to Horsham but for the entire ride, all the roads were covered in massive puddles everywhere so there had been lots of rain earlier. The lightning was interesting and the monsoon rain only fell at the times we were fixing punctures. Which I felt was a tad unfair. Overall though it wasn't too wet. Possibly.

More info later.
Sounds Epic!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A lightning-ish dash down the A-something or other got us to Littlehampton just in time for the Victoria train. Also got us very wet.

Thanks as usual to Simon, the TECs and wayfinders,and the all-upper for a most enjoyable, if damp, ride.

Back now despite the weather it was Epic and Great..... the wet and cold started affecting my knee so bailed at Pulborough to get me home at a reasonable time.... hope you all enjoyed Brekkie.

hatler

Guru
Well done all !! It would have been great to be there with you, I was really looking forward to a full-on fry-up and gassing with you all.

Sadly it seems that the addition of the hatlers to the ride at the Cabin Café brought the rain on. By the time we turned round there was no sign of its letting up and the prospect of a further 30 miles like that didn't appeal.

During our return to Horsham and then Faygate that decision was backed up by a couple of very heavy downpours and two or three claps of thunder.

On balance, despite the disappointment, I think we made the right decision.

frank9755

Cyclist
Well, I've never been to Felpham before and I thought that I would be there now - but it didn't work out. My back wheel went out of true after breaking a spoke. Even after a quick attempt at re-truing, loosening off the brakes and mudguard, it was still fouling the chainstays so I felt it was wiser to turn round and go home rather than risk the wheel getting worse, or possible sidewall failure from cumulative tyre-rubbing.

The spoke was totally my fault. An inspection of the wheel in daylight just now confirmed what I thought had happened. I'd not checked my limit stops for a few months and the lower one had clearly drifted out. So when I went for my bottom gear at the start of that last steep ramp up to the top of the North Downs, I over-shifted into the spokes. No dork disc when it would have earned its spurs, and the chain sliced a spoke off at the neck. Several of the other spokes look a bit chewed.

The wheel was fine on my ride home. TBH it probably would have got me to Felpham but it didn't seem sensible to risk it, and it wouldn't have been fair to hold the group up while I spent another 10 minutes getting it a bit straighter.

It was a pleasant consolation ride back. It was wet roads all the way but no rain, so it must have passed behind us as well as in front. I saw dozens of foxes, ruling the city in the full moon. Got back at 3:30 and flopped in to bed, and now am working out what to do with my bonus Saturday.

It was great to catch up with several people I've not seen for ages during the couple of hours that I was riding. Hope everyone enjoyed breakfast!

Top Bottom