FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris 22, 23, 24 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I wondered how far down I would have to read to see a comment about illegal immigrants. Not very.
It will be a shame if the ferry does stop running.

Roughly what time do we expect to get to St Saens? The hotel want to know. I guess they need to turn down the covers and put the chocolates on the pillow...

Frank the ferry arrives about 3pm approx so I would say more 5pm to 6pm ish...

St Saens is the village we stopped in for that first coffee of the day three years ago.

Tim Hall

Still not booked my Paris hotel, nor train back to the seaside. @dellzeqq, which train did you plump for? Clues on suitable cheap but comfortable hotels in staggering distance from dinner would be handy.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Still not booked my Paris hotel, nor train back to the seaside. @dellzeqq, which train did you plump for? Clues on suitable cheap but comfortable hotels in staggering distance from dinner would be handy.
Tim - I'd call Rail Europe in Piccadilly. The SNCF website only shows the fast trains. We're on a slow train leaving a little after 8

Tim Hall

Tim - I'd call Rail Europe in Piccadilly. The SNCF website only shows the fast trains. We're on a slow train leaving a little after 8
Just spoken with them (before I read your post) and got booked on the 1034, arrive Dieppe 1310. I like to have the morning well aired before I get up. The Saucy Sue sails at 1800, non?

Just looking at hotels, and found a possible in the same street as your suggested dining spot.

StuartG

slower but further
If you are returning to Dieppe - most trains from Paris to Rouen do NOT take bikes. A few do including one after 8am. You need to check the SNCF site carefully for the cycle symbol. All change at Rouen - no problem from there onwards on the diddy express to Dieppe. If Paris is not your thing - I'm planning to wander off after Gisors to enjoy the countryside rather than the city.

Tim Hall

If you are returning to Dieppe - most trains from Paris to Rouen do NOT take bikes. A few do including one after 8am. You need to check the SNCF site carefully for the cycle symbol. All change at Rouen - no problem from there onwards on the diddy express to Dieppe. If Paris is not your thing - I'm planning to wander off after Gisors to enjoy the countryside rather than the city.
The nice man at uk.voyages.sncf.com in London said that both trains (Paris - Rouen and Rouen-Dieppe) took bikes but didn't do reservations. I said I'd deploy the Mk1 winning smile just in case. I'll check on the SNCF as you suggest.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
again, Deutsche Bahn's website has an elegant solution.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

chose "further search options" in the search field of the left hand side, then select "carriage of bikes required on train" down on the very bottom.

searching for Paris-Dieppe connections on Sunday, May 25, gives three options: 8ish, 14ish and 16ish

Tim Hall

again, Deutsche Bahn's website has an elegant solution.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

chose "further search options" in the search field of the left hand side, then select "carriage of bikes required on train" down on the very bottom.

searching for Paris-Dieppe connections on Sunday, May 25, gives three options: 8ish, 14ish and 16ish
But choosing Paris-Rouen using the Deutsche Bahn website shows that the 10:34 does take bikes. The Roue-Dieppe bit should be OK anyway, as it's a TER, which take bikesanyway. The French version of voyages-sncf.com shows a reassuring bicycle icon next to to the 10:34 too. It's not there for the UK version. If I speak French (or dress like Drew Buck on PBP) I might get away with it.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
well, Deutsche Bahn's website might have issues with trains that take bikes without having a bike "policy" . I run into that isses 10 years ago when it seen to be impossible getting trains from Germany to oostend with a bike. turned out that all trains in Belgium accepted trains, and the site did not konw that. maybe same issue with trains from Rouen to Dieppe. As a Bromptonaut, I don't really have this headaches anymore...

Top Bottom