FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris 22, 23, 24 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Hi all, I'm a late joiner to this and need some help!!

I'm intending to go all the way to Paris but may be a bit slow(ish).. ok quite slow, but I def intend to be on the 10am ferry. My sense of direction is questionable at the best of times, so I'd rather not ride alone, just wondered if I anyone would be up for riding together on the French side… Also if anyone is up for a room share (female) in Saint-Saens please let me know..

I called the ferry co and they are happy for people to carry on bikes in bags if fully concealed.. anyone who can recommend a good (light) bag for my v small Cube Axial is welcome to make suggestions!!

Thanks v much!

Charlie
Have a word with @AKA Bob . I think he has a ferry ticket for said crossing he probably won't need. (I'm not sure if it comes with a bike reservation, as he usually Bromptoneers...)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cheers I've messaged him. :smile:
and remember - cut the weight of your luggage down to minus numbers!

Now - Saturday evening. This my thought

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/La-Favorite-de-Sam/436213956465424?rf=424995440903678
In a few words...
ANNÉES RÉTRO - Chez La Favorite de Sam, on replonge directement dans les sixties. Du formica en veux-tu, en voilà, le bar en zinc et le sol en mosaïques, un plafond tout en découpes design et des couleurs pop-acidulées… : un bel hommage aux Yéyés.

CUISINE NOSTALGIE - Sans surprise, on s'y restaure façon tradi à base de recettes bien de chez nous : œufs bio cocotte, blanquette, poulet fermier, confit de canard, Paris-Brest, mousse au chocolat à discrétion… Comme chez Mamie !

APÉRO VINTAGE - La terrasse et son mobilier multicolore finiront de vous convertir en habitué, surtout pour l'happy hour. Rendez-vous de 18h à 20h !

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Interesting comment, @Flying Dodo because at last year's Dieppe Raid we were all bored to tears by the mayor of Dieppe making a long speech at the opening ceremony praising the contribution made to the town's economy by the ferry. At the time we wondered why he kept banging on about it.
I also heard the Harwich ferry was closing. One more link to the continent closes. One wonders how its economy will cope without us.

Tim Hall

Interesting comment, @Flying Dodo because at last year's Dieppe Raid we were all bored to tears by the mayor of Dieppe making a long speech at the opening ceremony praising the contribution made to the town's economy by the ferry. At the time we wondered why he kept banging on about it.
I also heard the Harwich ferry was closing. One more link to the continent closes. One wonders how its economy will cope without us.
Google suggests it's the DFDS service to Esbjerg that is under threat. Harwich to the Hook will continue.

redfalo

"Users of the line have reacted with dismay at the threat, describing the threat of closure as a 'disaster'."

And they did not even ask US!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sidies-cross-channel-route.html#ixzz30uP7cUce

(Sorry for linking to the gutter of British journalism, but there are times....)

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think it is all down to the loss of Long Martin's contribution to the local economy in the form of its bars.
I did try my best. I personally blame SWMBO (and possibly the French Govt) for barring me from the environs of Dieppe.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You have to admire the way this gutter rag blames the French for the loss of British jobs because the French taxpayer has spent £19m subsidising aforesaid British jobs and won't do it any more. Imagine the fuss if it had been the other way round

redfalo

You have to admire the way this gutter rag blames the French for the loss of British jobs because the French taxpayer has spent £19m subsidising aforesaid British jobs and won't do it any more. Imagine the fuss if it had been the other way round

indeed, seen from this perspective, it's a real masterpiece.

frank9755

Cyclist
I wondered how far down I would have to read to see a comment about illegal immigrants. Not very.
It will be a shame if the ferry does stop running.

Roughly what time do we expect to get to St Saens? The hotel want to know. I guess they need to turn down the covers and put the chocolates on the pillow...

redfalo

I wondered how far down I would have to read to see a comment about illegal immigrants. Not very.
It will be a shame if the ferry does stop running.

Roughly what time do we expect to get to St Saens? The hotel want to know. I guess they need to turn down the covers and put the chocolates on the pillow...

I think in previous year, we arrived in the afternoon, 4-5pm-ish

Top Bottom