Friend insanely close passed by team sky coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sky also have a link with British Cycling with a remit for encouraging people to get on their bikes. They should apologise properly and use it as a way of publicising how coach/lorry drivers should behave around cyclists. They could turn a bit of bad driving into a positive outcome if they put their minds to it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ok, lets pretend they acknowledge their driver is a prat.

Then what?
Team Sky tell the agency who supplied the driver, some admin clerk at the agency apologises but privately they say "yes but we pay peanuts so we get monkeys", and continue to farm him out to other customers because they can't get anyone else to do the work for the pay on offer; that's the way things work in the commercial driving world of modern Britain. Applies to HGV drivers too (although there are the occasional good ones too; like people on pensions who don't want to work the generally accepted full time hours of 60+ hours per week. Who could that be then? :angel:).

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've just spoken to a friend of mine who was on a different part of the TOB route today. On his way back to work he was passed close and at speed by a team sky coach. I have just seen his go pro from it and it's scary. Another rider further down also says the same happened to him. I'm trying to get him to at least contact sky but he's reluctant to take it further. Surely a driver for a pro cycling team should be bike aware.

I've seen some of the worst driving, poor lane discipline, use of a mobile at the wheel, from someone in a British Cycling liveried car, complete with a bike on the roof rack, in south Wales.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a short clip of the video at https://twitter.com/AndyRolfe65/media

Shows close pass and squeeze at speed, with HGV (petrol tanker?) coming the other way having to pull left and stop to avoid collision. Definitely one for the police.

GC

Wow that's a nasty pass. Pure impatient nobbery.
However, on a road like that I would have been further over to the right as to not invite an overtake from nobbers like that coach driver.

Drago

Legendary Member
They've surely got to offer a big apology (and maybe some sort of nice little gift to say sorry...?) If not he should definitely put it on Youtube, it isn't on to put him in danger and they should know better

So they won't just dispatch the driver back to the agency pool from whence he came, they'll send the OP a free bike and a Team Sky contract? Best that'll happen is they say "sorry, the driver was a nob, he's gone now."

Brandane

Legendary Member
A sensible course of action for the victim here would be to send that clip to his local Traffic Commissioner. TC's have much wider powers than the Police (who might be reluctant to take any positive action anyway) to deal with commercial drivers, as they don't have to rely on the same burdens of proof required by a court.
A TC can "invite" this driver in for a "chat", and suspend his licence until he sees the error of his ways. He would be left in no uncertain terms as to the consequences of any further incidents too. Might be worth a go?

Top Bottom