Friend insanely close passed by team sky coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
He probably is, and what changes if they respond, "yeah, he is a bit of a tool"?
Hopefully they'll avoid hiring such tools in the future. Hopefully they won't have to manage a media meltdown when their cycling team coach driver kills a cyclist, because they've taken this report seriously?

You're not suggesting the guy should have laughed it off and done nothing are you?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I read down the thread to your post ... then back to the top to read the original, and then said "oh! not coach but coach!" So I took longer than you.
It's coach as in train, rather than coach as in train.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
To play Devil's Advocate to some extent, I don't think it started out as an intentionally close pass; It looks like the bus had started out the manoeuvre at a decent distance from the rider, then cut in way too soon as a result of the tanker come over the hill. It doesn't make it okay of course, but then I guess it can't be that easy to drive a massive battleship like that on what is a very narrow country road.

I've often looked at these buses and pondered just how unsuitable they are for narrow roads.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd like to think that the people on the coach remonstrated with the driver at the time, what with them being cyclists. But if they didn't then, they will in future won't they? Are people seriously saying there's nothing to see here and it wasn't worth mentioning?
It was probably empty, going from the start point to the finish point,

Personally I would have chased after him & pulled up at the next set of lights & had a word, well I would have in my dreams anyway

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've often looked at these buses and pondered just how unsuitable they are for narrow roads.
I drive artics, sometimes on narrow roads. Golden rule #1 is the same as it is for everyone else - don't overtake unless you are absolutely sure you have enough time to complete the manoeuvre in the space you can see to be clear ahead (and that includes allowing for something fast moving appearing round a bend in the opposite direction. What would have happened if that tanker had been a motorbike heading towards the bus at illegal speeds?).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I drive artics, sometimes on narrow roads. Golden rule #1 is the same as it is for everyone else - don't overtake unless you are absolutely sure you have enough time to complete the manoeuvre in the space you can see to be clear ahead (and that includes allowing for something fast moving appearing round a bend in the opposite direction. What would have happened if that tanker had been a motorbike heading towards the bus at illegal speeds?).

Yes you're absolutely right, and I don't condone it. It was really poor driving, but at least it didn't start out as an intentionally close pass, which some do.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
... but at least it didn't start out as an intentionally close pass, which some do.

To me the intention is irrelevant, either way it's still putting me at an unacceptable risk.

Giving these drivers any sort of credit for not actually meaning to do harm isn't helping road safety and is regularly used in court after fatalities in this type of scenario. "My client did not set out to kill anyone that day" blah, blah ... and a sympathetic jury thinks 'that's fair enough, could've done that myself', so another dick keeps his licence.

I'll stop now as I feel a full -blown rant coming on...

GC

OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
He may not have setout to close pass but chose to squeeze the rider into the kerb rather than slowing and letting the tanker pass. It's all escalated rather quickly. BBC and ITV have been in touch as has the SKY PR machine. Nothing will change but at least its a high profile example of what we experience day in day out.

Guyincognito76

Don't pass if you can't see the road is clear in front -there's no other argument.

The tanker only 'causes' him to cut in as he was overtaking unsighted. Drivers will always, perhaps instinctively take out the cyclist rather than crash into something even if that something is a bollard and not a tanker.

Normally when you watch these 'close pass' videos you either can't appreciate the closeness or the uploader is a little too sensative -but man, that is a close pass!

OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Andy isn't one to make a fuss and anyone who uses a cam will know it's always closer than it looks. He's on 5live tomorrow with Nicky Cambell :laugh::laugh: hopefully he'll get a message out

Top Bottom