Froome V Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems like the Daily Mail are reporting a feud within Sky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...oomes-Tour-France-bonus-payment.html#comments

Have to say that the DM is usually the most inaccurate paper to read, including the sun but for this story I thought the same, why did Sky restrict Froome in 2012, you could see that in certain stages he was itching to power ahead and on one stage was given permission. You cant say he didnt have it in him to win as he did this year.

Interesting to see what happens within the team, total rubbish about froome being on drugs though from the comments.

Steve H

Large Member
Brad was the team leader.
He had a good lead.
He was the best time trialler of the potential winners with key time trial stages ahead.
No team manager is going to put at risk their best chance of winning the Tour.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
He had a good lead.
He was the best time trialler of the potential winners with key time trial stages ahead.

I did get the feeling that Froome would have won the tour if allowed to drop Brad. Froome is the better rider IMO.

Froome was paid to support Wiggins, that was the job. If Wiggins had pulled a 'Giro' then Froome would have got the nod, but that didn't happen. The taking forever to share the winners bonus, as is tradition, seems like a really poor show from Wiggins, who purports to be a great fan of cycling tradition.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
He had a good lead.

Yeah thats what the documentary was saying but was he the best as Froome was 2nd.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Froome was paid to support Wiggins, that was the job. If Wiggins had pulled a 'Giro' then Froome would have got the nod, but that didn't happen. The taking forever to share the winners bonus, as is tradition, seems like a really poor show from Wiggins, who purports to be a great fan of cycling tradition.

Problem is, is what is report true. Wiggins does sometimes come across as arrogant at times but he is the reason i got into road cycling so still a role model for me.

Problem is, is what is report true. Wiggins does sometimes come across as arrogant at times but he is the reason i got into road cycling so still a role model for me.
I think with Counde, Walsh and Brailsfords recent comments we can safely assume Wiggins was rather tardy with giving Froome his share of the pot.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's more to this than meets the eye I believe.
A report I read said that if Wiggins gave Froome the normal share of the winner's pot Froome would have greatly out-earned BW due to copping £200K for coming second.
In truth though it's just shoot-stirring stuff that should be sorted out in private. Froome's gf doesn't do him any favours IMHO.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There's more to this than meets the eye I believe.
A report I read said that if Wiggins gave Froome the normal share of the winner's pot Froome would have greatly out-earned BW due to copping £200K for coming second.
In truth though it's just s***-stirring stuff that should be sorted out in private. Froome's gf doesn't do him any favours IMHO.
Froome, generally, comes across as a nice bloke- though his comments on the La Toussuire incident struck me as more than a little ambiguous. The other half, on the other hand, is a PR nightmare…for the bloke she does PR for….

Hont

Guru
It's all come out now because it's in Walsh's new book. I'm sure all (except maybe Michelle Cound perhaps) would rather have kept this quiet - especially Wiggins and Brailsford.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It would be interesting to read David Walsh's book.

If my memory doesn't fail me I remember Wiggins was eager to defend his title and what we heard that Sky were more inclined to go with Froome leading the team. I vaguely recollect an interview with Wiggins where the question of Froome leading the tour was put to him and his reply was something like "we are professionals and we all want to lead the tour but he was confident he would be the one to lead the Sky team at the tour." So my question is, was a genuine injury what kept Wiggins out of the Tour? Or was just Wiggins throwing the toys out of the pram?

thom

____
So my question is, was a genuine injury what kept Wiggins out of the Tour? Or was just Wiggins throwing the toys out of the pram?

Nobody will ever get a good answer to that question. To me this is just re-hashing old news and is rather tedious and unimportant.

There is a new season just round the corner. Brad is unlikely to go for GC, so what will be interesting is to see what targets he sets and where he applies himself. Let's look forward to that.
Let's also look forward to what Froome does as a GC rider. Will he hold off the burgeoning Columbian talent of the likes of Quintana and Uran Uran ?
I'm much more excited about the stories of the future of GB cycling racing : the Yates brothers, will Geraint Thomas or Ian Stannard do something in the classics. Oh yes, Mark Cavendish too...

Top Bottom