Froome V Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Will he hold off the burgeoning Columbian talent of the likes of Quintana and Uran Uran ?

Time for them to dust off their yellow jerseys (well T-shirts)...

3a76e84359ad116c0795ffe064aa0791.jpg

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
It would be interesting to read David Walsh's book.

If my memory doesn't fail me I remember Wiggins was eager to defend his title and what we heard that Sky were more inclined to go with Froome leading the team. I vaguely recollect an interview with Wiggins where the question of Froome leading the tour was put to him and his reply was something like "we are professionals and we all want to lead the tour but he was confident he would be the one to lead the Sky team at the tour." So my question is, was a genuine injury what kept Wiggins out of the Tour? Or was just Wiggins throwing the toys out of the pram?

Wiggins would have got destroyed at this years Tour, sky knew who would bring the tour home and it wasn`t Wiggins

Wiggins would have got destroyed at this years Tour, sky knew who would bring the tour home and it wasn`t Wiggins
Agreed but people are kidding themselves if they think Froome would have had 2012 with the same ease! The past is the past, we should just leave it there and leave the what if's the f*ck alone.

Ps, that elevation on your Velo profile is nuts.

Chris Norton

If Wiggins got first prize pot then froome with the second prize would have been subject to the same share the wealth tradition. Team game and all that but its a year ago and the tour down under become.

Is the article the same one as being debated?

The article was not about who did / didn't win, or who should / could have won.

It is about a breach of etiquette raising the question as to why Wiggins paid all the riders except one, and Brailsford had to intervene to make him pay up. It illustrates a poor relationship in the team which could have an effect

The Froome drugs allegations were an example of the hysterical post Armstrong reactions, and a need to find an one stop solution

There was a scientific paper (Google Antoine Vayer) that worked out how much power a rider should be able to output under normal circumstances and this was suggested as being usable as a warning flag. If a driver exceeds this calculated output then there must be some enhancement.

Froome's output on some of the legs exceeded this figure and were comparable with some of Armstrong's performances..... hence the only way it could be achievd was by performance enhancement

One sports Scientist stated:

"When he won the stages of the Ax 3 Domaines and Mont Ventoux he was performing at a level that was similar to those athletes that are known to have doped in the past.

"That means there's been even more questioning around those performances, because people are looking at this person and saying, 'Well if he's not doping then how is he at that same level?'

"The answer to that is complex, because it's not simply that if you go too fast you must be doping. There are many other factors that affect the performance on a given day and so it needs a little bit of caution and a little bit of insight to understand fully what the data is saying."

This article explains some of the background

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Agreed but people are kidding themselves if they think Froome would have had 2012 with the same ease! The past is the past, we should just leave it there and leave the what if's the f*ck alone.

I like to climb, am not very fast and i can`t attack but i can climb..this year so far i`ve climbed 325,089ft...hoping to get my year ending miles 7000

My strava
http://www.strava.com/athletes/470547

beastie

Guru

Agreed.
There were occasions when Froome looked to be struggling, and the bottom line is Wiggins wasn't racing him. If it had been open season it may well have been close.

Radchenister

Veteran
Nobody will ever get a good answer to that question. To me this is just re-hashing old news and is rather tedious and unimportant.

There is a new season just round the corner. Brad is unlikely to go for GC, so what will be interesting is to see what targets he sets and where he applies himself. Let's look forward to that.
Let's also look forward to what Froome does as a GC rider. Will he hold off the burgeoning Columbian talent of the likes of Quintana and Uran Uran ?
I'm much more excited about the stories of the future of GB cycling racing : the Yates brothers, will Geraint Thomas or Ian Stannard do something in the classics. Oh yes, Mark Cavendish too...

Agree absolutely ... bike riders roll into the sunset, they revisit old routes on occasions of course but it's always in a new light on a new day, the past is acknowledged but not more important than the job in hand, I'm bored to death with the supposed Wiggins v Froome 'war' minutiae, to me it's just normal team politics magnified unnaturally by desk piloting journos and pub dwelling incumbents - time to move on folks ;) !

Speaking of which, I'm a bit partial to the Welsh (my uni days were spent there, the better half is 'one', which means so are half the kids and my extended family lol :biggrin: ), they're an honest and hard working bunch; a brilliantly literal and lyrical nation ... Geraint Thomas is massive in my mind after his tour efforts with a broken pelvis, I'll be waving a flag for that man ... looking forwards to 2014, new roles, new goals and new winds in the sails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom