GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Just watched stage 1 no ads here on Disco+
As to the above question as an old man I have no idea what any of that means, I'm a nuts and bolts man. Sorry

Alex321

Veteran
Hi folks,

I'm a bit late to this thread so pardon if this has been mentioned here already but: is there a way for folks in the US to pay for a subscription for Discovery+ or Eurosport App and then use a VPN to stream? So far all payment methods with billing addresses from the US seem to get declined.
For example: is it possible to use a VPN to create an account on Discovery+ and then give someone in Europe my Discovery+ log in credentials so they can pay for a membership (and then Venmo that person to reimburse them for the membership fee)?

Any input would be much appreciated! After the GCN+ shut down I'm scrambling to find a way to watch races this season and I'd like to just have one subscription instead of 3 different ones totaling ~$500/year (NBC's Peacock, WBD's Max and Flobikes)

I'm surprised it isn't covered by WBD Sports (since that stands for Warner Brother Discovery), as it is Warner Brothers who own Discovery+

november4

Hi folks,

I'm a bit late to this thread so pardon if this has been mentioned here already but: is there a way for folks in the US to pay for a subscription for Discovery+ or Eurosport App and then use a VPN to stream? So far all payment methods with billing addresses from the US seem to get declined.
For example: is it possible to use a VPN to create an account on Discovery+ and then give someone in Europe my Discovery+ log in credentials so they can pay for a membership (and then Venmo that person to reimburse them for the membership fee)?

Any input would be much appreciated! After the GCN+ shut down I'm scrambling to find a way to watch races this season and I'd like to just have one subscription instead of 3 different ones totaling ~$500/year (NBC's Peacock, WBD's Max and Flobikes)

Maybe...I use app called streamlocator which works for things that block known iP addresses of vpn companies, Google it, to stream....to sign up....You can buy subscription for services like you mention over vpn, but trick is to set up a parallel Google play account in that country and switch to it to download the app from that countries play store, after that doesn't matter which one you have active, just start streamlocator then open app.

Stevo91

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help with Discovery+ subscription questions and to see if its worth my while.

I see that its still questionable whether we will be able to watch races ad-free like we did on GCN+. From the Womens Tour Down Under it sounds like it was ad-free. Is it clear on the app that there is an ad-free stream/does the commentators still mention that there is an ad break for TV viewers? Or is this likely to be on a race by race basis?

Secondly, from time to time I would switch on GCN+ and watch any random live road race that happened to be on. Is it still easy enough to do this on the Discovery+ app or do you have to do a bit digging ?

And lastly, is there still more races available on the app than there is broadcast on Eurosport? The reason I ask is that I have Eurosport through my TV sub, but willing to pay for Discovery+ if this gets me access to more races (particularly ad-free!)?

Cheers in advance

tarric

Über Member
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help with Discovery+ subscription questions and to see if its worth my while.

I see that its still questionable whether we will be able to watch races ad-free like we did on GCN+. From the Womens Tour Down Under it sounds like it was ad-free. Is it clear on the app that there is an ad-free stream/does the commentators still mention that there is an ad break for TV viewers? Or is this likely to be on a race by race basis?

Secondly, from time to time I would switch on GCN+ and watch any random live road race that happened to be on. Is it still easy enough to do this on the Discovery+ app or do you have to do a bit digging ?

And lastly, is there still more races available on the app than there is broadcast on Eurosport? The reason I ask is that I have Eurosport through my TV sub, but willing to pay for Discovery+ if this gets me access to more races (particularly ad-free!)?

Cheers in advance
Who knows what will happen going forward, all I can say is I watched all the racing last year using Discovery Plus as it was free add on with Sky and found it no different than watching it with GCN+ previously, no adds and the same commentators and pre and post show.

I found the menu easy enough to navigate, just go to cycling and scroll through the categories,
Upcoming, which tells you whats coming and when.
Latest, races that have finished and were shown live earlier.
Extended Highlights and Highlights, what it says of earlier races.
And so on.

Again last year yes and the ad free option for the races as well.

You can get a 1 week free trial to Discovery Plus, why not get it next week watch the TDU and have a look round before deciding.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've just been moaning about the D+ app in the TDU thread. I now realise that was The Wrong Thread.

I'm using it on Sky Q

Fast forward/rewind is a bit crap. For a start, unlike a lot of apps, you don't get a picture preview of where you're forwarding to. So if you want to rewind or fast forward to a particular bit of coverage, like the start of the overhead replay of a sprint or you want to write down Carlton's exact words in your big Carlton scrapbook, then you're doing it blind.

The second problem was that I found that too big a forward jump (in my case about 3 hrs to pass over the whole of the race to just the sprint) simply killed the app. It hung for about five minutes so I had to kill it. I found that to make such a big jump you have to do it in smaller increments. About 30mins at a time worked.

But these are minor grumbles. It basically works if you are gentle with it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The discovery app seems to be working more or less ok for me. I seem to have it through a BT TV subscription. I’ve been running it on an iPad and chromecasting to the tv. I do have a 1Gb full fibre internet with good Wi-Fi connection if that is relevant. The best way of fast forwarding for me was with the slider bar on the app rather than the chrome cast. So far it’s ok and advert free but not quite as good as GCN. Just need the TDU to be a bit more exciting!

Mike_P

Guru
At least on the TV the picture is fine. The GCN app on the Firestick would zoom to the top left of the picture or jump to a smaller picture within a frozen main screen. GCN blamed Amazon, Amazon blamed GCN. Given also the lack of progress on the promised Roku app thinking the decision to axe GCN+ was a kept secret for some time. IIRC the GCN+ picture was fast forward equally without any moving reference image.

Plus side of having to subscribe to discovery+ is they have an app for my TV so I can hog that instead of making do with the laptop.

Mike_P

Guru
I see the extended highlights are as bad ever - the last 58km today being those for Tirreno Adriatico complete seemingly with ads as they have a Eurosport 2 screen logo
Incredibly just short enough to miss the intermediate sprint, okay more who rolled across the line but still a highlight matter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dan Lloyd on Youtube apologising that they have put out a RVV preview made before the Dwaars Door Vlaanderen crash changed things. Worth noting the point he makes about the team. Not just a case of the same stuff being avaialable elsewhere.

@DanielLloyd1 said:
Hi everyone. I'm so sorry this video was out of date as soon as it was released. I decided we should still put it out because all of the course information was still relevant, and the majority of the riders too. Since the closure of GCN+, we lost our small team that was dedicated to racing coverage. It means we don't have the resource to re-film/edit things like this at the last moment, particularly ahead of a bank holiday Friday as we have in the UK tomorrow. Enjoy Sunday's races. Dan

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Eurosport subscription runs until July and is still working. I presume that after that I will have to switch to Discovery+?

What is REALLY annoying me is that the cast button has disappeared from the On Demand coverage that I am watching so I can't use the Chromecast dongle on my TV to watch in high quality. I can mirror a Chrome browser window over wifi but that produces a low quality and juddery picture.

The other new annoying problem is that the apps on my phone and tablet don't show the View More button to look back over older races. It DOES appear on the website. That means that I have to watch on my laptop but I want to be working on that while the cycling is on a different device.

Mike_P

Guru
My Eurosport subscription runs until July and is still working. I presume that after that I will have to switch to Discovery+?

What is REALLY annoying me is that the cast button has disappeared from the On Demand coverage that I am watching so I can't use the Chromecast dongle on my TV to watch in high quality. I can mirror a Chrome browser window over wifi but that produces a low quality and juddery picture.

The other new annoying problem is that the apps on my phone and tablet don't show the View More button to look back over older races. It DOES appear on the website. That means that I have to watch on my laptop but I want to be working on that while the cycling is on a different device.

Maybe invest in full Chromecast device, plenty on eBay potentially cheap, on which you can install the Discovery+ app.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe invest in full Chromecast device, plenty on eBay potentially cheap, on which you can install the Discovery+ app.
Maybe in the future, yes, but for now I'd rather that my current Chromecast dongle continued to work with my Eurosport subscription since both have already been paid for and there is no good reason for them not to carry on working together!

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
For the last couple of years, I've been subscribed to Discovery+ using a Fire cube and an annual sub. This has got me not only Eurosport 1 and 2 but access to ad-free streams of major cycling events and complete live coverage of others, including many one day events. So, when the commentators for, say, the Tour state there's an ad break coming, I don't get ads and they just carry on.

Today, my Discovery+ sub autorenewed not for an annual sub but for £6.99 a month. When I looked up the subscription rates, the cycling options for the £6.99 a month contract were unchecked, greyed out and not selectable. The same went for the only annual subscription option shown. They were not unchecked for the only other monthly sub shown of £30.99 (!!).

Got through to a human being on Discovery's online chat. He said the annual sub was now withdrawn but the £6.99 month sub should get me cycling via Eurosport 1 and 2. When I asked if this included the ad-free Tour streams and the other events that I was able to view live in full last year (that didn't always appear on Eurosport 1 and 2 even as highlights), he was rather vague about that other than saying limited advertising was now included

I've opted to carry on the sub for the time being to see what I actually get. I'm not optimistic, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom