Giant Defy sizing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jackswan

Looking at purchasing a Giant Defy 1.
Off to look at one over the weekend, its a "Large" size.
I'm 6ft with an inside leg measurement of 33 inches (84cm).
I have a Giant Roam "large" size and is a perfect fit, how would the Defy fit?

vickster

Legendary Member

Cyclist33

Hard to say precisely. Best to try outs!

For what it's worth I'm 5.11 with a 32 inny, and ride the medium large with a stem that's 1cm shorter than standard.

Fits perfectly. Shhh, don't tell my other bike!

OP
OP
Jackswan

Jackswan

I'm supposed to be going to look at it tomorrow morning, any tips.

This will be my first road bike, don't really know what to look at fit wise.

Cyclist33

I'm supposed to be going to look at it tomorrow morning, any tips.

This will be my first road bike, don't really know what to look at fit wise.

1. Don't be afraid to experiment with geometry tweaks while there, Eg ask to try different stems etc, get the seat high enough to give the pedals some downhole.

2. Think about how you want to ride in advance. Do you like being upright? Do you prefer being flatter and longer? Many peeps get seduced by the marketing around sportive geometry with tall front end and a shorter reach, in truth your body may not suit that approach.

3. Take your Roam with you. I know it's a different type of bike but will give you a yardstick to compare or even measure up against.

4. They say you "know" when a bike feels right, but in truth, what feels right on the turbo trainer isn't always the same after an 80 mile ride. So trust your instincts but don't get too hung up on them. Most things can be adapted. Including the human body.

Cyclist33

It's second hand 2014 model

Cracker. Blue n white or black n red? Careful what you say, @vickster listening!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
That should be right- I have a 2014 Defy 1 (in blue) which is an L and I'm 6'2" with 34 inside leg and fits me perfectly- the saddle is quite high on it but the L covers quite a large rider height range so should be good. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Jackswan

Jackswan

image.jpg
Finally got a Giant Defy 1 in a large size. Not the red and black one, that deal fell through.
Managed to pick up a 2013 model in white with red and black trim. Never used by the previous owner, so it is in immaculate condition.
Will have to wait a few more weeks before I can attempt to ride it, due to a rib and wrists injury from a few weeks ago.
Will give me plenty of time to decide on some pedals for it.

Top Bottom