Great Cover Versions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FBOAB

Zappa's version of Bolero. He played it live once in London on his last tour. A chap I knew went to the gig and the crowd were so blown away there was a silence of about three seconds before they erupted.

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
You can listen to a cover version I played in my sig link below....personally I think it's way better than the origional which was by some loser band from the 70's;):evil::blush:

That's not bad. Just a couple of production niggles though.

The drums sound like they've got one mike on them, or maybe just one on the bass and one on the rest of the kit. Get a mike on the snare as well.

The guitar is the best part, but too squidgy. Too much echo / reverb / flange whatever all over the distortion. Use stereo a/b effects to get the best out of a more natural sounding guitar.

The vocals are very good. Good voice and well recorded.

Bigtallfatbloke

I double tracked the guitar solos having worked them all out note for note, the drummer is actually the singer as well..maybe he was singing down his snare mic:biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've listened to all of the cover versions suggested so far and been rather underwhelmed (with the exception of Hendrix's version of Dylan - which even he prefers, and Cash's 'Hurt' - but then all his covers are rather fantastic). That first one was awful (the cover of Outcast) was awful. I've been casting around for one that I think is really good, and actually I am struggling. The only ones I think I really like are The Pixies' version of JaMC's 'Head On' and, on a related note, The Breeders' version The Beatles' 'Happiness is a Warm Gun'. But I'm not sure they are better than the originals...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Johnnie Allan's version of Promised Land, complete with accordian.

Bryan Ferry with The Times They Are Achanging.

The Pogues, Dirty Old Town.

Rolf Harris breathing life into that pretentious crap Stairway to Heaven. Pity he didn't do the same to Imagine too, though Orville the duck might be more appropriate.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smokin Joe said:
Rolf Harris breathing life into that pretentious crap Stairway to Heaven. Pity he didn't do the same to Imagine too, though Orville the duck might be more appropriate.

and i thought i was the only one that thought of those tracks as a load of old tosh. imagine would have been long forgotten if lennon had lived to produce a back catalogue of tedium, á la mccartney :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sharon Shannon & Friends - A man of Constant Sorrow
Cheryl Crow - Here Comes the Sun
De Dannan - Hey Jude
Eva cassidy - Over the Rainbow

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Running for covers

craigwend said:
MarK lanegan's version of 'Where did you sleep last night' from 1990 (had some blokes called Kurt Cobain on guitar and Krist Novoselic on bass as his back up band) probably inspired someone three years later, I did like the Nirvana version, not quite as good though

Mark Lanegan's version can be found on his album The Winding Sheet [his covers album I'll Take Care of You is well worth a listen as well]. Love Nirvana's version of DB's The man who sold the world too:becool:. See also:
Mudhoney-Pump it up [original by Elvis Costello]
Tom Waits-I don't want to grow up [original by the Ramones]
Echo and The Bunnymen-Paint it black [original by the Stones]
Madeleine Peyroux-The heart of saturday night [original by Tom Waits]
Johnny Cash-Solitary man [original by Neil Diamond]
Emmylou Harris-Waterfall[original by Jimi Hendrix]
Mark Kozelek from Red House Painters also recorded a whole album of AC/DC covers called What's Next To The Moon which makes them sound like lost Nick Drake songs.

Happy listening!

Top Bottom