Gypsy Invasion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's interesting. Here in Westshire crime usually drops when they move into an area, because residents suddenly start locking doors, Windows, sheds, and generally taking care of their property for a change.

Hadn't thought about that.

My tale was in rural Worcestershire a good few years ago.

I don't suppose it was ever a crime free rural idyll, but we generally didn't lock sheds, and if you left something outside on your property it usually stayed there.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
That's interesting. Here in Westshire crime usually drops when they move into an area, because residents suddenly start locking doors, Windows, sheds, and generally taking care of their property for a change.

So why wouldn't they already be looking after their property?

Licramite

Über Member
Basically travellers - not even gypsies- are a law unto themselves, If anyone else, trespassed, carried out illegal attivities ranging from theft to dog baiting. then trashed the placed they would be in prison PDQ.
Not travellers.
I was involved with travellers near Montacute, calling them scum is disparaging scum.
having been involved putting them in social housing, it made little difference to there ilegal activities, they are stil a scourge to local farmers and a magnet to crime.

pplpilot

Guru
about 20 years ago company I used to work for, the MD was a bit of a toff and wasn't very 'street wise'

One day we were stood in the yard when a Chap (Gypsy) came up to us and asked us if we had any scrap metal he could have (we had tons of the stuff, being a heavy Engineering company) The MD tore a strip off him and sent him on his way threatening to call the police for trespassing.
so i say - 'If I were you I would have given him a token small amount because I pretty much guarantee one of these mornings there will be no metal left in this company'
'pft! we've seen the last of him!' he says...

Monday morning I arrived for work and the police were there investigating why all the brass, copper, titanium, stainless steel and other material was missing from the bonded store approx £30k worth.

Told ya so!

I was brought up in close proximity to a traveler site even went to school with some and had friends in that community and got to know the culture...

Many years ago a builder near Aston Hill (N.Wales) had some 'caravanners' turn up and they refused to move on when asked (plod couldn't really help) so the builder dug a metre wide trench around them except for a 'gateway' 8 foot wide, and said he'd give them 3hrs to leave before he isolated them properly - they said that 'they'd be stayin and nothing he could do would make any difference'. So he then filled the trench with straw, rolled a 55 gallon drum of fuel oil around the trench and then counted down very loudly from 100 while he played with a blowlamp all the while nibbling at the remaining gateway with a JCB - all hitched and gone in about 15mins.
Handy having many burly builders around ready to help, oh and the two coppers using the blowlamp to light fags might have helped too....

subaqua

What’s the point
Many years ago a builder near Aston Hill (N.Wales) had some 'caravanners' turn up and they refused to move on when asked (plod couldn't really help) so the builder dug a metre wide trench around them except for a 'gateway' 8 foot wide, and said he'd give them 3hrs to leave before he isolated them properly - they said that 'they'd be stayin and nothing he could do would make any difference'. So he then filled the trench with straw, rolled a 55 gallon drum of fuel oil around the trench and then counted down very loudly from 100 while he played with a blowlamp all the while nibbling at the remaining gateway with a JCB - all hitched and gone in about 15mins.
Handy having many burly builders around ready to help, oh and the two coppers using the blowlamp to light fags might have helped too....

I can actually verify this , was a big talking point for years in all the local pubs. especially the Melrose ( 1st place i saw strippers in N Wales :0 )

Top Bottom