Gypsy Invasion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
but is apparently now clean.

I always find it funny that it is so close to being an anagram of Guardian ;)
I don't suppose it would be clean for long if the tales above are anything to go by...

My father in law was a copper, retired 2 decades ago. In the 60s they'd book their air rifle out of Found Property and take pot shots at the caravans until they moved on, or would get the farmer to put a bull in the field.

On one occasion the head traveller said to him, "Let's have a fight. I win, we stay. You win, we move on." Father in law pretended to think about this, then agreed. As the bloke was taking his jumper off over his head he got punched in the face and knocked out. They moved on.

That was 45 years ago, but now society at large is supposed to be more civilised.

subaqua

What’s the point
for the purposes of balance

I did see a "do as you likey" stumble out of the mobile home at 07.30 drop his kecks and lay a massive cable. then watch his wife/mam/sister come outside and batter the remains of it out of him. the words were fairly clear. dirty scumbag , shame , family . all mentioned. so its not a generic will do

as posted earlier. people are scum whatever the background, some of the hoorays in London should be taken outside and given a good talking to.

swansonj

Guru
There is a dearth of shouts of racism and travellerphobia on this thread.
Perhaps some of us are still reeling under the discovery of just how much some people are able to stigmatise and demonise a group of their fellow human beings. It's not specifically the racism or the travellerphobia that scares me, it's the ability to direct that much loathing and contempt at a group, however defined, of fellow human beings.

Perhaps some of us are still reeling under the discovery of just how much some people are able to stigmatise and demonise a group of their fellow human beings. It's not specifically the racism or the travellerphobia that scares me, it's the ability to direct that much loathing and contempt at a group, however defined, of fellow human beings.

Is it their race or their conduct that is the cause of all this angst?

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't have an issue with contempt and loathing, especially as some people undoubtedly deserves it, just so long as it stops there and doesn't escalate to shoving them in gas chambers.

I'm all for universal love and cuddles, but how do you cuddle someone who's having a Forest Gump in the street?

swansonj

Guru
Is it their race or their conduct that is the cause of all this angst?
I draw your attention to what I said: "it's the ability to direct that much loathing and contempt, at a group, however defined..."
And your use of the word "angst" is an attempt to sanitise something rather more unpleasant.

swansonj

Guru
Or is it simply someone with a decent vocabulary?
No. But have a like anyway^_^

I draw your attention to what I said: "it's the ability to direct that much loathing and contempt, at a group, however defined..."
And your use of the word "angst" is an attempt to sanitise something rather more unpleasant.

So is it the race or the conduct?

Dan B

Disengaged member
The basis of stereotyping people is that you ascribe to them conduct that you have not actually observed of them but which you believe to be typical of other people who share some characteristic with them - race, lifestyle choice, sexual orientation, groupset manufacturer, whatever. It tends to be pretty irrelevant what that characteristic actually is

Reactions: srw
The basis of stereotyping people is that you ascribe to them conduct that you have not actually observed of them but which you believe to be typical of other people who share some characteristic with them - race, lifestyle choice, sexual orientation, groupset manufacturer, whatever. It tends to be pretty irrelevant what that characteristic actually is
Best to move away from the abstract and the hypothetical. Rules and regulations should apply across the board. The failure to enforce based on erroneous belief that it goes against a cultural and racial practice makes it worse for all including the group.

Top Bottom